School holds surprise 'Gay' Day for kindergartners

bcp

In My Opinion
My whole point is...some parents suck at life and a kid shouldn't suffer in their knowledge just because their parent is a closed-minded :loser: :lol:

:huggy: That's more like it. :smile: :lol:
close minded to one is moral to another.
again, what you belive or nothing?

puggymom

I have been really hesitant on posting in this thread because I am torn by my pro gay stance and my anti schools being the parent stance.

I do not like schools taking it upon themselves to 'teach' children about things that it is a parent's responsibility. This goes for everything from sex ed beyond the biological 'this is how your body works' stuff to prayer and religion being in school.

Schools should seriously go back to teaching reading, writing, math, etc. Let parents parent (as long as they are not teaching violence or bullying as acceptable behavior).

L

luckystar

My whole point is...some parents suck at life and a kid shouldn't suffer in their knowledge just because their parent is a closed-minded :loser: :lol:

However people like bcp would have a hissy fit. The kids will learn it from their friends eventually anyways - even if their parents say that homosexuality is wrong, and filthy.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

luckystar

I have been really hesitant on posting in this thread because I am torn by my pro gay stance and my anti schools being the parent stance.

I do not like schools taking it upon themselves to 'teach' children about things that it is a parent's responsibility. This goes for everything from sex ed beyond the biological 'this is how your body works' stuff to prayer and religion being in school.

Schools should seriously go back to teaching reading, writing, math, etc. Let parents parent (as long as they are not teaching violence or bullying as acceptable behavior).

I completely agree with you.

bcp

In My Opinion
However people like bcp would have a hissy fit. I mean, the kids will learn it from their friends eventually even if their parents say that homosexuality is wrong, and filthy.
if that were the case, you would not be able to find anyone that disagreed with you.

and, once again, you are free to teach your children as you wish. I am free to do the same.

the school, is not free to teach either aspect of it.

puggymom

:huggy: That's more like it. :smile: :lol:
See I try to see other's POV. The way they feel about this being taught in school is the way I would feel about my children learning creationism in science class.
I am not trying to attack those who believe that only saying it does not belong in schools.

bcp

In My Opinion

I completely agree with you.

if you really agreed with Puggymom, you would have no issue at my stand on this issue.
problem is, you dont agree, you think all kids should be taught your values over the values of their parents.

L

luckystar

if that were the case, you would not be able to find anyone that disagreed with you.

and, once again, you are free to teach your children as you wish. I am free to do the same.

I'm missing what this is referencing... :shrug:

the school, is not free to teach either aspect of it.

Agreed. But they are going to find out from somewhere, eventually, one way or another.

L

luckystar

if you really agreed with Puggymom, you would have no issue at my stand on this issue.
problem is, you dont agree, you think all kids should be taught your values over the values of their parents.

No, I don't completely agree or disagree with your stance. I disagree with your discrimination of gays/lesbians. I agree with the fact that it shouldn't be taught in school, especially so young. If they're going to do it at all, require a permission slip.

I don't think they should be taught my values instead of yours. But they're not going to avoid it forever. And in the end, they will make the decision for themselves whether they believe it is good, bad, or neither here nor there. It will be based partially on what the parent has taught, partially on what they've experienced, and partially on what their friends think, and many other factors.

Last edited by a moderator:

theArtistFormerlyKnownAs

teach what?
your version only, or, are you ok with them teaching their children their own values.

I certainly would not think of telling some five year old that has two parents that his parents are disgusting or that homo was wrong, however, I would appreciate the same respect from the homoloving crowd when it comes to my values.

Who is disrespecting your values by educating children on other aspects of life they're not accustomed to hearing about from their discriminatory parents?

You're letting your beliefs clouding you from rational thought. I'm not saying, in any way, that it is ok to teach what I believe and not what you believe.

In case anyone missed it...THIS WAS A CHARTER SCHOOL.
It wasn't a public school...the parents are free to put their child in a public elementary school if the charter school isn't meeting their needs.

BuddyLee

Football addict
The parents would almost have to have been notified. If they weren't without permission slips and the like, it's kidnapping.

If the parents weren't notified in any way whatsoever I'd be sueing.

bcp

In My Opinion
Who is disrespecting your values by educating children on other aspects of life they're not accustomed to hearing about from their discriminatory parents?
you are disrespecting my values by trying to teach my child that what I believe is discriminatory.

You're letting your beliefs clouding you from rational thought. I'm not saying, in any way, that it is ok to teach what I believe and not what you believe.
what beliefs are those that are clouding me from rational thought?
and as per this quote from you
My whole point is...some parents suck at life and a kid shouldn't suffer in their knowledge just because their parent is a closed-minded
you do think it is your place, or the schools place to teach what you think is the correct answer.
Remember, I never suggested that the schools teach anything against your belief system, so why would you suggest they teach against mine?

In case anyone missed it...THIS WAS A CHARTER SCHOOL.
It wasn't a public school...the parents are free to put their child in a public elementary school if the charter school isn't meeting their needs.
does not matter if it is a charter school or anything else, the job of teaching morals, or lack of morals falls on the parents, not the teachers, or the school board.

Vince

Let's see. I want to teach your children all about my religion, my beliefs and that I feel homosexuality is wrong. Oh, and I want it done through the school system on your tax dollars. How would you feel about that?

bcp

In My Opinion
buddy Lee has no children.
but he gets it.

this conversation as far as I am concerned is not about right or wrong in the case of homosexuality. there have been enough threads on that already.

this conversation is on the role that the school should play in trying to sway moral beliefs that families hold, and if the school has a right or a duty to tell the children that everything their parents have said is wrong and bigoted.

bcp

In My Opinion
Let's see. I want to teach your children all about my religion, my beliefs and that I feel homosexuality is wrong. Oh, and I want it done through the school system on your tax dollars. How would you feel about that?

drop the homosexual issue and just say that you want the school to teach that your version of Christianity (or whatever you might practice) is the only correct version of religion, anything else is just wrong and will land you in hell.

same difference. the school has no place teaching that.

Highlander

ONE NATION UNDER GOD

I'm with you BCP. My morals do not allow me to accept homosexuality as normal. It should not be a subject taught in our schools. For the same reason some don't want creation taught in school, we should be given the same respect. School is not the place for this. There are plenty of subjects the schools can teach to actually educate our kids. What a novel idea.

All three of my kids are being taught that homosexuality is not a normal lifestyle. Whether you like it or not, that's my choice as a parent and I stand behind this 100%

I can only imagine that the people on this forum who are so pro-gay and want to call us bigots and homo-phobes are people who actually are gay, have gay kids, gay siblings or something like that. I guess they have no choice but to be closed minded on the issue and unwilling to accept our point of view.

BuddyLee

Football addict
buddy Lee has no children.
but he gets it.

I have about 150 that I teach. Good thing they go home at the end of the day.:lol:

Teachers have so much to do these days...

...so much material to get through, benchmarks, assessments, reports and the like. Just trying to get through to every student is an arduous task. I don't see how any school can justify allowing that precious time away from the necessary work required to succeed in life.

This was not educational. If anything it was a political ploy, which is disgusting. I'm liberal on gay issues too.

Vince

I'm with you BCP. My morals do not allow me to accept homosexuality as normal. It should not be a subject taught in our schools. For the same reason some don't want creation taught in school, we should be given the same respect. School is not the place for this. There are plenty of subjects the schools can teach to actually educate our kids. What a novel idea.

All three of my kids are being taught that homosexuality is not a normal lifestyle. Whether you like it or not, that's my choice as a parent and I stand behind this 100%

I can only imagine that the people on this forum who are so pro-gay and want to call us bigots and homo-phobes are people who actually are gay, have gay kids, gay siblings or something like that. I guess they have no choice but to be closed minded on the issue and unwilling to accept our point of view.
:yeahthat: How about if they get back to teaching math, science and english. Wonder how that would go over?