Roommates sue Maryland county over death of pet dog shot by police

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Be careful of the power you wish to give to SGT Smith, he might make you his next mistake.

That's extremely unlikely.

You and I have a basic disagreement. You identify with the criminal element far more than I do, and you think of them as just like yourself. My observation is they are nothing like me, we have very few lifestyle points in common, and are therefore going to have very different outcomes and experiences.

Now if, say, my next door neighbor with whom I share numerous similarities were to get targeted by bad cops, I'd be more interested. But you never hear about that happening - it's always someone with a sketchy lifestyle and criminal practices who are on the radar hard. "Oh, they didn't do this one thing....they just did a whole bunch of *other* things....."

It's like how black people identify so strongly with other black people with whom they share no characteristics except skin color. I don't look at some white drug whore and think of her as "just like me" - she's pretty much the polar opposite of me, and when she gets in trouble I don't think, "Wow, that could have been me," I think, "Well? What did you think would happen?"

I also don't have our racist Democrat pop culture constantly ramming it down my throat that all white people are exactly the same and I need to march in lockstep with them. I mean, they're trying but I reject that for the sh*t it is because skin color isn't that important to me. And nobody is saying stupid crap like, "Well if you don't vote for (person) you ain't white!"

Being neither here nor there, I don't have a personal dislike of cops, but I do have a personal dislike of scumbags who let their dog go around attacking people. I'd kick their doors in and beat their asses myself. When the cops do it, I'm not going to get heartburn over that.

glhs837

Power with Control
That's extremely unlikely.

You and I have a basic disagreement. You identify with the criminal element far more than I do, and you think of them as just like yourself. My observation is they are nothing like me, we have very few lifestyle points in common, and are therefore going to have very different outcomes and experiences.

Now if, say, my next door neighbor with whom I share numerous similarities were to get targeted by bad cops, I'd be more interested. But you never hear about that happening - it's always someone with a sketchy lifestyle and criminal practices who are on the radar hard. "Oh, they didn't do this one thing....they just did a whole bunch of *other* things....."

It's like how black people identify so strongly with other black people with whom they share no characteristics except skin color. I don't look at some white drug whore and think of her as "just like me" - she's pretty much the polar opposite of me, and when she gets in trouble I don't think, "Wow, that could have been me," I think, "Well? What did you think would happen?"

I also don't have our racist Democrat pop culture constantly ramming it down my throat that all white people are exactly the same and I need to march in lockstep with them. I mean, they're trying but I reject that for the sh*t it is because skin color isn't that important to me. And nobody is saying stupid crap like, "Well if you don't vote for (person) you ain't white!"

Being neither here nor there, I don't have a personal dislike of cops, but I do have a personal dislike of scumbags who let their dog go around attacking people. I'd kick their doors in and beat their asses myself. When the cops do it, I'm not going to get heartburn over that.

Nice to live in a world of absolutes, I suppose. I dont view criminals as just like me. I know they are not. You love to tell me what I think, or how I feel. Even if I tell you differently.

I simply want police to follow the law, just like you and I do. If the law says you need a warrant to enter someone's house without permission, get the fuc^%ing warrant. I might buy this were there a missing child, you, know, exigent circumstances and such. But its a dog accused of biting someone. Face it, cops routinely exceed their authority, and while the majority of the time it is indeed regarding some dirtbag, just handwaving that illegality away means that it happens to non-dirtbags on an increasing basis.

Last edited:

HemiHauler

so, police are called to an apartment building, private home, back of a store for a violent fight and screaming for help. the door is locked... the screaming gets louder as the announce they're there... nope, door is locked.....
a maintenance man has the keys....

what should be the course of action HH? Go to the station, call an assistant states attorney for an application for a warrant? find a court judge to sign it????

an officer gets a call from a senior citizens relative in another state. the relative says the senior has a bad heart condition and hasnt been heard from in 3 days, besides numerous calls to check on their welfare.....
a maintenance man has keys...

a single parent has a medical emergency and is hospitalized. the parent tells a child is home alone and there are no relatives available to check on the 4th grade child.
an officer goes to the home, the kid is scared, wont open the door.
the maintenance man has pass keys.
Those are “exigent circumstances” and as such are exceptions to the 4th Amendment. In those cases, they can bust the door down.

glhs837

Power with Control
so, police are called to an apartment building, private home, back of a store for a violent fight and screaming for help. the door is locked... the screaming gets louder as the announce they're there... nope, door is locked.....
a maintenance man has the keys....

what should be the course of action HH? Go to the station, call an assistant states attorney for an application for a warrant? find a court judge to sign it????

an officer gets a call from a senior citizens relative in another state. the relative says the senior has a bad heart condition and hasnt been heard from in 3 days, besides numerous calls to check on their welfare.....
a maintenance man has keys...

a single parent has a medical emergency and is hospitalized. the parent tells a child is home alone and there are no relatives available to check on the 4th grade child.
an officer goes to the home, the kid is scared, wont open the door.
the maintenance man has pass keys.

Yep, covered under exigent circumstances. Hard to work a dog inside an apartment into that, unless the officers hear screaming.

phreddyp

1 don't like the fact that a maintenance worker had a key to the apartment ,and gave it to the police.
I don't like the fact that they entered the apartment with no warrant.

I don't know all of the facts of the situation, but I do believe the police have no business just walking around in my abode.

Glhs837 got it right. Its PG County, its all shite from one end to the other.

Police ,biting dogs ,,owners of the biting dog and maintenance workers with master keys.
Wow now you are on the side of law and order and procedure. How strange.

Hijinx

Jinxi:

Without a warrant, are there any, ANY circumstances where a maintenance man with keys should allow police in a locked apartment?

Anything.....
I have been in some situations where they should. If they go for a check on the life of an older person who's family has called and stated their mother didn't answer the phone or the house is locked and they themselves came to check and they can't get in. Most of the time an ambulance or Fire department come and it's either key time or take down the door.

Hijinx

OH....ANOTHER PUBLIC SAFETY AGENCY.... i SEE....
I hope you aren't making that remark as a sarcastic comment about Fire departments who take down doors.
I cannot say how many doors the Fire department takes down when there is smoke coming out of the house ,a fire ,a rescue,, the smell of gas. to be sure an Apartment building on fire is empty. Gaining access in a life threatening emergency is primary sometimes, but when a patient is being moved and the dog believes it's owner is being attacked and either bites the rescuer or threatens to do so we don't shoot the dog. For one thing Firefighters do not carry guns.

Public Safety Agencies run into a lot of things that have to be dealt with and they have to be dealt with in seconds. Not minutes or hours.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I simply want police to follow the law, just like you and I do.

I want criminals to follow the law.

I guess it's like the military. They have all these rules and regulations they have to follow, but the enemy isn't hampered by any of that. They can blow up civilians, hide behind children, whatever they please. That makes it a lot tougher on military men and women, and then they have the freaking media breathing down their necks to further hamstring them.

So if a cop is chasing a guy who just gunned down a little kid, and the bad guy runs into someone's house, should the cop go after him or just give up? "Ah, rats Better luck next time...."

Granted, a biting dog isn't gunning down a child, but it's of a kind. Criminals shouldn't be able to run into their homes and hide, then make a getaway while the cop is trying to get a warrant.

You say next time it may be me the cop goes after, but I say next time it may be you the violent thug goes after. That's a significantly more likely scenario, and wouldn't you like the cop to be able to catch the guy instead of giving up because the guy ran into his house and the cop didn't happen to have a warrant on him?

glhs837

Power with Control
I want criminals to follow the law.

I guess it's like the military. They have all these rules and regulations they have to follow, but the enemy isn't hampered by any of that. They can blow up civilians, hide behind children, whatever they please. That makes it a lot tougher on military men and women, and then they have the freaking media breathing down their necks to further hamstring them.

So if a cop is chasing a guy who just gunned down a little kid, and the bad guy runs into someone's house, should the cop go after him or just give up? "Ah, rats Better luck next time...."

Granted, a biting dog isn't gunning down a child, but it's of a kind. Criminals shouldn't be able to run into their homes and hide, then make a getaway while the cop is trying to get a warrant.

You say next time it may be me the cop goes after, but I say next time it may be you the violent thug goes after. That's a significantly more likely scenario, and wouldn't you like the cop to be able to catch the guy instead of giving up because the guy ran into his house and the cop didn't happen to have a warrant on him?

I don't pay criminals to follow the law. And the law allows for such circumstances as you posit. Called "hot pursuit". Covered under exigent circumstances.

You can spin what ifs all day long, but the law protects us from the police also. Any every time you allow them to break it cause it makes you feel good, its another chip in that wall. It might be that violent thug the police didn't break the law to arrest that gets me, but how far do I want them to go? How much law breaking on their part is okay?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't pay criminals to follow the law.

No, but you definitely pay when they break the law and if you want to argue that I can show you as many examples as you need.

When it comes down to criminals vs. cops, I will always take the cops' side. Always. You will never find me taking the side of a criminal.

Kinnakeet

I've been reading these posts and am torn, torn I tell ya of how better police tactics should have been...So, I am taking this fine opportunity to do research. But now, I'm screwed. You see Andy Griffith is on METV the same time as Adam 12.... damn...
Tarzan is on TCM ,Johnny Weismuller Tarzan

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

Two officers went to the plaintiffs’ apartment to look for the dogs reportedly involved in the biting incident.

that does not indicate the PLAINTIFFS DOGS were the ones doing the biting

Ok looking at the WaPo Article ......

Police shot their dog after entering their home without a warrant. Now they want answers.

Three months after that shooting on June 2, Umana and Amaya know little more about what happened that night. They said an internal affairs investigator told them that a woman had called 911 and said that Hennessy and another dog had jumped on her outside. The woman was taken to the hospital for a dog bite, police said, and officers had gone to the apartment to investigate.

[clip]

The police department’s communications director, Julie Wright, declined to answer questions from The Washington Post about the June encounter — including what justification the officers had or if they had obtained a warrant. She cited the ongoing investigation by internal affairs and said that two of the officers remain suspended and that the third — who had been placed on administrative leave — has returned to full duties.

She would not say which dog allegedly bit the 911 caller and said the “nature of the victim’s injuries” are part of the investigation. The department declined to share the incident report with The Post and would not confirm how many times the dog was shot.

Police said after the incident that two officers investigating a report of a dog bite had gone to an apartment where they thought the pets were to be found and “obtained a key from an employee of the apartment complex” after no one answered. Police said a third officer “announced themselves” as they entered the Landover Hills-area apartment.

I'll repeat my initial observation a Dog Bite is not exigent circumstances to enter an apartment uninvited

Attorneys played an edited compilation of Ball’s body camera footage and cell phone footage from one of the plaintiffs on Monday, showing the encounter from the time police arrived at the apartment building to the shooting of Hennessy and moments after. The footage showed officers immediately taking an adversarial approach: After Ball encountered Sanchez sitting on the steps outside and she declined to answer his questions, Ball ordered her to leave the property, alleging she was trespassing. The officers then went inside the building, and knocked on the roommates’ apartment door, receiving no response.

Body camera footage then shows Ball gesturing at his body camera and telling a colleague that the door to the apartment “would be open by now” if not for the camera.

“I used to open them all the time,” Ball added.

Ball and Mihanda then went back outside and flagged down a maintenance worker at the complex to get a master apartment key, which they used to open the door, video shows. The officers did not have a warrant to search the apartment, the suit said.

The officers entered the apartment with their guns drawn, according to the body camera video and the suit.

In the footage, one of the residents can be heard asking if the police have a warrant.

“We don’t need a warrant,” Mihanda replied. “We have probable cause.”

Officers attempted to detain the residents, who struggled back, the video shows.

Hennessy then enters the camera frame, barking and walking towards her owner, Umana. The footage shows bullets hitting Hennessy as he falls to the floor.

“She trots right past Officer Mihanda, so there was no fear of her attacking,” Ruff said at the press conference. “As she came out of the bedroom, she walks right past that officer, but these officers are so hyped up and panicked … suddenly they shoot poor Hennessy in the back.”

The gunshots came from Jackson and Mihanda’s service weapons, according to the suit. Ball simultaneously shot at the dog with his taser, the suit said. Footage shows Sanchez comforting Hennessey while the dog bled on the floor.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Two officers went to the plaintiffs’ apartment to look for the dogs reportedly involved in the biting incident.

that does not indicate the PLAINTIFFS DOGS were the ones doing the biting

So you're saying the cops went to the wrong door of the wrong biting dog? Even though the victim specified whose dog it was and pointed them to that apartment?

So if it wasn't their dog, why wouldn't they just come to the door and say so? Why hide?

I'm guessing by the looks of them it's because they're here illegally or have some other criminal history. So now you're siding with criminal illegals and their biting dog because a stranger who writes stories told you to.

Story: Awwww! Mean old popo shot a doggy who dint do nuffin!
Reader: Awwww! Mean old popo.
Story: The dogs bit a woman bad enough that she went to the hospital and the owners hid from police when they showed up to discuss the situation.

These threads fascinate me. You all notice you ALWAYS take the side the author of the piece wants you to, regardless of any facts or even common sense?

Not that anyone will answer this, but what do you think *should* have happened? Police are called because a dog bit a woman who required medical attention. Cops show up, knock at the door, people inside don't answer. Now what? Just go "Oh well" and leave? Better luck next time?

I always ask that question - "what should have happened instead?" - when you all take nonsensical positions because you were groomed by a conniving biased news article, and not one single person has ever answered it.

glhs837

Power with Control
No, but you definitely pay when they break the law and if you want to argue that I can show you as many examples as you need.

When it comes down to criminals vs. cops, I will always take the cops' side. Always. You will never find me taking the side of a criminal.

See, not everyone a cop interacts with is a criminal. And your black and white always side with the cop stance assumes that there are no bad officers that ever do anything bad. Read what this officer told the other one. Says that it it were not for the camera, he would have broken down that door already. Keep in mind, this is for one of two dogs who might have bitten a lady. Might. Might have been the other dog. But screw it, let's assume guilt and break in illegally, try and detain the occupants illegally (because everything you do inside is illegal if your entered illegally) execute the dog when it comes out.

Remember, this isn't he said, she said, this is based on the body cams. So the officers behavior and the dogs behavior is all on video.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's like when some violent fighting shitbag criminal is all, "Waaaah! I can't breeeeeve!!" What are cops supposed to do? Go, "Oh, well, sorry about that" and cut them loose?

glhs837

Power with Control
So you're saying the cops went to the wrong door of the wrong biting dog? Even though the victim specified whose dog it was and pointed them to that apartment?

So if it wasn't their dog, why wouldn't they just come to the door and say so? Why hide?

I'm guessing by the looks of them it's because they're here illegally or have some other criminal history. So now you're siding with criminal illegals and their biting dog because a stranger who writes stories told you to.

Story: Awwww! Mean old popo shot a doggy who dint do nuffin!
Story: The dogs bit a woman bad enough that she went to the hospital and the owners hid from police when they showed up to discuss the situation.

These threads fascinate me. You all notice you ALWAYS take the side the author of the piece wants you to, regardless of any facts or even common sense?

Not that anyone will answer this, but what do you think *should* have happened? Police are called because a dog bit a woman who required medical attention. Cops show up, knock at the door, people inside don't answer. Now what? Just go "Oh well" and leave? Better luck next time?

I always ask that question - "what should have happened instead?" - when you all take nonsensical positions because you were groomed by a conniving biased news article, and not one single person has ever answered it.
What should have happened is that the officers leave on one watch while the other calls in for a warrant. And also Animal Control.

Reactions: TPD