Savage Rifle

keekee

Is anyone familiar with this brand? I want to buy a 30-06 as a Xmas gift, and I want to get something decent. I don't want single-shot, and I want to stay under $500. The guy at the Tackle Box recommended a Savage package gun - comes with everything, gun, scope, case, strap. We couldn't come up with anything else for under $500, so I was going to go with this gun, but I don't want to buy crap. I'm not opposed to buying just the stock if it's a better plan. It needs to work for hunting deer & black bear.
Anyone a gun expert... because I know NOTHING.

Thanks.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
keekee said:
Is anyone familiar with this brand? I want to buy a 30-06 as a Xmas gift, and I want to get something decent. I don't want single-shot, and I want to stay under $500. The guy at the Tackle Box recommended a Savage package gun - comes with everything, gun, scope, case, strap. We couldn't come up with anything else for under $500, so I was going to go with this gun, but I don't want to buy crap. I'm not opposed to buying just the stock if it's a better plan. It needs to work for hunting deer & black bear.
Anyone a gun expert... because I know NOTHING.

Thanks.

Where do you plan on hunting??

Most hunters don't put thousands of rounds or even hundreds of rounds down their gun barrels. That being said, Savage has never been known for making the best rifle, but for what you probably need, it's a good enough rifle. You're probably not going to get a dime sized three shot group at 100 yards with it, but you won't be shooting it at the Olympics either.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Breech-loading rifles may not be used to hunt deer in Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Calvert, Caroline, Charles, Frederick (in that portion of Frederick County lying south of a line beginning at the Washington/Frederick County line at US Rt. 40 and continuing on Rt. 40 east to Harmony Road, proceeding south on Harmony Road to I-70, following I-70 east through Frederick County), Harford, Howard, Kent, Montgomery, Prince George’s, Queen Anne’s, St. Mary’s and Talbot Counties or in Worcester County as follows: (1) within one mile of any school, (2) within that portion of South Point lying south of a line beginning at the west end of the Sinepuxent Bay Bridge on State Rt. 611, then by and with the south side of Rt. 611 to the junction of the South Point Road going south for a distance of .6 miles to a point opposite the southern boundary of the Ocean City Golf and Yacht Club property on the west side of the road, then by the southern boundary of the Ocean City Golf and Yacht Club to Trappe Creek and (3) within that portion of the land lying south of a line beginning at the mouth of the St. Martin River northwest to the junction with Shingle Landing Road, then by and with the south side of Shingle Landing Road to the junction with State Rt. 113, then by and with the east side of Rt. 113 to the junction with Rt. 589, then by and with the east side of Rt. 589 to the junction with US Rt. 50, then by and with the north side of Rt. 50 to the junction with Assawoman Bay, then by and with the west boundary of Assawoman Bay to the junction with the St. Martin River.

Last edited:

verucasalt

I have one and love it. I did a lot of research on them before purchasing one and found nothing but praises on them. I got mine from the guy on St. Andrews Church road that sells out of his house. He's a private FFL dealer. I also put a 25-06 barrel on it and it is now a nail driving monster. Enjoy!

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
I have a Savage 30.06 model 111F and although I didn't buy the package because I wanted a better scope on mine, it is a great gun. The accuracy you get for your money is unmatched, out of the box they are just as accurate as a Rem. 700 out the box (not saying Rem. aren't able to be made more accurate). Also the Accu-trigger is pretty sweet, I didn't know if I'd like it but it is not hard to get use to at all.

The one thing I don't like about it is the POS stock, but that is something that is easily upgraded later.

Not telling you what to do or anything but I'd shop around, I know that the tackle box is usually kind of high on price for lots of guns. I have recently ordered a gun online and had it shipped to Nick Cromwell who is a FFL dealer over in Great Mills. Even with the transfer fee, it is a much better deal than anything I can find around here.

ETA- here are some threads on Savages I found on a rifle board I visit.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=240261&highlight=savage
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=238831&highlight=savage
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=238735&highlight=savage
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=81583

Last edited:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
verucasalt said:
I have one and love it. I did a lot of research on them before purchasing one and found nothing but praises on them. I got mine from the guy on St. Andrews Church road that sells out of his house. He's a private FFL dealer. I also put a 25-06 barrel on it and it is now a nail driving monster. Enjoy!

Tommy Bennett

Savage is a good gun for the $$.

Walmart used to sell them, probably still do.

Dick's Sporting Goods sells them.

Fred's in Waldorf probably does too.

All of them probably beat the Tackle Box price.

T

tikipirate

Savage is an old gun company that has made somewhat of a rebound after a few shakey decades. They are most famous for their rather odd-looking lever action rifles in .300 Savage.

Buying anything in a package is usually a compromise. In this case, the scope might not be the best quality in order to keep the price point down.

If this is a gift for a gun afficionado you may want to think twice. He/she may have what they need in mind, and this particular Savage might not be it. (The gun you are describing wouldn't be my first pick in Maryland woods.) Get some more detailed clues and get back to us.

Vince

Have a Savage double barrel shotgun. Best shotgun I have. The barrel is longer than a normal shotgun so the pattern stays tighter. Best bird gun I have and even shot a deer in Maryland with a slug through it.

Ponytail

I can't speak for Savage. But as was mentioned above, be wary of the package deal, especially if you don't know what you are looking at.

I shoot a Remington, as does my entire family. Naturally there are others amongst the collections, but I know for a fact that there isn't a single Savage in any of them. That just hit me...and I don't know why that is. I know people that have them and love them. The point I WANT to make is that on MY Remington, the scope was purchased for me 20 years ago when I was a kid. I never liked it. I could shoot more accurately at a 100 yards with open sites than I could with that scope. I've had several people use my gun, and the scope was always the complaint. I FINALLY replaced it this year, and can shoot a quarter at 100 yards 4 out of 4 times now. I've NEVER been able to come close to that prior to putting this scope on. Different make scope, same power, same adjustments. Different eye relief, aperture, clarity and exit pupil (biggest improvement). And the scope only cost me $250. My cousin just spent over $1000 on his scope.

If you know that he'll like the gun, I suggest you buy the gun in it's most basic form. For a 30-06, unless he's going to be carrying it for LONG distances, I suggest a wood stock (helps with re-coil and holds up better to being dropped than composite stock) and give him money towards a scope or any other add-ons that he may want. There's a million different scopes out there. Just depends on what fits the gun, what fits him, and what fits the hunt.

If you get the package deal, and he doesn't like the scope, you'll probably not be able to just return the scope.

And DEFINITELY shop around.

keekee

Thanks for all of the advice. I was really uncertain about the gun, which is why I posted. I thought it might be better to buy just a really nice stock, and then build the gun up with quality parts later when the $$$ is available. I looked at Remington, only because I have heard of the brand, and haven't heard of Savage before. After reading your posts, it sounds like I could spend my $$$ better and get a nicer gift.

BTW, the gun will be used in central PA.

Thanks!!!

HunterJJD

Buy the savage, go to Wal Mart and order one, it will be your best price. If this person has no gun and does not hunt much he will not know that there is a 75$ scope on the gun.

30-06 is fine for deer and bear in PA. The Synt stocks are not the best in my eyes but the Savage with the cheap scope will shoot better then what he can. All of this will be better then using your fist to kill a bear

PT,
Just cause everyone in your family own Remingtons and Harleys does not mean Savage and Honda can't run on the same road

I have plenty of both, Remingtons and Savage but my Savages are easy to work on and shoot like a house on fire for half the price

Ponytail

HunterJJD said:
PT,
Just cause everyone in your family own Remingtons and Harleys does not mean Savage and Honda can't run on the same road

I have plenty of both, Remingtons and Savage but my Savages are easy to work on and shoot like a house on fire for half the price

Hunter Read my post. I never said anything bad about Savage. I actually recommended that she buy it.

And for the record, there are several Hondas in my family. :shrug: I just don't associate with them. :lol:

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
keekee said:
BTW, the gun will be used in central PA.

Thanks!!!
Well, in that case you won't need a gun.. You'll probably bag your buck and two does on the way there.. or just close your eyes and throw a rock, I'm sure you'll get one..

keekee

itsbob said:
Well, in that case you won't need a gun.. You'll probably bag your buck and two does on the way there.. or just close your eyes and throw a rock, I'm sure you'll get one..

Just the opposite where our place is. There is a deer shortage - we hardly ever see any deer even though we're in the middle of a state forest. There are a lot of black bears though. Maybe they gobble up all of the baby deer.

I'm still debating on Savage vs Remington. Even though it sounds like Savage is good quality/good price... Remington still has that reputation which might make for a better gift. I think I can get a Remington 700 30-06 for less than $600 (although my max was supposed to be $500...) I'm still thinkin' though.

I am a diehard Remington fan. Of the 10 long guns I own, 5 are Remingtons. 1 is a Marlin 335 in .35 Remington (my first deer gun, bought on clearance at Memco when they were going out of business, adequate for my needs, but not extravagant since father didn't know how I would like deer hunting). 2 of the others are muzzleloaders (1 TC Hawken (gift that was won in raffle by gifter), 1 CVA cheapy in-line that is dead accurate). The other 2 are cheap milsurp fun plinkers (SKS and Mauser).

That being said, I have some questions for you to help with the decision process:
1. Does gun recipient (G.R.) have an obvious preference for Remington?
2. Is G.R. a shooting fan, or just a casual hunter?
3. Age of G.R.?
4. Does G.R. hunt in all weather conditions?
5. Does G.R. take good care of posessions?

If 1. is "yes" then ignore the rest and buy remington, if "no", continue to answer.
If 2. is casual hunter then lean towards Savage.
If 3. is low (i.e. teenager early 20's get Savage) if high (40+, get Remington if you can afford it)
If 4. is all weather, get Savage or spend extra $$ to get higher end Remington.
If 5. is "no" ignore everything else and buy them a used Savage, if "yes" go with new Savage or Remington.

Basically what I am saying is look at the G.R. and decided what YOU think is right for them. If they will appreciate getting a gun, ANY gun, and are new and/or casual about shooting, get the Savage. If they save up to buy higher quality items for themselves, buy Remington. If they hunt in all weather or don't take care of their stuff, either get the Savage because it is less $$ and won't matter too much if it gets a little rusty/dented/scratched.

Do you buy a 16 y.o. a brand new car? No, you buy them the cheapest vehicle that is safe to operate and meets their needs. Do you buy your father a 1983 Chevette for his retirement gift after working his tail off for 40 years? No, you buy him a new corvette/caddy/'32 Ford.

Last edited:

keekee

huntr1 said:
1. Does gun recipient (G.R.) have an obvious preference for Remington?
2. Is G.R. a shooting fan, or just a casual hunter?
3. Age of G.R.?
4. Does G.R. hunt in all weather conditions?
5. Does G.R. take good care of posessions?

1. No. (But I want to give a nice gift.)
2. Loves to shoot, but hasn't hunted for years. Plans to start again.
3. 30
4. I think he will be hunting in cold weather.
5. Yes.

So Savage is the better choice for him...?

keekee

huntr1 said:
If they will appreciate getting a gun, ANY gun, and are new and/or casual about shooting, get the Savage. If they save up to buy higher quality items for themselves, buy Remington.

I know he will appreciate ANY gun. He tends to shop reasonably for himself, which is one reason that I'd like to get him something really nice. He is usually very "thrifty". :lmao:

Savage is definitely more within my budget.

Last edited:
T

tikipirate

If you know G.R. is fired up for a bolt action .30-06, this would be a great one to get:

http://www.ruger.com/Firearms/FAProdView?model=7826&return=Y

MSRP of $695, but you could probably find it close to your price objective. Fitting the scope would be up to him, which is good, because scope selection is even more personal than rifle selection.

If I was hunting deer and black bear in PA, I would probably purchase something more like this and never bother with a scope:

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/bigbore/1895G.aspx

Do you see how different the two rifles are? That's why buying a gun for someone is tricky business. But that Ruger is a pretty sure bet!