Redskins/Cowboys game...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
We still...

I wouldn't say it was the best we could have put on the field. Our two best defensive players were out with injuries, Sean Taylor and Carlos Rogers. Just with Taylor we win the game because there is no way TO goes for four deep balls.

...had a good shot at winning the game.

But it is a fact that when #21 is on the field with #81, #81 does not look like a thoroughbred among plough horses like he did Sunday. Shawn has made TO very, very ordinary in the past.

And, please, never, ever refer to Carlos as one of our two best players. He's a solid cover guy and we are better with him on the field, but, please, there are just too many dropped int's, game changing opportunities, that he has let slip away.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I read in the Post that TO does not have a 100 yd game vs the Skins since Sean Taylor has been here.

Have you stepped back from the ledge yet Larry? Week 17 rematch with Taylor back in the secondary, could be a good one.

angelbaby

...had a good shot at winning the game.

But it is a fact that when #21 is on the field with #81, #81 does not look like a thoroughbred among plough horses like he did Sunday. Shawn has made TO very, very ordinary in the past.

And, please, never, ever refer to Carlos as one of our two best players. He's a solid cover guy and we are better with him on the field, but, please, there are just too many dropped int's, game changing opportunities, that he has let slip away.

Carlos Rogers sucks. You would never catch me wearing his jersey. I know Shawn Springs has a lot on his mind BUT He sucked on sunday. What makes it worse is he ran his mouth about how good he is. Well show it! T.O. is scared to get hit by Sean Taylor. He has no fear of that with Shawn Springs.

OldHillcrestGuy

I believe that with Shawn Taylor there would have been a completely different outcome, same with Carlos Rodgers. I am by no means a Rodgers fan, you wouldnt ever catch me in his jersey either, but he is still better then the personel we had playing in our secondary on Sunday. We are really weak with our backup players in just about all positions.

Two to three years ago the Cowboys were sh#t, Redskins not much better both teams rebuilding, both teams have owners that like to kind of get in the way, Danny Boy with Jeff George and Dion Sanders, JJ in Dallas with one of those young QB's that never turned out to be much.
Skins hire high profile coach in Gibbs, Cowboys Parcell's, Skins get bigtime assitant coaches, Bugal,Williams and Saunders. Both teams go after big free agents, why is there such a difference between these 2 teams did the Cowboys have more higher draft picks or did the Skins waste alot of picks on stupid trades.:shrug:

Larry whats your take on this subject.:coffee:

LateApex

Is that all you did in your other 102 posts?

Naw...

Made fun of the smart rednecks...

I just find it extremely funny how someone can get worked up over a bunch of pixels on the screen.

I laugh even more when I can goad the person into an epileptic fit...

T

toppick08

Naw...

Made fun of the smart rednecks...

I just find it extremely funny how someone can get worked up over a bunch of pixels on the screen.

I laugh even more when I can goad the person into an epileptic fit...

Naw is a "redneck phrase". You better check your rearin'.:razz:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
If...

I read in the Post that TO does not have a 100 yd game vs the Skins since Sean Taylor has been here.

Have you stepped back from the ledge yet Larry? Week 17 rematch with Taylor back in the secondary, could be a good one.

...by some accident of epic proportions Gibbs decides to just let it all hang out and play to win, we MAY be in a position where we need to beat Dallas to get in the playoffs and that MAY need a win to gain home field.

I was on the ledge the Eagles game. The Dallas game, I've finally, FINALLY accepted that Gibbs will not play to win but only to not lose.

I think, all things considered, Williams did a good job on Sunday; he pressured Romo and made him think. Dallas simply worked with what they had, the better athletes, TO.

Williams did not do a good job against the Eagles. They are SIMPLE. You can NOT let Westbrook beat you. They have NOTHING else. Dallas is not simple. They have good RB's, other good WR's besides Owens and a great tight end. Greg took a calculated risk, shut everything else down and made them beat us with Owens. And they did. I give Greg credit for trying because he did the opposite with New England; took away the big plays and made them beat us running and short passes. And they did.

Gibbs, on the other hand, is gonna work his system no matter what and only grudgingly use what he has; a great athlete at qb.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Here's the thing...

Larry whats your take on this subject.:coffee:

...are we better with #21 and #22 in there? Sure we are BUT do we go in with the same game plan if they are not hurt? Maybe he, Greg, goes back to the New England plan of shutting down the big play and make Romo beat you with patience and runs like Brady did?

Great defenses can handle the run, screens and underneath passes with 4 lineman and 3 linebackers leaving the db's, especially the safeties, to attack with. That means they don't have to choose their poison. If you have a great deep threat, you're qb will never have time to get it off. If you have great running and screens and control passes, they've not only got that covered but will shut it down hard. You HAVE to have a balanced offense to compete with a great d. You can't rely on one or the other.

We're a good, not great defense. We have to choose. I give otter credit; he said in the off season our true weakness is D line. I argued the young guys would step it up, Montgomery and Golston. It ain't happening. We can shut you down short. We can shut you down deep. We can't do both.

In any event, our D did not lose that game. 28 points ain't great but our offense had time and opportunity to score more and that equals a win in anyone's post game script.

If you score.

kom526

Can (should) Joe take a page out of "the 'ol ball coach's book and let the pass set up the run? (Without the getting your qb killed part?) I appreciate hard nose football as much as the other guy but I could be persuaded to enjoy a healthy dose whoopass (a la Detroit) delivered BY the boys in burgundy and gold.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
This argument...

Can (should) Joe take a page out of "the 'ol ball coach's book and let the pass set up the run? (Without the getting your qb killed part?) I appreciate hard nose football as much as the other guy but I could be persuaded to enjoy a healthy dose whoopass (a la Detroit) delivered BY the boys in burgundy and gold.

...has been made by bunches of ex-players and long time commentators; The reason why Gibbs v.1 went from 0-5 to 8-8 the first year and then on to glory was that what Joe was doing, trying to fit his players to his system, gave way to focusing on what his players could do; Joe HAD to win or lose his job.

Gibbs 2.0 does not HAVE to win. He is here, he's even said this, to 'rebuild' the team and he has and we have the most unusual system in the league in terms of coaching and player personnel.

Jason CAN move and create and run and wing it. We've got Cooley. We've got little wr's that can find holes and Jason has the arm to fit it in tight places. That is anathema to ball control, clock control, huge coaching staff dictating what happens on the field.

I don't even think it's a matter of 'setting up the run' with the pass. I think it is a matter of attacking the defense with what they are showing. People attack our D where it is weak. Are we playing to stop the big play or the run or short passes?

I think the league is moving to qb's calling more and more and I think we SHOULD let Jason do it. I think we will not.

Until it is too late.

OldHillcrestGuy

..We're a good, not great defense. We have to choose. I give otter credit; he said in the off season our true weakness is D line. I argued the young guys would step it up, Montgomery and Golston. It ain't happening. We can shut you down short. We can shut you down deep. We can't do both.

In any event, our D did not lose that game. 28 points ain't great but our offense had time and opportunity to score more and that equals a win in anyone's post game script.

If you score.

Your right Larry if we had any type of a consistant pass rush, put pressure on the quarterback they would not be able to sit there and pick our defensive backs apart. Only times it seems like they get a shot at the QB, is when they blitz the backs (Landry and Taylor) and then that leads people open downfield if they dont get in quick enough. We dont even have a good blitzing linebacker like Arrington, maybe they should let Rocky loose more.

LateApex

I'm sorry but I just don't see anything in J Campbell to lead me to believe that he can be a top tier QB. I believe he'll be a decent QB, but not one that will take you guys to the superbowl.

He threw for a bunch of yards, but that's to be expected if you attempt 50+ passes. I don't think he's accurate enough. I'm not even sure he has the brain to play the position either. The coaches limit what he can do because he just doesn't have "it."

kom526

I'm sorry but I just don't see anything in J Campbell to lead me to believe that he can be a top tier QB. I believe he'll be a decent QB, but not one that will take you guys to the superbowl.

He threw for a bunch of yards, but that's to be expected if you attempt 50+ passes. I don't think he's accurate enough. I'm not even sure he has the brain to play the position either. The coaches limit what he can do because he just doesn't have "it."

Only time will tell. Gibbs and Saunders need to let him grow into the role by letting him take more control of the offense. Gibbs limits what Campbell does because Gibbs has never had a "gunslinger qb" mentality. I don't think he is doing too bad after only 17 starts.

MMDad

Lem Putt
You don't need a top tier QB to win the superbowl. Rypien was never better than decent.

angelbaby

He wasnt undefeated in Auburn for nothing!!

Last edited:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
In his...

...first start as a pro, last year against the Bucs, very first play he stepped back and laid a 60 yarder right in Brandon Lloyds hands, in full stride who was well covered but did have a step on his man.

Never mind Brandon Lloyds qualifications and that he dropped it like it weighed 500#'s, but to step out there under that kind of excitement and pressure, I'm sorry; he's got the accuracy.

He is mobile yet is looking to throw the whole time when scrambling.

His arm strength speaks for itself on any number of throws he'd made the last 17 games including a bunch of TD passes in close quarters the last two weeks.

It seems pretty clear he works through a number of receivers and isn't locking onto his first guy or a favorite.

It appears the Pat's cured him of carrying the ball too low and holding it with only one hand when he's looking.

He's not ready for the pro bowl, at least not this year but I do not think he is one of our weak spots.

LateApex

He wasnt undefeated in Auburn for nothing!!

The college game is totally different than the pro game. You often times hear players, coming straight out of college, stating the pro game is much much faster than in college.

Many times big name schools get the better athletes than other schools they play or that are in their division. So, basically they are playing JV teams.

I'm not even going to mention the 2 1k+ rushers he had in the backfield...

I just took a look at his college stats.. Still not impressed..

Personally, I like the kid. I think they way overpaid for him. There was no need to move into the 1st round to take him. Too high a price for a player with question marks.

He's fairly mobile, but doesn't have the 6th sense that someone is coming. Holds the ball in a way that he can be stripped. Is much better at checkdowns than primary reads. I think he's a bit afraid of primary reads because of INTs last year. That can be a mental roadblock.

Has a nice arm with decent touch on the ball. Needs work on his accuracy though, especially if he is moving. He tends to sail the ball high when he's going forward and throws it into the ground when going back.

Seems like a good kid with a future in this league. I don't know if he will ever be an elite QB, but I do think he can be valuable to the redskins.

LateApex

...first start as a pro, last year against the Bucs, very first play he stepped back and laid a 60 yarder right in Brandon Lloyds hands, in full stride who was well covered but did have a step on his man.

Never mind Brandon Lloyds qualifications and that he dropped it like it weighed 500#'s, but to step out there under that kind of excitement and pressure, I'm sorry; he's got the accuracy.

He is mobile yet is looking to throw the whole time when scrambling.

His arm strength speaks for itself on any number of throws he'd made the last 17 games including a bunch of TD passes in close quarters the last two weeks.

It seems pretty clear he works through a number of receivers and isn't locking onto his first guy or a favorite.

It appears the Pat's cured him of carrying the ball too low and holding it with only one hand when he's looking.

He's not ready for the pro bowl, at least not this year but I do not think he is one of our weak spots.

I base it on what I see in the games, combined with what I see on the stats sheet... no matter what those netural talking head are saying, the statistical truth is that Campbell's numbers rank him in the middle of the pack, or somewhat below, in every category... the best thing he does is not throw a lot of ints, but he does seem to fumble the ball with some regularity...

I look at the guy throw the ball, and I see a guy who's not particularly accurate... he doesn't hurt teams with the deep ball... I'll grant you that his receivers are not particularly good, and that his offensive line is banged up, but ultimately, the guy's a sub-.500 quarterback, and when his team asks him to throw the ball often (more than 30 times a game), they have lost EVERY TIME... 8 games with 30+ attempts, 8 losses... the Skins scored 17 points per game in those 8 games...

Bottom line, with Campbell as their starter this year, the Skins currently rank 22nd in passing offense... they're also 22nd in completion percentage, a hair under 60 per cent... that's a direct reflection on how he's played... at this point, Jason Campbell is not a top 20 QB in the NFL, period...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
If you...

I base it on what I see in the games, combined with what I see on the stats sheet... no matter what those netural talking head are saying, the statistical truth is that Campbell's numbers rank him in the middle of the pack, or somewhat below, in every category... the best thing he does is not throw a lot of ints, but he does seem to fumble the ball with some regularity...

I look at the guy throw the ball, and I see a guy who's not particularly accurate... he doesn't hurt teams with the deep ball... I'll grant you that his receivers are not particularly good, and that his offensive line is banged up, but ultimately, the guy's a sub-.500 quarterback, and when his team asks him to throw the ball often (more than 30 times a game), they have lost EVERY TIME... 8 games with 30+ attempts, 8 losses... the Skins scored 17 points per game in those 8 games...

Bottom line, with Campbell as their starter this year, the Skins currently rank 22nd in passing offense... they're also 22nd in completion percentage, a hair under 60 per cent... that's a direct reflection on how he's played... at this point, Jason Campbell is not a top 20 QB in the NFL, period...

...read what I wrote, then you know my perspective was as a fan. If you're gonna do a pure statistical analysis every single member of the Washington Redskins, including coaches, is sub .500 under Gibbs v. 2.0. except for those that joined the team this year.

Taylor
Moss
Portis
Samuels
Griffin
Jansen
Thomas
Randl El
Frost
Suisham
Brunell
Cooley

All of them. There's at least a few I'd keep, including Campbell.

BuddyLee

Football addict
I think Carlos was having his best year as a pro. Besides, what other Redskin defensive player has a knack for intercepting balls on a consistant basis the past few years?:lmao: