Retirees, what do you do all day?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I find myself watching a lot of TV and reading. I'm going to the beach and pool more often. My house is cleaner, more detailed. I take Gretel on lots of walks. And afternoon naps.

I'm trying to decide if I'm enjoying retirement or if I need to get off my ass and get at least a part time job.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I waited a long time to be able to work on my projects when and how I saw fit, and be free from the time constraints of working. Work was just a distraction and would never get another job. And when you're tired of working on the projects, a good afternoon nap is just terrific.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
I still work part-time, because I'm the only certified Minn Kota technician in SoMd and I couldn't leave my boss/friend hanging.

I'm making adjustments in my life for a new fiancé after 8 years of being a carefree widower. I'm tasked with executing the estate of my late son. Fixing up the house left to me by Mommy Dearest and trying to make my fiancé feel comfortable while making it feel like ours.

Any free time is spent on boats, fishing, and projects I've been collecting for my idle hours of retirement. 😆

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Retired to watch the gsons. They grow every day, won't be long and this gig will be done.

I also garden more, including mom and aunt's gardens. Looking forward to winter and quilting & crocheting.

Delivering flowers sounds great!

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I'm trying to decide if I'm enjoying retirement or if I need to get off my ass and get at least a part time job.
Sounds like a perfect time to start your run for local government office and start your climb to .... what is it you call yourself as Supreme Leader?

MADPEBS1

Man, I'm still here !!!
Gag Throw Up GIF by Anime Crimes Division

LightRoasted

If I may ...
For your consideration ...

Work on whittling down the long long list of deferred maintenance home items that built up over the years. Full time work which left little time to get to those things that needed attention.

luvmygdaughters

When I retired the first time it was great. I went to the store during the day to do grocery shopping and it was so nice, no crowds at the check out. Stores were well stocked. Met my daughters for lunch a few times. Took a couple of day trips with hubby. That was it.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

I am out on disability.

I still have days where I miss my old employer in spite of all the ****ery going on in the last 18 months I was there.

Am I enjoying myself, I do get to watch Youtube and play video games all day ... along with working my way through my back catalog of books I have been buying for the past 15 years.
Take my 19 yr old daughter on a date and see the latest Deadpool Movie catching a morning matinee.
I am able to continue annoying the leftist trolls that inhabit the site :whistle:
With a lot of trouble and a lot of assistance from my daughter, I was able to replace the kitchen sink for my mother when the faucet started leaking into the cabinet below. So after finishing up I felt useful for a change. But the bruises and cuts from doing the job were numerous.

Even though an introvert, I miss the customers and fixing people's computers, I DO NOT miss crossing 2 bridges every day going from National Harbor to Rockville everyday

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
I've got almost three years to go but my plan is to wake up at 4 (that's sleeping in for me), fix a cup of coffee, take the dog out and sit on the back deck to enjoy the morning. Make breakfast, clean up the dishes and pans then head out to the deck with a surpressed 22lr and drop the squirrel population. Change up the stereo to the outdoor speakers and put on a little Zepplin for my neighbors to enjoy. Shoot some steel from the kitchen window while I make lunch....

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
but my plan is to wake up at 4 (that's sleeping in for me), fix a cup of coffee, take the dog out and sit on the back deck to enjoy the morning.
:lol: My plan was to sleep in everyday, like 9am. In reality, I'm awake as soon as the daylight is apparent, before the sun rises. Dammit....

But the rest of it works. Slow start to the day, coffee, email, YouTube, then a late b'fast and more coffee, and maybe by 10 or 11 I'm ready to start on something.

Bobwhite

What I do is:

Play Mahjong twice a week
Take piano lessons once a week and practice everyday
I'm on the board of directors in my community
Attend a lot of activities in the clubhouse where I live
I've signed up for St. Mary's Citizens Academy that starts September 3 and runs for eight weeks. I'm going to learn how the county government works.
I recently volunteered to drive our community bus on off-hours because the clubhouse is not open and staff are not working after 5 pm and on weekends. They turned me down because insurance only covers employees.
I read.
I do crossword and jigsaw puzzles.
I watch some television.
Stay tuned, more to come.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I can't freakin' wait to retire. I don't know what I will do with my free time.....probably quilt, cook, and do some simple gardening, but I'd love to a lot of travel.

At this rate, though, I will have to work and will likely have to die in between meetings.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I can't freakin' wait to retire. I don't know what I will do with my free time.....probably quilt, cook, and do some simple gardening, but I'd love to a lot of travel.

At this rate, though, I will have to work and will likely have to die in between meetings.
Can I hire your to cook for me? :biggrin: I love a lot of the things you make...

stgislander

PREMO Member
I've got almost three years to go but my plan is to wake up at 4 (that's sleeping in for me), fix a cup of coffee, take the dog out and sit on the back deck to enjoy the morning. Make breakfast, clean up the dishes and pans then head out to the deck with a surpressed 22lr and drop the squirrel population. Change up the stereo to the outdoor speakers and put on a little Zepplin for my neighbors to enjoy. Shoot some steel from the kitchen window while I make lunch....
Three years to go for me too. After building a new house (with a bonus room above the garage) I'd like to get into model trains. Expensive hobby though. Definitely shoot more. Maybe I'll just sit down with a cooler of beer and throw an empty hook into the river.

Kyle

Beloved Misanthrope
PREMO Member
Maybe I'll just sit down with a cooler of beer and throw an empty hook into the river.

Yeah. Thought about that too. Fishing some streams and small rivers in WV looks like it would be a good way to spend some time.

Haven't been fishing since the 80s and then it was all salt water gear with a surf rod at the Point.

PJay

What I do is:

Play Mahjong twice a week
Take piano lessons once a week and practice everyday
I'm on the board of directors in my community
Attend a lot of activities in the clubhouse where I live
I've signed up for St. Mary's Citizens Academy that starts September 3 and runs for eight weeks. I'm going to learn how the county government works.
I recently volunteered to drive our community bus on off-hours because the clubhouse is not open and staff are not working after 5 pm and on weekends. They turned me down because insurance only covers employees.
I read.
I do crossword and jigsaw puzzles.
I watch some television.
Stay tuned, more to come.

During the winter months I set up a puzzle table. When friends stop by they love finding a piece or two to add.

Gift given to me last Christmas, so on the table it will be...

Screenshot_20240723-082808.png

NOTSMC

Three years to go for me too. After building a new house (with a bonus room above the garage) I'd like to get into model trains. Expensive hobby though. Definitely shoot more. Maybe I'll just sit down with a cooler of beer and throw an empty hook into the river.
Except for the trains, it sounds a lot like a page from WWGD. :razz: