Roommates sue Maryland county over death of pet dog shot by police

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Two officers went to the plaintiffs’ apartment to look for the dogs reportedly involved in the biting incident. A maintenance worker gave police a master key to enter the apartment after nobody answered their knocks. The third officer arrived as the other officers entered the apartment with their guns drawn.

Two of the plaintiffs were in their bedroom when the officers entered. One of them yelled through the door that police had no right to be there, but one of the officers said they did not need a warrant because they had “probable cause,” according to the suit.

The lawsuit claims the officers panicked and fired their weapons at the dog after it followed one of the plaintiffs out of the bedroom and approached its primary owner, Erica Umana.

After the shooting, the officers handcuffed the roommates and left them in police vehicles for roughly one hour before releasing them from custody.

Seems a bit excessive ..... entering apartments where no one answers a knock OVER A DOG BITE

DaSDGuy

Two officers went to the plaintiffs’ apartment to look for the dogs reportedly involved in the biting incident. A maintenance worker gave police a master key to enter the apartment after nobody answered their knocks. The third officer arrived as the other officers entered the apartment with their guns drawn.

Two of the plaintiffs were in their bedroom when the officers entered. One of them yelled through the door that police had no right to be there, but one of the officers said they did not need a warrant because they had “probable cause,” according to the suit.

The lawsuit claims the officers panicked and fired their weapons at the dog after it followed one of the plaintiffs out of the bedroom and approached its primary owner, Erica Umana.

After the shooting, the officers handcuffed the roommates and left them in police vehicles for roughly one hour before releasing them from custody.

Seems a bit excessive ..... entering apartments where no one answers a knock OVER A DOG BITE
A lot excessive. What did the police think would happen if the didn't go in, the owners flush the dog to hide evidence? Get a warrant. Also excessive - suing for $16M over a dog.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What really happened, I'll bet you money:

Shitbags letting their dog run loose to attack people.
Cops show up to get the dog.
Owner sets dog on the cops.
Cops shoot the dog.

Let us not forget why the police were there, and I can assure you from great personal experience that there are indeed a large number of scumbags who allow their vicious dog to roam loose and attack people.

Now, I like dogs more than people, but I hate biting dogs and I especially hate their ghetto trash owners. And I'm disinclined to believe them when they say dey dog a goot boah and din do nuffin.

The story is written to generate sympathy for the dog owner, but the fact remains that the cops were there to check into their dog biting someone and the owner tried to hide and not let them in. That's really all I needed to read to form an opinion.

glhs837

Power with Control
What really happened, I'll bet you money:

Shitbags letting their dog run loose to attack people.
Cops show up to get the dog.
Owner sets dog on the cops.

Cops shoot the dog.

Let us not forget why the police were there, and I can assure you from great personal experience that there are indeed a large number of scumbags who allow their vicious dog to roam loose and attack people.

Now, I like dogs more than people, but I hate biting dogs and I especially hate their ghetto trash owners. And I'm disinclined to believe them when they say dey dog a goot boah and din do nuffin.

The story is written to generate sympathy for the dog owner, but the fact remains that the cops were there to check into their dog biting someone and the owner tried to hide and not let them in. That's really all I needed to read to form an opinion.

Except of course, your story ignores a few facts.

What happened next was captured on police body camera video and video from a plaintiff’s cellphone.

And that they entered the apartment without a warrant.

And that the country tried to buy thier silence. People in the right of a thing dont need to buy silence.

Its PG County, its all shite from one end to the other.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Its PG County, its all shite from one end to the other.

You got that right.

And I did leave out the part where the PGC cops may have overreacted and prematurely shot the dog, although I'm always suspicious when cops are confronting someone and their first reaction is to whip out a phone and start recording.

And that the country tried to buy thier silence. People in the right of a thing dont need to buy silence.

Well that's not true. When it's cop on POC action, even if the POC is busted dead to rights they will still generate a ton of media bias and the cops will be vilified no matter what. Nobody stands firm against the media onslaught anymore because it's too big and truth doesn't win.

So was the dog out biting people or not? That's the first thing to clear up and then we can talk about whether or not the cops used excessive force in putting it down. The ghetto humans can GFT.

Hijinx

1 don't like the fact that a maintenance worker had a key to the apartment ,and gave it to the police.
I don't like the fact that they entered the apartment with no warrant.

I don't know all of the facts of the situation, but I do believe the police have no business just walking around in my abode.

Glhs837 got it right. Its PG County, its all shite from one end to the other.

Police ,biting dogs ,,owners of the biting dog and maintenance workers with master keys.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
1 don't like the fact that a maintenance worker had a key to the apartment ,and gave it to the police.
I don't like the fact that they entered the apartment with no warrant.

I don't know all of the facts of the situation, but I do believe the police have no business just walking around in my abode.

Glhs837 got it right. Its PG County, its all shite from one end to the other.

Police ,biting dogs ,,owners of the biting dog and maintenance workers with master keys.

See, this is where people reading these stories go wrong, which is what the "reporter" is hoping for. You're putting yourself in the shoes of the person the story is trying to generate sympathy for.

Do you have a dog you let run loose to bite people?
If the cops came to your door, would you go hide in your bedroom instead of answering to see what they want?

If the answer to both is "no", then this story isn't about you. It's about one of the millions of not-yous that populate this earth.

I don't identify with ghetto scum. When I read that story I didn't put myself in the place of those shitbags and imagine cops entering my house and shooting Gretel.

Like when some thug gets gunned down while committing criminal acts. Bitches be like, "Oh, imagine if that were your son...." But that's impossible because it would never be my son under any circumstances. It's like saying, "Imagine if your son was a rhinoceros...."

I do, however, identify with crime victims because I've been one. And I've been on the receiving end of someone's loose dog attacking me and injuring Apollo. So when I read a story like this one, my first thought is, "Then don't let your vicious dog run loose, ghetto scum."

Because I don't identify with shitbags.

🤷‍♀️

Hijinx

It's a great observation that I identify with shitbags, I don't, but I also do not believe the police have the right to enter my home without a warrant.
I believe the Constitution agrees with me, but WTH no one pays any attention to the Constitution any longer.

I would have answered the door and I certainly would not have taken refuge in the bedroom. IF I had taken refuge in the bedroom I would have made certain the dog stayed there when the cops approached. But 2 even 3 wrongs do not make a right.
One question I have is why they are suing Maryland, it would seem to me that they should be suing PG County.
Maybe Maryland has a bigger pocket book.

HemiHauler

The lawsuit has nothing to do with the dog. It has to do with the illegal search & seizure. It just so happens the dog was killed in the process. Pets are considered property and wouldn’t warrant a damages claim of this magnitude.

herb749

It's a great observation that I identify with shitbags, I don't, but I also do not believe the police have the right to enter my home without a warrant.
I believe the Constitution agrees with me, but WTH no one pays any attention to the Constitution any longer.

I would have answered the door and I certainly would not have taken refuge in the bedroom. IF I had taken refuge in the bedroom I would have made certain the dog stayed there when the cops approached. But 2 even 3 wrongs do not make a right.
One question I have is why they are suing Maryland, it would seem to me that they should be suing PG County.
Maybe Maryland has a bigger pocket book.

They may be living off of PG. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. :whistle:

glhs837

Power with Control
See, this is where people reading these stories go wrong, which is what the "reporter" is hoping for. You're putting yourself in the shoes of the person the story is trying to generate sympathy for.

Do you have a dog you let run loose to bite people?
If the cops came to your door, would you go hide in your bedroom instead of answering to see what they want?

If the answer to both is "no", then this story isn't about you. It's about one of the millions of not-yous that populate this earth.

I don't identify with ghetto scum. When I read that story I didn't put myself in the place of those shitbags and imagine cops entering my house and shooting Gretel.

Like when some thug gets gunned down while committing criminal acts. Bitches be like, "Oh, imagine if that were your son...." But that's impossible because it would never be my son under any circumstances. It's like saying, "Imagine if your son was a rhinoceros...."

I do, however, identify with crime victims because I've been one. And I've been on the receiving end of someone's loose dog attacking me and injuring Apollo. So when I read a story like this one, my first thought is, "Then don't let your vicious dog run loose, ghetto scum."

Because I don't identify with shitbags.

🤷‍♀️

See, here's the thing. Once you say ghetto scumbag shitbirds rights dont matter, then pretty soon yours wont either...... This is the real fallacy of the "if you dont commit crimes, then dont worry about officers breaking the law against criminals".

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
See, here's the thing. Once you say ghetto scumbag shitbirds rights dont matter, then pretty soon yours wont either...... This is the real fallacy of the "if you dont commit crimes, then dont worry about officers breaking the law against criminals".

I hope we can agree that the VAST majority of people who find their doors kicked in by police are in fact engaged in criminal activity, or harboring criminals. Does the occasional innocent person become an outlier? Of course, but I'm not one of those "better 100 guilty men go free" people. I'm a "ya gotta break some eggs" person, and also a person who considers the odds.

Just because the "news" media chooses to focus on something and skew stories for an emotional outcome doesn't mean it's the norm. Major cities all across America are experiencing what happens when you "err on the side of innocence" and hamstring police in favor of the criminal element. Only you can decide which odds you'd rather play: the unlikely event of a cop kicking in your door by mistake, or the far more likely event of a habitual violent criminal kicking in your door on purpose. I choose the cops.

🤷‍♀️

glhs837

Power with Control
I hope we can agree that the VAST majority of people who find their doors kicked in by police are in fact engaged in criminal activity, or harboring criminals. Does the occasional innocent person become an outlier? Of course, but I'm not one of those "better 100 guilty men go free" people. I'm a "ya gotta break some eggs" person, and also a person who considers the odds.

Just because the "news" media chooses to focus on something and skew stories for an emotional outcome doesn't mean it's the norm. Major cities all across America are experiencing what happens when you "err on the side of innocence" and hamstring police in favor of the criminal element. Only you can decide which odds you'd rather play: the unlikely event of a cop kicking in your door by mistake, or the far more likely event of a habitual violent criminal kicking in your door on purpose. I choose the cops.

🤷‍♀️
Asking cops to comply with the Constitution regarding entry into citizens houses isn't hamstringing them.

You attach things like letting the guilty go free to this debate. Asking police to prove they have a reasonable reason to enter a citizens house has nothing to do with a DA not prosecuting criminal actions. Be careful of the power you wish to give to SGT Smith, he might make you his next mistake.

Maybe bowing and scraping to every officer you interact with is your way, that's fine. Canada and the UK love that stuff.... :)