Savage Rifle

Ponytail

it sounds like he's not a very opinionated hunter yet, in that he doesn't, or hasn't, shot enough to make a decision about one gun over another. That being said, it opens up some possibilities to you.

Not alot of people give pump rifles much credit. But that's what I shoot. And they can be had for a little less money, and I can only guess that it's due to their poularity. For comparison, Here's a pump-action, 2 bolt actions, and an auto loader.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3170027

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3170109

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3170057

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3170242

The last one is a semiautomatic, and you'll have to check PA's gun laws. I don't believe that semi-auto's are permitted for use in hunting.

But don't count out Savage. Again, I know quite a few people that use them, and swear by them. As was mentioned before, even the cheapest of rifles on the market will shoot better than, and most likely out-live, it's user.

Some other gun makes to check out are Marlin and Ruger, both of which also have very good reputations and are not known for being terribly expensive.

Ponytail

Vince said:
Remington changed their model number to 7600. I've got the old model 760 30.06 pump. Never put a scope on it and can still hit a deer across a large corn field. With this gun, I can hand it to anyone, and they will be dead on with it. No scope, just iron sights. Got it when I was a kid.

Same gun, myself, my brother, grandfather, 2 Uncles and 3 cousins shoot with, only in the .270 version. :biggrin:

Last edited:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Just to go a little off topic here.

You guys know that Wal-mart is phasing out their firearms right?

It has already happend in P.F. and Waldorf and L.P. and Laplata are supposedly not too far behind according to the sporting goods guy at the one in P.F.

He said they are probably going to stop selling ammo too.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
verucasalt said:
I have one and love it. I did a lot of research on them before purchasing one and found nothing but praises on them. I got mine from the guy on St. Andrews Church road that sells out of his house. He's a private FFL dealer. I also put a 25-06 barrel on it and it is now a nail driving monster. Enjoy!

I had a Sako FinnBear in 25-06, and it was a definite nail driver..

Shot it at a Turkey Shoot. whre you had to hit a clay pigeon at (I think) 250 yards. I fired one round, nothing happened, pigeon was still there.. told the judge, I KNOW I hit it.. he said sorry, NEXT.. I convinced everyone not to shoot at my bird.. Went down range and sure enough a BEAUTIFUL hole dead center, not even a crack in the clay.

Paid all of $250 for the rifle another $100 for a Lisenfeld Low Light Scope, and ended up selling it for $700 to a local gunshop. I regret ever selling that gun.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Next time I visit my dad will have to ask him about his rifle.. He bought a Mannlicher Schonauer in their last year of production (1971) when were all living in Germany, 30-06, double set triggers.. Unbelievable shooter. You could set the back trigger to shoot if you looked at it funny I think Mannlicher said the weight of the trigger could fire the weapon when you held it up IF you set it to be that sensitive.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
Vince said:
Have a Savage double barrel shotgun. Best shotgun I have. The barrel is longer than a normal shotgun so the pattern stays tighter. Best bird gun I have and even shot a deer in Maryland with a slug through it.

I have one also never considered fireing slugs in it.

did you just take out the chokes?

I really like the color of the stock on mine

Ponytail

AK-74me said:
Just to go a little off topic here.

You guys know that Wal-mart is phasing out their firearms right?

It has already happend in P.F. and Waldorf and L.P. and Laplata are supposedly not too far behind according to the sporting goods guy at the one in P.F.

He said they are probably going to stop selling ammo too.

I just used Walmart website as a reference/example of whats available. Not many places list their guns online anymore...at least, not the few that I could check off the top of my head.

The California, MD. Store still has guns, and ammo. :cool:

matteressdancer

Ponytail said:
I just used Walmart website as a reference/example of whats available. Not many places list their guns online anymore...at least, not the few that I could check off the top of my head.

The California, MD. Store still has guns, and ammo. :cool:

Wish they would get beer.

Then that would be better than tackle box. Beer Bait and Guns and Ammo I love this country :killingme

gumby

I AM GUMBY DAMMIT
matteressdancer said:
Wish they would get beer.

Then that would be better than tackle box. Beer Bait and Guns and Ammo I love this country :killingme

Hey. Whats not to like? :cheers: :cheers: :alkies:

HunterJJD

dustin said:
Stevens Model 200 has good reviews.

http://www.gunblast.com/Stevens-200.htm
Stevens is a Savage without an Accu trigger. Great hunting guns. I set up 3 this year for guys, all 3 were out of the box shooters and with base, rings and Nikon scope they had less then 450 in the whole set up

I buy Steven actions every chance I get, put a 30$ Timney trigger in it, screw on heavy barrel and drop in BR stock

Remington, John Deere and Harleys are good, but why pay for a name. Why not piss everyone off this morning. I can buy a Savage with very good glass for less then I can buy a Remingotn with out glass and the Savage will out shoot the Remington most of the time. remington QC has gone to crap and thier Customer service sucks also. Now for al you guys with 10 to 40 year old remingtons keep them, they are worth the money, but ones you buy today are not

And yes, any time and place I can prove it

tikipirate said:
If I was hunting deer and black bear in PA, I would probably purchase something more like this and never bother with a scope:

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/firearms/bigbore/1895G.aspx
I LOVE my Marlin 336 in .35 Remington. Great gun, great round. Ok, so it's no good for 200 yard shots over a cornfield, but at 125 yards and less I have never missed a deer and I have never had one run more than 10 yards after shooting it. Great handy gun for brush. Bullet is heavy enough to go thru light brush without being deflected. Good enough for bear too. I even prefer it to my Remington 700 BDL 30-06. I had a scope on it for years. Took it off and replaced it with a peep sight. I have faster target aquisition with the peep, and at the distances I shoot it, the peep is MORE than accurate enough. I can put 3 shots in the black at 100 yards all day long with it.

That would be my choice to purchase as a gift. That and a couple boxes of 200 gr. roundnose (all the major manufacturers make this round, all are the same power, but just like any other gun, get a couple different brands to see what your gun likes. Mine does not like Winchester, or atleast it didn't back in the 80's, I've been shooting the Remington Coreloc ever since I saw how it performed with them in '88.

Vince

I want this in a .44 Henry Rifle

Attachments

• henryrifle.jpg
    henryrifle.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 71

Vince

Ponytail said:
The new ones they're making with a wooden front stock. I want the old iron frame Henry like the one in the picture. Iron frame, brass plate. PT look here Navy Arms

Last edited:

keekee

I just ordered the Savage rifle from Mr. Bennett on St. Andrews Church Rd. He was $25 cheaper than the Tackle Box.

I'm happy with my decision.

The gun is nice - It has a wood stock and accutrigger.

I hope he likes it cause NO RETURNS. :flowers:

keekee said:
I just ordered the Savage rifle from Mr. Bennett on St. Andrews Church Rd. He was $25 cheaper than the Tackle Box.

If not, you can give it to ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
keekee said:

Very nice, he will like, yes.

Ponytail

keekee said:

If he doesn't like it, meet me for a beer. bring the gun. I might like you. :wink:

:lol: