Savage Rifle

keekee

Ponytail said:
If he doesn't like it, meet me for a beer. bring the gun. I might like you. :wink:

:lol:

oookaaay... but I only like boys who... know home improvement, enjoy running the mower and fixing my truck, insist on paying my way, shower me with gifts, & always do as I ask.

You may want to consider purchasing your own gun. :lol:

Ponytail

keekee said:
oookaaay... but I only like boys who... know home improvement, enjoy running the mower and fixing my truck, insist on paying my way, shower me with gifts, & always do as I ask.

You actually sound like a woman after my own heart...except for that last part. But hey, maybe we can work on that. :lol:

Ponytail

keekee said:

Was at Kmart last night and they had a SWEET Savage Rifle 7mm with a scope for $459! They had a spot for the 30-06 but was out of it. that was less than $500 also.

Vince

Ponytail said:
Was at Kmart last night and they had a SWEET Savage Rifle 7mm with a scope for $459! They had a spot for the 30-06 but was out of it. that was less than $500 also.
Sounds like some good prices PT. I'm still saving up for my Henry .44 cal. I think a new motorcycle will have to come first.

keekee

Ponytail said:

I paid $495... and Mr. Bennett was really nice & helpful, which makes me feel good about buying from him. I actually don't mind paying a ~small~ amount more for good customer service at a personally owned business - rather than going to one of those big impersonal stores where it's sometimes hard to find someone who will even help you.

Mr. Bennett at Southern Maryland Firearms: :yay:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
keekee said:
I paid $495... and Mr. Bennett was really nice & helpful, which makes me feel good about buying from him. I actually don't mind paying a ~small~ amount more for good customer service at a personally owned business - rather than going to one of those big impersonal stores where it's sometimes hard to find someone who will even help you.

Mr. Bennett at Southern Maryland Firearms: :yay:

I agree, I like supporting local smaller buisnesses too, as long as they are friendly and aren't outragesously more expensive.

dustin

UAIOE
keekee said:
Is anyone familiar with this brand? I want to buy a 30-06 as a Xmas gift, and I want to get something decent. I don't want single-shot, and I want to stay under $500. The guy at the Tackle Box recommended a Savage package gun - comes with everything, gun, scope, case, strap. We couldn't come up with anything else for under $500, so I was going to go with this gun, but I don't want to buy crap. I'm not opposed to buying just the stock if it's a better plan. It needs to work for hunting deer & black bear.
Anyone a gun expert... because I know NOTHING.

Thanks.
FYI Great Dismal Swamp In NC has black bear hunt every year they raffle off "X" amount of permits for. This year I think 30 or so hunters won but not one bear bagged because of all the rain. Supposed to be a real difficult hunt...from what I read in the paper...

Ponytail said:
I REFUSE to purchase firearms, ammunition or hunting gear at KMart. In fact, I really, really dislike going in the store at all, and have only been in a Kmart 3 or 4 times in the last 5 or 6 years. Kmart can thank Rosie and their kowtowing to the gun grabbers for my lack of patronage.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
huntr1 said:
I REFUSE to purchase firearms, ammunition or hunting gear at KMart. In fact, I really, really dislike going in the store at all, and have only been in a Kmart 3 or 4 times in the last 5 or 6 years. Kmart can thank Rosie and their kowtowing to the gun grabbers for my lack of patronage.
Do you go to Sears??

Ponytail

dustin said:
FYI Great Dismal Swamp In NC has black bear hunt every year they raffle off "X" amount of permits for. This year I think 30 or so hunters won but not one bear bagged because of all the rain. Supposed to be a real difficult hunt...from what I read in the paper...

Bear hunting is hard work. It's noting like deer hunting where a good part of it is sitting and wating for the deer to come to you. Bear have extremely sensative noses and know where you are LONG before you know where they are. Bear hunting is alot of walking through the thickest, muckiest of swamps and brush and rarely is a shot taken when the bear is going slower than 132 mph.

NoName

I have the Savage chambered 30-06, it was a package deal and i've since upgraded the scope, but still love the gun

itsbob said:
Do you go to Sears??
I know Sears was bought by KMart. Don't believe I have bought anything there since the takeover. Only things worth buying at Sears are the tools anyway. I will continue to buy Craftsman hand tools. For powertools I go to Lowes and Homedepot.

Ponytail

huntr1 said:
I know Sears was bought by KMart. Don't believe I have bought anything there since the takeover. Only things worth buying at Sears are the tools anyway. I will continue to buy Craftsman hand tools. For powertools I go to Lowes and Homedepot.

You are throwing money away. Coastal tools online and toolbarn online. Even with shipping charges, many times offer nicer stuff and and cheaper than lowes or Home depot.

I go to kmart for their sporting goods. There's never anybody in there anymore. I picked up carbon arrows, targets and other stuff there DIRT cheap. I avoid walmart like the plague though...i still find myself in there. I just can't help myself sometimes.

Last edited:
Ponytail said:
You are throwing money away. Harbour tools online and toolbarn online. Even with shipping charges, many times offer nicer stuff and and cheaper than lowes or Home depot.

I go to kmart for their sporting goods. There's never anybody in there anymore. I picked up carbon arrows, targets and other stuff there DIRT cheap. I avoid walmart like the plague though...i still find myself in there. I just can't help myself sometimes.
Toolbarn is now a bookmark. Thanks.

Ponytail

huntr1 said:
Toolbarn is now a bookmark. Thanks.

Bookmark this one too. I mispoke...it's not Harbour Tools, it's called Coastal. these guys rock! I've ordered 3 times from them now, and I couldn't belive how fast shipping was, and their prices and took selection blows Lowes away...usually. :wink:

http://www.coastaltool.com/

keekee

Ponytail said:
Bear hunting is hard work. It's noting like deer hunting where a good part of it is sitting and wating for the deer to come to you. Bear have extremely sensative noses and know where you are LONG before you know where they are. Bear hunting is alot of walking through the thickest, muckiest of swamps and brush and rarely is a shot taken when the bear is going slower than 132 mph.

We have bears come around the corner of the cabin while we're sitting there quite often - and we're not even being totally quiet, we're usually chatting. They freak out and run like a scared puppy when they finally see us. I always wonder how they don't know we're there until they see us - usually at about 50 feet away from us. Maybe because we usually have a fire going...? Then they beat feet into the woods until they're maybe 500 feet away, and then they stroll on like they're not worried about us, but keeping an eye on us the whole time... they seem to react much like a stray dog would.

keekee

Picked up the gun last night. It didn't come with the case. :ohwell:
Cheaper than the other place, but with less accessories.

The gun is awfully pretty though.
Now I really can't wait for Christmas! :banana:

Ponytail said:
Bookmark this one too. I mispoke...it's not Harbour Tools, it's called Coastal. these guys rock! I've ordered 3 times from them now, and I couldn't belive how fast shipping was, and their prices and took selection blows Lowes away...usually. :wink:

http://www.coastaltool.com/
No kidding, I just looked up a 14v and a 12v DeWalt drill and they were $80 and $50 cheaper than Lowes! Thanks. :yay:

goodoleboy

huntr1 said:
Savage is a good gun for the $$.

Walmart used to sell them, probably still do.

Dick's Sporting Goods sells them.

Fred's in Waldorf probably does too.

All of them probably beat the Tackle Box price.

Why would you want to inflict Walmart on anyone?

I'd much rather buy from a GUN SHOP than save $10 by going to Walmart. Getting someone to help you is like pulling teeth. Can you take anything a clerkboy at Walmart says as credible? As far as Dick's and Fred's - the amount you save in gas by buying local is more than you'll save going up to Waldorf.

If you don't like The Tackle Box - try D's Sporting Goods in Callaway or Southern Maryland Firearms on St. Andrew's Church.