???'s about buying a Camper...

itsbob

I bowl overhand
lets not forget the lazy maid that didnt change the pillow case the night before that was used to prop the fat ladies ass up while the non showered drunk guy humped her while teabagging the pillow..

I take the camper please.

I haven't stayed in a Super 8, or a Knights Inn.. In YEARS..

bcp

In My Opinion
I haven't stayed in a Super 8, or a Knights Inn.. In YEARS..
look, I know that would be a very rare thing to actually have happen, but I just cant get that kind of stuff out of my mind when I am in a hotel.
most the time, I bring my own blanket and I sleep in a chair, If I stay in a hotel alone, the bed us used for nothing more than a place to set my suitcase.

Im sure there is some phobia named for it... like sacjuiceaphobia or something.

least with the camper, I know who has been in it.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
That would be for just the receiver. Add to that an adjustable hitch bar, weight distributing ball mount, weight distributing bars, sway control etc and you'll be $500 or so higher than that.

Here is a link to the set-up procedures at Trailer Life magazine's forum: Trailer Life Magazine Open Roads Forum: Towing: Travel Trailer Hitch Set-up Procedure

Mike

So, if I let the dealership hook me up, they take care of all that?

look, I know that would be a very rare thing to actually have happen, but I just cant get that kind of stuff out of my mind when I am in a hotel.
most the time, I bring my own blanket and I sleep in a chair, If I stay in a hotel alone, the bed us used for nothing more than a place to set my suitcase.

Im sure there is some phobia named for it... like sacjuiceaphobia or something.

least with the camper, I know whose sacjuice has been in it, or is on my pillows.

fixed for ya :yay:

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Normally, if it is under so many thousand you can only finance for 10 years (say under 25K) Over that amount you can finance for 15 or 20 years.

There are plenty of UltraLight campers out there you can safely tow with a 1/2 ton pickup. When you get to about 80% of the towing capacity you need to pay attention to loading of the camper and the truck.

One advantage of the 3/4 ton and higher to the 1/2 ton is the 1/2 ton has coil springs, the 3/4 and higher has leaf springs. The coil spring rears will allow for movement side to side, as well as regular up and down movement (suspension) - this side to side movement with the up and down movement will feel like a circular movement. It is amplified by incorrect loading and can make you grip the wheel a bit tighter. :lol:

If you stay within a safe percentage of your vehicles capacity (I would say 75% and lower) you will be fine. :yay:

I talked to CPFCU, they will finance for 12yrs, up to 90% of the purcahse price. Since wifey and I havent truely made up our minds to the 100% mark, I'm not to worried about calling a few dealerships to find out their rates and years.

As for the truck, I'm thinking if I get the class IV hitch in all to handle the tongue weight, the weight of the model we are looking at, I will be at or around the 80-82% max trailer weight the truck says I can tow... So I don't think I will be pushing the limit TOO bad, as far as power goes, I've added the duals and intake to give me a little more, so Im not to concerned with having the ass for it, just have to worry bout the suspension in all :yay:

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Now, when I stopped by economy the other day, the guy was showing me a SALEM, and I think the weight was around 7k, does anyone know if they would let me hook that up to my truck (when I get set up with the class IV hitch, etc.. etc..) and just take it up the street and come back to see how the truck does handle it?

bcp

In My Opinion
Now, when I stopped by economy the other day, the guy was showing me a SALEM, and I think the weight was around 7k, does anyone know if they would let me hook that up to my truck (when I get set up with the class IV hitch, etc.. etc..) and just take it up the street and come back to see how the truck does handle it?
we looked at the salem in their lot too.
Keep looking. and pay attention to some of the workmanship in the units.

I almost bought a Salem from them.

I talked to CPFCU, they will finance for 12yrs, up to 90% of the purcahse price. Since wifey and I havent truely made up our minds to the 100% mark, I'm not to worried about calling a few dealerships to find out their rates and years.

As for the truck, I'm thinking if I get the class IV hitch in all to handle the tongue weight, the weight of the model we are looking at, I will be at or around the 80-82% max trailer weight the truck says I can tow... So I don't think I will be pushing the limit TOO bad, as far as power goes, I've added the duals and intake to give me a little more, so Im not to concerned with having the ass for it, just have to worry bout the suspension in all :yay:

There are companies online who can finance RV's - just search on RV Financing and a slew of them will come up.

I would imagine Scott would let you pull one just to see if you had it narrowed down to one or two knowing you were going to get one or the other and you had the hitch already (or buying the hitch from them)

we looked at the salem in their lot too.
Keep looking. and pay attention to some of the workmanship in the units.

I almost bought a Salem from them.

Friends of ours have a Salem and it is a nice camper. The only real difference between theirs and ours is the exterior; theirs is the lapped aluminum. Outside of that, it is damn near the same for fit/finish.

bcp

In My Opinion
Friends of ours have a Salem and it is a nice camper. The only real difference between theirs and ours is the exterior; theirs is the lapped aluminum. Outside of that, it is damn near the same for fit/finish.
on the bright side, the lapped aluminum is easier to fix when you do stupid stuff that involves trying to occupy the same space as that big ass tree that you have to back around when putting it in your driveway.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
There are companies online who can finance RV's - just search on RV Financing and a slew of them will come up.

I would imagine Scott would let you pull one just to see if you had it narrowed down to one or two knowing you were going to get one or the other and you had the hitch already (or buying the hitch from them)

Good deal...

As for towing one, what if the one we are interested in isn't on their lot :lol:

I really do think we will end up with the Rockwood ultra Lite 2701SS

The hard part is, I can get it loaded to the gills with EVERYTHING we want from rvdirect for like 22k and some change(actual retail was over 32k), and on the site, it says that all warranty work can be done at any authorized Rockwood dealer.

Economy is an authorized dealer, but someone I work tried to get them to work on theirs that they bought in Joppa, and Economy told them 'NO' because he didn't buy it from them.

jeffwells_2002

I financed mine through State Farm Bank, got a better rate and they finance 100%.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
on the bright side, the lapped aluminum is easier to fix when you do stupid stuff that involves trying to occupy the same space as that big ass tree that you have to back around when putting it in your driveway.

That was 1 thing we liked about Economy.... If you buy from them, you can keep it in their "secure"(fence with barbwire lot) area outback of the shop. I think he told me 40-75 a month or something like that...

yankee44

That was 1 thing we liked about Economy.... If you buy from them, you can keep it in their "secure"(fence with barbwire lot) area outback of the shop. I think he told me 40-75 a month or something like that...

Just remember if you leave it in a storage lot that ALL outside bins on every camper ever made use the SAME KEY!! So you may not wnt to leave too many high dollar things in the bins while in storage.

Yes this means I or anyone with a camper can take their bin key and open any bin on any other camper.

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Just remember if you leave it in a storage lot that ALL outside bins on every camper ever made use the SAME KEY!! So you may not wnt to leave too many high dollar things in the bins while in storage.

Yes this means I or anyone with a camper can take their bin key and open any bin on any other camper.

When you say bins, you mean the outside storage?

yankee44

When you say bins, you mean the outside storage?

Yes. With the old tag along that we had if you could get in to the left rear bin you could also get in to the trailor so I did not keep alot of expensive stuff in it while it was in storage.

P.S. who do you play ball for??

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Yes. With the old tag along that we had if you could get in to the left rear bin you could also get in to the trailor so I did not keep alot of expensive stuff in it while it was in storage.

P.S. who do you play ball for??

Oh, no shiat... was un-aware of that, thanks for the heads up..

I haven't played in 2 yrs now :lol:

Miker/t

So, if I let the dealership hook me up, they take care of all that?

When we bought ours from Reines in Manassas, one of the techs did the walk through with us showing us how everything works, how to open the awning, turn on the water heater, etc. while the other tech was installing the hitch. When we were done with all of the paper work with the finance guy, the salesman took us out front and everything was hooked up ready to go. He pointed out how many links of the chains were hanging to give a starting point for the weight distribution.

We were driving a GMC Savana 1500 at the time. The salesman said it would pull the trailer fine (Prowler 28x, advertised empty weight around 5k I think). We brought it home on Friday, pulled to the storage lot on Saturday and bought a 3/4 ton Yukon X/L two weeks later. The 1/2 ton van did pull the trailer but it was working hard and not stopping very well and that was all low speed, beltway driving. It would have been scary on a windy interstate or in mountains.

Don't forget, you can deduct the interest on your loan as a second home as long as it is self contained. Its not a lot, but every little bit helps.