Reality of Gun Ownership

Xaquin44

Tasers and mace are NOT GOOD options in a HD situation. Yes they are options, not good ones however. No matter what you want to tell yourself, experts and logic will prove otherwise.

There is a time and place for tasers and OC spray, once someone is in your home are not it, no more than placing banana peels inside your threshold.

care to explain why?

sure tasers and mace don't work -all- the time .... same as guns and anything else under the sun.

The fact is that they work (and work well) most of the time. Same as a gun.

(well, not the -exact- same, but effective none the less)

This_person

There are a myriad of defensive actions for a homeowner to take. Because of the endless hypothetical situations, it would be impossible to list them all.
Do you believe as the others stated that shooting an intruder for the mere fact that he/she is an intruder is a reasonable defense?

PsyOps

Pixelated
What if I yell out, "Hello?! 911? Yes. I'm at XXXXX X X and there is a possibly armed intruder in my house! Oh, you've got a unit right around the corner? Fantastic!"?
That would probably scare the intruder a little :shrug:

Is this before or after the intruder killed my family?

smcop

they're also stupid .... I've seen my fair share of both here, so forgive me if I don't always note sarcasm =)

I'm sorry you can't see why they are.

Know what's better then guns?

Explosives.

Guns can miss.

Your points are sensless. Tasers and mace are less than leathal options, for situations that deadly force is not justified. If a person is breaking into your home and presenting a threat to you, not running away, not surrendering, then deadly force is likely justified. Don't be the moron who brought mace to a knife fight, or a taser to a gun fight.

Xaquin44

Your points are sensless. Tasers and mace are less than leathal options, for situations that deadly force is not justified. If a person is breaking into your home and presenting a threat to you, not running away, not surrendering, then deadly force is likely justified. Don't be the moron who brought mace to a knife fight, or a taser to a gun fight.

Don't be the moron who brought a gun to a rocket launcher fight.

Novus Collectus

What if I yell out, "Hello?! 911? Yes. I'm at XXXXX X X and there is a possibly armed intruder in my house! Oh, you've got a unit right around the corner? Fantastic!"?
That would probably scare the intruder a little :shrug:
Right, reveal to them where you are in the house so they can find you faster.
Maybe you should also say "and the homeowner has a gun".
But in anycase, if there is no time for the call in the first place, like with a quick forced entry, what will you do if you don't have a gun?

YOu know what would work better? Have an alarm system with a loudspeaker outside the house and use a recording of sirens approaching. Of course though if they are high on PCP and just don't give a damn or are suicidal and want the cops to shoot them, you are screwed in both situations unless you have a gun.

smcop

Don't be the moron who brought a gun to a rocket launcher fight.

Yes, that's right. Burgulars, looking to steal your families china are going to be carrying rocket launchers with them. You really do go outside the realm of possibilities don't you?

Xaquin44

Yes, that's right. Burgulars, looking to steal your families china are going to be carrying rocket launchers with them. You really do go outside the realm of possibilities don't you?

duh.

I have the rocket launcher.

I just hope they didn't bring a tank =(

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
care to explain why?

sure tasers and mace don't work -all- the time .... same as guns and anything else under the sun.

The fact is that they work (and work well) most of the time. Same as a gun.

(well, not the -exact- same, but effective none the less)

Tasers and mace are usually used by someone that is backed up with a gun. Most the time it is another person that already has the weapon drawn as back up. For starters.

PsyOps

Pixelated
It's before...it is your other option to firing off a couple of rounds, managing to not only hit the intruder but also your kid, cat, and 2nd uncle who was crashing on your couch.
:frown:

I see... so I call 911 and make the intruder hears me, hoping he will just run away. Intruder decides he's not going back to jail for nothing and takes us hostage. He kills my son first as a means to show how serious he is. Then he decides to rape my wife. The cops - 90 minutes later - show up and surround my house. Negotiators come and talk to the intruder. The intruder loses his patience and kills my other kid and my dog. The swat teams decides to break in, killing the intruder and my wife. I'm the only one left.

I think I'll take my chances.

Xaquin44

Tasers and mace are usually used by someone that is backed up with a gun. Most the time it is another person that already has the weapon drawn as back up. For starters.

that's fine, and the vast majority of the time that weapon never gets fired. The reason for that being that the mace and/or taser usually work just fine.

I'm not saying that you can never use a gun (or even that you shouldn't), I'm just pointing out alternatives.