Redskins talkin smack thread

BuddyLee

Football addict
http://clarkjudge.blogs.sportsline.c...84866/11103373

Alexander passes test; Skins to add him

My sources in Washington tell me that running back Shaun Alexander looked good in this morning's workout and, if he passes the physical, will be signed by the club. Alexander showed up in good shape and did enough that club officials recommended adding him. He is expected to be paid the league minimum, and will serve as a backup to Clinton Portis -- in effect, taking the spot of Ladell Betts, who will be out 3-4 weeks.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I'm cool with league minimum.:buddies:

Zorn and Stump Michell (RB coach in Seattle) know this guy better than anyone. Maybe they can get a bit out of him. Maybe he's looking to prove something just one more time. He's at least worth a vet min shot.:lol:

BuddyLee

Football addict
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/

Click link for entire article

Betts Plays Waiting Game

Barry Svrluga reports:

Ladell Betts, whose sprained left knee is what brings Shaun Alexander to Ashburn today, just left Redskins Park and said he didn't have a good handle on how long he'll be out.

"It's a waiting game," Betts said. "It's a matter of how fast I heal up, really. ... [The amount of time necessary] could vary from person to person and how severe it is. It could be a week, two weeks, three weeks, who knows. But I don't anticipate being out too long."

Betts has 38 carries for 156 yards in the first six games of the season, backing up Clinton Portis, who is the NFL's leading rusher with 643 yards. Betts was asked if he was surprised an established back such as Alexander was being auditioned for what is likely a role as a temporary replacement.

"No, it's the nature of the business, especially when somebody goes down," he said. "I think as far as my role is, I had a pretty important role. Some people might not realize it, but you know, Clinton can't carry the ball 30-40 times a game. They got to have somebody step in. I don't know what they're going to do with Rock [Cartwright], or what the situation is. So I don't really know. But it doesn't surprise me."

There are a few punters and perhaps even a couple of other running backs who will be working out today. Durant Brooks just stopped by, and said he has not been told anything definitive about his fate. More on that in a bit.

Betts 'Dodged a Bullet'

Jason La Canfora reports:

Ladell Betts "dodged a bullet" with his knee injury Sunday, according to a source with knowledge of the situation. The injury, which initially looked as if it could be serious, is a strained lateral collateral ligament and strained hamstring, with some swelling in his calf.

The Redskins have said that the injury appears likely to sideline Betts for at least two weeks. The source expects Betts to be out about four weeks, putting him on pace for a return after the bye week.
<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->__________________

BuddyLee

Football addict
Alright, they just signed Alexander and released backup corner Justin Hamilton.

Reed Doughty the man-crush safety was just put on injured reserve for the year. His back got hit pretty good and he now has little feeling in one of his legs.

BuddyLee

Football addict
He's the former Ray Guy award winner the year before Durrant Brooks was.

Can't go anywhere but up at this point.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Redskins sign safety Michael Green after releasing Justin Hamilton today.

Green is a veteran who played with Blache in Chicago and Zorn in Seattle.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I figured they would have dumped Malcolm Kelly to IR to make room for Alexander. It's not like he is going to see any playing time this year.

BuddyLee

Football addict
I figured they would have dumped Malcolm Kelly to IR to make room for Alexander. It's not like he is going to see any playing time this year.
True. From what I hear the kid has superb hands. He needs to stay healthy for more than a few days though.

Hopefully he'll get into the game in a week or so.

BuddyLee

Football addict
Alexander was cut today. Betts is back as the back-up RB.

In place of Alexander the Skins sign defensive lineman Ryan Boschetti.

Also, Malcolm Kelly is getting good reviews for last weeks game. He ran decent routes as a third and fourth receiver.

Also, Malcolm Kelly is getting good reviews for last weeks game. He ran decent routes as a third and fourth receiver.

It was nice to see Kelly on the field. Campbell needs a big, physical target to compliment Moss. Maybe by the end of the year he can give them some productivity.

Otter

Nothing to see here

Kelly is ready to break out and they need him bad. Think Zorn will get Campbell back centered where he's not looking at one guy or looking off his reads too quickly. Big game for him this weekend and he'll have his best game as a pro. Over 100 yds receiving for Kelly and Moss. What the hell, might as well go out on a limb..:shrug:

BuddyLee

Football addict
Kelly is ready to break out and they need him bad. Think Zorn will get Campbell back centered where he's not looking at one guy or looking off his reads too quickly. Big game for him this weekend and he'll have his best game as a pro. Over 100 yds receiving for Kelly and Moss. What the hell, might as well go out on a limb..:shrug:
Would be nice. I don't know if Kelly will break out in this game but I think he'll be decent at least by next year. Before his injury he was getting raves about his ability to catch. That was his hallmark in college, able to catch anything.