Price of Gasoline.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
vraiblonde said:
Hasn't anyone noticed that gas prices vary from state to state? Why do you suppose that is?

The federal gas tax is 18.4 cents per gallon. Maryland gets 23.5 cents per gallon.
:yikes:
How else would the state be able to provide us with all the services they provide?:sarcasm:

The "shortage" is not a true shortage according to AAA. Stations have to run themselves out of gas that is in their tanks before the new gas w/ethanol can be added. Unfortunately, the country (read: oil companies) was not prepared for the switch to ethanol so we get to foot the bill for the conversion to allow for more distillation of the corn to etahanol.

Hopefully, the prices will be up for only a few months while everyone gets their acts together w/ the ethanol thing.:fingerscrossed:

kom526 said:
:yikes:
How else would the state be able to provide us with all the services they provide?:sarcasm:

The "shortage" is not a true shortage according to AAA. Stations have to run themselves out of gas that is in their tanks before the new gas w/ethanol can be added. Unfortunately, the country (read: oil companies) was not prepared for the switch to ethanol so we get to foot the bill for the conversion to allow for more distillation of the corn to etahanol.

Hopefully, the prices will be up for only a few months while everyone gets their acts together w/ the ethanol thing.:fingerscrossed:

Well, that's hopeful news! :yay:

R

Revvin67

Stills legal now?

So, basically the additive ethanol is now mandated to be added to our fuel tanks. Gee, didn't this get outlawed years ago when a bunch of locals used to make it (for medicinal purposes mind you). Think how great it would be to legalize the stills again and produce our own ethanol....strictly for fuel of course. :coffee:

bcp

In My Opinion
harleygirl said:
Your grocery cart takes gas?? :confused:

He uses gas to get the paint off of his hands and clothing.
it is really cutting into his political funds.

bcp

In My Opinion
cdsulhoff said:
His father owns a garage door company. And my husband runs the residential department of the company..

On the bright side,
since people wont be able to afford to drive, there will be no need to have a garage door that actually opens since the car will never leave again.

R

Revvin67

Shortage

Two stations in Waldorf yesterday were out of fuel...St. Charles Citgo and Parkway Mobil. Good time for everyone to take a couple of weeks vacation and stay home and not use any gasoline. That would shake things up. :war:

ylexot

Super Genius
Speaking of ethanol, I've been looking at possibly getting a Chevy Equinox or Pontiac Torrent and remembered the GM ads saying how they have sooooo many "flex fuel" (ethanol capable) vehicles. So, I checked to see which vehicles have this capability...it's all the massive gas-hog vehicles! :dork:

YO GM - If somebody is buying a friggin' Suburban, they do not care about fuel economy/alternative fuels/ecology/etc! Start with the econo-box vehicles!

ylexot

Super Genius
Revvin67 said:
So, basically the additive ethanol is now mandated to be added to our fuel tanks. Gee, didn't this get outlawed years ago when a bunch of locals used to make it (for medicinal purposes mind you). Think how great it would be to legalize the stills again and produce our own ethanol....strictly for fuel of course. :coffee:
Actually, I don't think stills are illegal. What is illegal is selling the product. I think there is also a cap on how much you can produce. I know those are the legalities with beer/wine anyway. Distillation could be a different animal though since you can easily make toxic concoctions...

cdsulhoff

bcp said:
On the bright side,
since people wont be able to afford to drive, there will be no need to have a garage door that actually opens since the car will never leave again.

Hey !!! Watch your mouth!! No service means no money for living...

kom526

ylexot said:
Speaking of ethanol, I've been looking at possibly getting a Chevy Equinox or Pontiac Torrent and remembered the GM ads saying how they have sooooo many "flex fuel" (ethanol capable) vehicles. So, I checked to see which vehicles have this capability...it's all the massive gas-hog vehicles! :dork:

YO GM - If somebody is buying a friggin' Suburban, they do not care about fuel economy/alternative fuels/ecology/etc! Start with the econo-box vehicles!
What is the availibilty of E85 fuels on the East Coast? I was under the impression that the majorty of the E85 vehicles in the U.S. are in the Mid West.

Ok, I checked, there are 3 E85 stations in MD. :bigwhoop: Greenbelt, Annapolis, and Fort Meade.

Last edited:

ylexot

Super Genius
kom526 said:
What is the availibilty of E85 fuels on the East Coast? I was under the impression that the majorty of the E85 vehicles in the U.S. are in the Mid West.

Ok, I checked, there are 3 E85 stations in MD. :bigwhoop: Greenbelt, Annapolis, and Fort Meade.
I was thinking that the high gas prices might the the American people to actually do something about it (which is why I'm actually for high gas prices). Ethanol is a first logical step so I figured if I was going to get a new car, I'd like to get one that is already prepared for ethanol.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Legal ability to distill alcohol strictly for use as a fuel has been around since at least 1980. You do need to apply and obatin a permit from the BATF, a small plant is allowed to produce up to 10,000 gallons per year without paying a bond for the permit.

Here is the Fed Regulation http://www.atf.treas.gov/regulations/27cfr19.html applicable part starts at section 19.901

Last edited:

kom526

ylexot said:
I was thinking that the high gas prices might the the American people to actually do something about it (which is why I'm actually for high gas prices). Ethanol is a first logical step so I figured if I was going to get a new car, I'd like to get one that is already prepared for ethanol.
I want to get an E85 vehicle for my next one also. I won't be ready for another 3-5 years so I may be in good shape as far the technology and availibility of the vehicles and fuel. I really wish that the gubmint had taken the oil crisis of the 70's more seriously, but what can you do?

MMDad

Lem Putt
ylexot said:
Actually, I don't think stills are illegal. What is illegal is selling the product. I think there is also a cap on how much you can produce. I know those are the legalities with beer/wine anyway. Distillation could be a different animal though since you can easily make toxic concoctions...
What got the stills busted years ago were the "revenuers" because taxes were not being paid. Kind of like Al Capone being brought down for taxes. Federally, it's legal to produce, drink, and sell grain alcohol as long as you pay taxes.

State laws can regulate and tax the process, but I am not aware of any state outright banning distilling your own alcohol.

ylexot

Super Genius
kom526 said:
I really wish that the gubmint had taken the oil crisis of the 70's more seriously, but what can you do?
It was not the government that needed to take it more seriously, it was the people. They did take it seriously for a while, but people are short-sighted and have short attention spans. Companies will give you whatever you want and when people weren't hurting because of gas prices, they wanted BIGGER!

MMDad

Lem Putt
ylexot said:
It was not the government that needed to take it more seriously, it was the people. They did take it seriously for a while, but people are short-sighted and have short attention spans. Companies will give you whatever you want and when people weren't hurting because of gas prices, they wanted BIGGER!
:yay: And that's what is going to fix this temporary price hike. Alternative fuels are not currently cost effective. High oil prices makes alternative fuels more cost effective. That will bring down petroleum demand, and along with it prices.

Likewise, people will pay more attention to mileage when they buy a car, as well as ability to use alternative fuels.

While these prices may hurt today, in the long run they will be good for the economy as we bring the fuel source home. It will also have a side effect of reducing the cash flow into the Middle East.

J

JPC, Sr.

Faith Without Works is Dead.

harleygirl said:
Your grocery cart takes gas?? :confused:
:coffee: The shopping cart is free and I like free, but I can ride the County STS Bus from 29B up to Waldorf for only $1.50 and the Keller cummuter bus from 29B to Washington D.C. for $5.75 and of course that is one way so we must pay a second time for the Bus ride back to 29B.

:yay: So public transit is working fairly well. :howdy:

kom526

ylexot said:
Maybe I should have stated that the USG could've been more pro active in pursuing alternative energy sources and extolling their benefits to the public. I do agree with the statement about the people needing to be more serious about alternative energy solutions. I am by no means a tree hugger, but I do care about my environment AND my checkbook and I'd like to see a conversion to E85 nationwide.

It will take a while to get E85 on track but hopefully it can get done within the next 20 years. I heard a proposal that the USG should sell closed military bases to the oil companies provided that they put refineries on the land to increase capacity. I believe the idea was a non starter due to the disance from ports and the ensuing costs to transport. If the same idea was to applied to ethanol it would be a win win situation. Less dependence on foreign oil, the distillation plants are closer to where the main corn producing areas are, jobs in those areas would increase, family farms would be saved (provided that the cost per bushel was more than the cost to grow), and a cleaner environment. (What kind of Utopia am I dreaming up? :killingme )I am trying to be serious, but this does sound like a major case of "pie in the sky".

You can't make me take off my rose colored glasses. :lmao: