???'s about buying a Camper...

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Remember that you also have to discount any passenger weight and other cargo you have in the truck (wood, generator, anything else you might carry with you). Also if you ever can't dump before leaving each gallon of water equals 8 pounds - adds up quickly.

yeah, the one we are considering is like 6400-6600 or whatever loaded with everything. Thing is, 90% of camp sites, and with us for now, probably 100% of the camp sites have full hook ups, so there isn't much reason as to why we can fill up while we are there, and unload there is what Im thinkin atleast...

Oh well, not getting one this month anyway, just starting to get ideas and all for if/when we do decide...

jeffwells_2002

Here is the 8317SS being towed by my Ram 1500.

Friends of ours have this same model and there is no way I would ever consider towing it with a 150. Ours is no longer made but we have a Roo 26RS which is soemwhat comparable set up just with no slide and the layout is semi reversed - oh and about 2,000 pounds lighter.

When we were looking before we faced the same weight restrictions, our next option was the Rockwood 2701 too. But like I said before hubby felt that having the 4 beds was more important than a side slide so we ended up with our Roo (ours has a hard rear slide and we just push a button so we don't have to deal with setting up the bed in the elements like most expandables/hybrids -you still need to set up the jacks and utilities from outside but the bed never gets wet).

Attachments

• Camper - 10142009.jpg
    Camper - 10142009.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 95

Elle

Happy Camper!
Here is the 8317SS being towed by my Ram 1500.

I'm not saying it can't be done, just not a set up I'm personally comfortable with - I'm a worry wart though. We have 3 kids so between the car seats, all our stuff, then me and hubby - we have already added another 400-500 pounds into the mix on any given trip. I just felt better with keeping the weight well within our limits to add for any surprises - surprise was on me b/c our original truck was a lemon and now we have a larger one that could accommodate much more camper than what we have.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Done a good amount research, and finally found the ford specs for my truck.

My MAX trailor weight is 8200. My GVWR is 6750, and my GCWR is 13500.

So, basically, if we get the camper we are interested in, I will have no worries. But if I go far beyond that one, all the re-calculations have to start over :lol:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Done a good amount research, and finally found the ford specs for my truck.

My MAX trailor weight is 8200. My GVWR is 6750, and my GCWR is 13500.

So, basically, if we get the camper we are interested in, I will have no worries. But if I go far beyond that one, all the re-calculations have to start over :lol:

With a fifth wheel all the numbers change.

If you use a hitch/ball on the back of the truck you should be limited to about 500 Lbs tongue weight, which would give you a 5000 lb max trailer.

Check your Hitch, it should give you max weight and max tongue weight..

A fifth wheel can increase the size you can tow, as it can take 15 - 20%, and is not limited to the 400 - 500 pounds like a tow ball and hitch.

GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is the total allowable weight of a fully equipped vehicle and includes the weight of the driver, passengers, cargo, all fluids, accessories and the tongue weight of the trailer.

GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) is the maximum allowed weight and includes a fully loaded tow vehicle with driver, passengers plus a fully loaded trailer.

GTWR (Gross Trailer Weight Rating) is the maximum trailer weight including trailer plus the cargo inside.

GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rating) is the maximum weight each axle is designed to carry safely. It includes the entire weight of the vehicle, occupants, cargo, trailer tongue weight and so forth, but now distributed between front and rear axles.

Tongue Weight is the additional weight the trailer adds to total weight of the tow vehicle.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
When I bought mine, the MSRP was 32K, they told me that their no haggle price was 23K and some change. So they offer some great prices, and they are really easy to work with.

That's a LOT of hotel rooms.. where they come in and clean your room, make your bed.. air conditioning, indoor pools.. free breakfast.. no dishes to clean..

Etc.. etc..