Reality of Gun Ownership

Xaquin44

I see... so I call 911 and make the intruder hears me, hoping he will just run away. Intruder decides he's not going back to jail for nothing and takes us hostage. He kills my son first as a means to show how serious he is. Then he decides to rape my wife. The cops - 90 minutes later - show up and surround my house. Negotiators come and talk to the intruder. The intruder loses his patience and kills my other kid and my dog. The swat teams decides to break in, killing the intruder and my wife. I'm the only one left.

I think I'll take my chances.

YES!

that's the spirit!

Novus Collectus

It's before...it is your other option to firing off a couple of rounds, managing to not only hit the intruder but also your kid, cat, and 2nd uncle who was crashing on your couch.
:frown:

Um, that can be avoided by one...knowing yourbackstop....two....using the right kind of ammo.
A house is filled with a lot of empty space anyway and it is not like you are aiming at the uncle in the other room, you are aiming at the intruder. Besides, a wounded kid is better than one raped and killed by an intruder because you didn't have a gun to stop them with.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
that's fine, and the vast majority of the time that weapon never gets fired. The reason for that being that the mace and/or taser usually work just fine.

I'm not saying that you can never use a gun (or even that you shouldn't), I'm just pointing out alternatives.

I never said it was not an alternative, but what I did say is that it is not a good alternative. Tasers and mace are good in certain situations, home defense is not one of them in general.

PsyOps

Pixelated
that's fine, and the vast majority of the time that weapon never gets fired. The reason for that being that the mace and/or taser usually work just fine.

I'm not saying that you can never use a gun (or even that you shouldn't), I'm just pointing out alternatives.

I could also use my Samurai sword. Who'd ever expect that?

Xaquin44

I never said it was not an alternative, but not a good alternative. Tasers and mace are good in certain situations, home defense is not one of them in general.

why?

because .00528736% of the population doesn't get affected as much?

(stat is completely made up, but not too far off)

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

Um, that can be avoided by one...knowing yourbackstop....two....using the right kind of ammo.
A house is filled with a lot of empty space anyway and it is not like you are aiming at the uncle in the other room, you are aiming at the intruder. Besides, a wounded kid is better than one raped and killed by an intruder because you didn't have a gun to stop them with.

So, what I'm hearing is...It's ok to shoot your kid, as long as you also hit the home intruder? :confused:
Well now that doesn't sound like something I can support.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
why?

because .00528736% of the population doesn't get affected as much?

(stat is completely made up, but not too far off)

No, the type of person you are going to encounter, the arms they are likely to have, the confines of a living room, obstructions ect....

PsyOps

Pixelated
So, what I'm hearing is...It's ok to shoot your kid, as long as you also hit the home intruder? :confused:
Well now that doesn't sound like something I can support.

So, through your inaction the intruder kills your kid. Now what? Is it okay to take your chances then?

PsyOps

Pixelated
eehhh

I guess you could, but they don't really have the range that mace or a stun gun does.

You'd be better off using your NINJA THROWING STARS!

Swords are silent and you know your home better than the intruder. Stealth is the better tactic with a sword. You can cut a leg off or maybe just a foot. You've incapacitated the intruder. No one dies. Everyone is happy.

This_person

Idk :shrug:
Are you ok with killing your kid because someone in your house *might* be armed? You tell me. I'm sure not ok with that.
Are you okay with losing your child, or orphaning your child, because the intruder might *not* be armed? You tell me. I'm sure not ok with that.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

Swords are silent and you know your home better than the intruder. Stealth is the better tactic with a sword. You can cut a leg off or maybe just a foot. You've incapacitated the intruder. No one dies. Everyone is happy.

Hmmm....Pretty sure there are some important parts of a leg carrying blood...I'm betting that someone dies considering it takes so long for the cops to show up :smile:

smcop

The reason for that being that the mace and/or taser usually work just fine

That hasn't been my experience. As a matter of fact, the only incident I personally know of where deadly force was met with less than leathal force in southern maryland the officer had to transition to deadly force because the taser was ineffective.

What real world experience do you have to back up your position?