Relocating - Salary

PeoplesElbow

Agree with most of that, except the crime really isn't high here unless you count domestic violence. Been here 20+ years, never seen an actual crime (other than SMIBs parking in the fire lane in front of grocery stores).

Stay out of Nicolet park at night and you'll be fine.
Where I'm from a crime spree is when someone gets caught shoplifting from more than one store at the mall.

PeoplesElbow

You must not of found the right place to live, here.
I can do all of the above and go fishing.
You have to have some place to do that stuff in St Marys, simply not enough room. I'm at my parents house right now, there I hop in the truck drive 20 mins in any direction, stop somewhere there are no houses and can do all of that

mitzi

One income or two?

That is pretty decent, but there are a lot of couples that each make that, so there are quite a few houses in the $500k range.

Renting is a good idea, about half of the new employees we get hate it and are gone within a few years. The crime is high, traffic sucked before covid, all the disadvantages of urban life with none of the benefits. Also none of the benefits of rural life with the disadvantages.

Tired of the Southern Maryland bashing. The crime is only bad in Lexington Park and Waldorf. Yet STILL, doesn't compare to what PG County was in the 70s. What does Covid have to do with traffic?

PeoplesElbow

Tired of the Southern Maryland bashing. The crime is only bad in Lexington Park and Waldorf. Yet STILL, doesn't compare to what PG County was in the 70s. What does Covid have to do with traffic?
It doesn't compare to PG, I still consider MD a high crime place, and the justice system refuses to lock up criminals. You must not work on base, since Covid there is a lot less traffic to and from base during rush hours.

Not bashing, was preparing the OP for culture shock.

mitzi

It doesn't compare to PG, I still consider MD a high crime place, and the justice system refuses to lock up criminals. You must not work on base, since Covid there is a lot less traffic to and from base during rush hours.

Not bashing, was preparing the OP for culture shock.

No, I don't work on base. I use to fight traffic going into DC. After I got thru Waldorf, down here was a breeze.

PeoplesElbow

Not as rural as it once was. It exploded when everyone started moving here for their jobs. Is that why you're here? There are areas in the county that are still very rural.
Very rural and low crime maybe to someone that came from an urban shithole. For a frame of reference I consider the 7th and the area of Dennis Point a little rural.

mitzi

Where I'm from a crime spree is when someone gets caught shoplifting from more than one store at the mall.

As it was here. I remember the front page of the Enterprise reported a tiller stolen. I loved it and laughed compared to where I came from.

mitzi

The job, in 10 years I'm gone.

So you're one of the ones who added to the demise of rural St. Mary's creating bad traffic, woodland being dozed down for more housing subdivisions and shopping centers, etc. Yet you complain about the area. Okay.

PeoplesElbow

So you're one of the ones who added to the demise of rural St. Mary's creating bad traffic, woodland being dozed down for more housing subdivisions and shopping centers, etc. Yet you complain about the area. Okay.
I didnt bring the all the crackheads and crackwhores with me, also pretty sure they didnt come to PaxRiver for work, so I'm guessing they are natives.