Religious vs. Atheist "converters"

What best describes your experiences?

• I'm a believer and I've handed out religious info.

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • I'm a believer and have verbally promoted religion.

Votes: 16 41.0%
  • I'm an athiest and have handed out atheist info.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I'm an athiest and have verbally promoted atheism.

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • I've been given (or listened to) religious info.

Votes: 20 51.3%
  • I've been given (or listened) to atheist info.

Votes: 5 12.8%

• Total voters

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I like to "promote" atheism online, or rather debate what I find to be rather foolish. I also like to provoke Christians online. However on the other hand, all 4 of my kids believe in God, and they go to church. They know daddy doesn't believe in God, but I'll let them come to their own conclusions without convincing them.

You would never try to provoke anyone.... :lmao: :huggy:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Kinda' like people telling me that I'll like venison, if I just try it the way they prepare it? I keep tryin' it, but I still don't like it. :shrug:

Exactly. I think that anyone that promotes anything knowing your opinion on something be it meat or God, or lack there of is rude and insecure. If you really believe in something yourself you don't need other people to believe with you. You can polietely give or discuss your side without being disrespectful of the other.

Cowgirl

I've seen too many people change their lives and outlook by accepting God and believing they are not alone. From overcoming addiction to having a happier marriage the happy calmness of belief seems to work for many people. I think I'm just a little too type A and pugnacious for the whole religion thing. :lol:

What about all the religious wars? :roflmao:

Dondi

Dondi
pixiegirl said:
I think promoting religion/faith or lack there of is the works of insecure people. Your faith is personal and if you feel the need to go out and recruit others to your cause it's only because your personal beliefs aren't as strong as you'd like to think they are and you need the support of others. It's not about making others "see the light" it's about making yourself feel better because someone else shares your views. That pendelum swings both ways.

I don't think that's it at all. In fact, quite the opposite. Fundamentally speaking [pun intended], people who have a high conviction that what the bible says is true, that believe that Christ died for the sins of man so that man won't go to hell, and that the command of Jesus to go share the gospel with every creature is a duty of every Christian, and they want to share that good news with others, are the ones going out knocking on doors. It has nothing to do with needing to have someone support their beliefs or needing to feeling better about it. It's just a message that need to be spread, like Jesus and the disciples did.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Exactly. I think that anyone that promotes anything knowing your opinion on something be it meat or God, or lack there of is rude and insecure. If you really believe in something yourself you don't need other people to believe with you. You can polietely give or discuss your side without being disrespectful of the other.

Then other times it reaches a point where politeness isn't doing the trick and you have to be down right rude to get someone to stop badgering you.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I don't think that's it at all. In fact, quite the opposite. Fundamentally speaking [pun intended], people who have a high conviction that what the bible says is true, that believe that Christ died for the sins of man so that man won't go to hell, and that the command of Jesus to go share the gospel with every creature is a duty of every Christian, and they want to share that good news with others, are the ones going out knocking on doors. It has nothing to do with needing to have someone support their beliefs or needing to feeling better about it. It's just a message that need to be spread, like Jesus and the disciples did.

How convenient that you have an excuse to badger people.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones

Its one thing if that's what they believe. But how many of them "really" believe that? I can't say and neither can you. It's my opinion. It's also one thing to go out and share what you believe it's another to try to "convince" someone who doesn't want to be convinced. That's where the insecurity in belief comes in. I'm of the opinion that more than less of the people going out door to door don't have faith as strong as they'd like you to believe. Again, my opinion.

Cowgirl

they want to share that good news with others, are the ones going out knocking on doors. It has nothing to do with needing to have someone support their beliefs or needing to feeling better about it. It's just a message that need to be spread, like Jesus and the disciples did.

:eyebrow: I find it odd that they just want to "share the good news."

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
What about all the religious wars? :roflmao:

What about them? Are you speaking of the crusades? I'm talking about current systems of belief. Christianity isn't exactly aggressively expanding it's influence by war and conquest. If anything it's doing it by medical care and charity along with it's missionary message of love and redemption.