Reality of Gun Ownership

Xaquin44

Mace is only effective on a certain percentage of the population. Tasers are not always effective in their application, different clothing can determine a tasers effectiveness. A firearm is by far the best defense.

Lots of things can affect firearms too.

I'm not claiming either method is perfect, just stating that there are other options.

smcop

Lots of things can affect firearms too.

I'm not claiming either method is perfect, just stating that there are other options.

Here it is. Tasers don't always work on people if they are wearing coats. Mace doesn't work on everyone. Bullets fired from a gun, have their desired effect when they strike their targets?

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

Mace is only effective on a certain percentage of the population. Tasers are not always effective in their application, different clothing can determine a tasers effectiveness. A firearm is by far the best defense.

best is objective.
I'd say that if you have a family, then depending on the location of the perp, certain firearms wouldn't be a good option because the chance a projectile will go through the wall and strike a family member...among other negatives that firearms have.

Xaquin44

Here it is. Tasers don't always work on people if they are wearing coats. Mace doesn't work on everyone. Bullets fired from a gun, have their desired effect when they strike their targets?

yeah

like I said.

neither method is perfect lol

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
uuhhh

I don't recall guns, tasers, or mace being used in Home Alone .... then again, it's been many years lol

all the same, I'd appreciate you not making up complete b.s. and attributing it to me =)

GD people are sensative.

sar·casm
Pronunciation: \ˈsär-ˌka-zəm\
Function: noun
Etymology: French or Late Latin; French sarcasme, from Late Latin sarcasmos, from Greek sarkasmos, from sarkazein to tear flesh, bite the lips in rage, sneer, from sark-, sarx flesh; probably akin to Avestan thwarəs- to cut
Date: 1550
1: a sharp and often satirical or ironic utterance designed to cut or give pain
2 a: a mode of satirical wit depending for its effect on bitter, caustic, and often ironic language that is usually directed against an individual b: the use or language of sarcasm

Mace and tazers are on the same level of defense Kevin used to defend his home. I'm sorry that you can't see why these are not viable options in a home invasion scenario when you are going to encounter a bad person that is likely armed themselves.

Novus Collectus

best is objective.
I'd say that if you have a family, then depending on the location of the perp, certain firearms wouldn't be a good option because the chance a projectile will go through the wall and strike a family member...among other negatives that firearms have.
If someone is in the house and is willing to hurt you and your family members, it is more important to insure they can't and the odds of a bullet hitting the family member may be a lot less than them getting hurt or killed if you can't stop the intruder.
....and there are types of bullets and firearms which can minimize or generally eliminate overpenetration one can use anyway.

A firearm is the best self defense tool without training and without the proper loads....and with proper training, practice and proper rounds, it is even better.

Xaquin44

GD people are sensative.

they're also stupid .... I've seen my fair share of both here, so forgive me if I don't always note sarcasm =)

Mace and tazers are on the same level of defense Kevin used to defend his home. I'm sorry that you can't see why these are not viable options in a home invasion scenario when you are going to encounter a bad person that is likely armed themselves.

I'm sorry you can't see why they are.

Know what's better then guns?

Explosives.

Guns can miss.

Novus Collectus

yeah

like I said.

neither method is perfect lol

But even when they don't strike their targets they often have the desired effect. There is nothing more that gets some people running away than being shot at. And besides, a gun shot, even a missed one, brings the police and is like a call for help.

Novus Collectus

Know what else brings the police? A call dialed 911 :lol:

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.
At least with the gunshot they know the police are going to be showing up, but unless they see you on the phone, they won't know you called the cops. They are more likely to run because they do not want to be caught.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
they're also stupid .... I've seen my fair share of both here, so forgive me if I don't always note sarcasm =)

I'm sorry you can't see why they are.

Know what's better then guns?

Explosives.

Guns can miss.

Tasers and mace are NOT GOOD options in a HD situation. Yes they are options, not good ones however. No matter what you want to tell yourself, experts and logic will prove otherwise.

There is a time and place for tasers and OC spray, once someone is in your home are not it, no more than placing banana peels inside your threshold.

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.
At least with the gunshot they know the police are going to be showing up, but unless they see you on the phone, they won't know you called the cops. They are more likely to run because they do not want to be caught.

What if I yell out, "Hello?! 911? Yes. I'm at XXXXX X X and there is a possibly armed intruder in my house! Oh, you've got a unit right around the corner? Fantastic!"?
That would probably scare the intruder a little :shrug:

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

Tasers and mace are NOT GOOD options in a HD situation. Yes they are options, not good ones however. No matter what you want to tell yourself, experts and logic will prove otherwise.

There is a time and place for tasers and OC spray, once someone is in your home are not it, no more than placing banana peels inside your threshold.

Gun nuts make me laugh. :lol: