Schools Ban 'Human Target' Games

bcp

In My Opinion
Good grief.....isn't pretty much EVERYONE a target in dodgeball? We called it 'murder ball' back in the day and we used those red rubber playground balls, not Nerf sponges. I used to hate playing against the 8th graders in 7th grade because they hit to hurt and some of them had a wicked fastball. Sometimes it left a mark but I never saw anyone injured or incapacitated from it and we all lived to tell about it. We are raising a generation of wimps that can't fend for themselves. I fear for our species.

We referred to it as smear the queer.

Pretty sure that name would have someone getting suspended now.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
We referred to it as smear the queer.

Pretty sure that name would have someone getting suspended now.

Wrong game..

Smear the Queer was a football game (any ball would do though)..

Object of the game was EVERYONE went after the person with the ball.. whoever had the ball was on his own (being he was the only one with a ball he was the "queer".. RUN, jump.. stiff arm.. and everyone else was trying to tackle, trip.. hit.. anything to get the ball out of their hands.

What was weird, there were no points, no "winner" but everyone wanted to be the guy with the ball..

Good way to end football practice.. but even more fun at recess.. or out in a huge field with the neighborhood kids.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Those balls hurt like a mother ####er and I'm quite glad that it is banned. There are so many other sports that kids can learn in PE. I'm happy that PE is now focusing more on Health as well.

What kind of sports, besides running? And that makes you sweat too much and breath too hard. Maybe PE and Sex Ed should be rolled into one class.

Marbles? I'm sure many kids will try and swallow them.

Tag? Somebody has to be tagged and lose.

Basketball is a game where you actually bump into people and trying to score a basket at those rim heights, forget it - "my baby did not score a point today because of those mean other kids trying to stop him/her - UNFAIR!

Baseball/softball? Naw - the ball is too hard and the bat too dangerous.

Badminton? One can really get hurt taking a birdie to the eye, followed by the raquet that sent it your way.

We are a nation of wimps/wussies/attorneys. That is why we are laughed at internationally.

bcp

In My Opinion
Wrong game..

Object of the game was EVERYONE went after the person with the ball.. whoever had the ball was on his own (being he was the only one with a ball he was the "queer".. RUN, jump.. stiff arm.. and everyone else was trying to tackle, trip.. hit.. anything to get the ball out of their hands.

What was weird, there were no points, no "winner" but everyone wanted to be the guy with the ball..

Good way to end football practice.. but even more fun at recess.. or out in a huge field with the neighborhood kids.

We actually referred to Dodge ball by that name. I felt sorry for the guy picked to be the queer that day, it would be like 20 balls hitting him all at once.
On my day, I discovered that it really really hurt.. :killingme

sockgirl77

What kind of sports, besides running? And that makes you sweat too much and breath too hard. Maybe PE and Sex Ed should be rolled into one class.

Marbles? I'm sure many kids will try and swallow them.

Tag? Somebody has to be tagged and lose.

Basketball is a game where you actually bump into people and trying to score a basket at those rim heights, forget it - "my baby did not score a point today because of those mean other kids trying to stop him/her - UNFAIR!

Baseball/softball? Naw - the ball is too hard and the bat too dangerous.

Badminton? One can really get hurt taking a birdie to the eye, followed by the raquet that sent it your way.

We are a nation of wimps/wussies/attorneys. That is why we are laughed at internationally.

You cannot possibly compare basketball to dodgeball. Seriously?

b23hqb

PREMO Member
You cannot possibly compare basketball to dodgeball. Seriously?

Who's comparing sports/games? Dodge ball is much more active than baseball anyday. All anyone that does not want to play has to do is get hit once and they are out. Surely you could manage purposefully being hit on your toe or leg, right?

If not for that darned carpal tunnel syndrome, all our kids could be world-class texters until they turn 20.......then their thumbs fall off - "In the year 2525, if man is still alive, if woman can survive...."

Zager And Evans - In The Year 2525 - YouTube

Our kids are turning into physical/emotional wimps with no guts, and support like yours and this administrator in banning games just reinforces that concept.

Last edited:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Wrong game..

I though that was called Australian rules football?

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Those balls hurt like a mother ####er and I'm quite glad that it is banned. There are so many other sports that kids can learn in PE. I'm happy that PE is now focusing more on Health as well.

I was going to say no kid has ever not wanted to play dodge ball, when along comes Socki (who's taken more balls to the face than any six other people) to prove me wrong.

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
It's not the school's job to go out of their way to make sure kids "toughen up". Not taking sides at all I'm just saying.

SamSpade

Wrong game..

For reasons I never figured out, my Jersey cousins called the game "Throw Up and Smash". Same premise - throw the ball in the air and smack the fool who decided to grab it and run.

ylexot

Super Genius
It's not the school's job to go out of their way to make sure kids "toughen up". Not taking sides at all I'm just saying.

It's also not their job to protect children from every possibility of potentially getting any minor physical or emotional discomfort. I'm just saying.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

The entire pupose of our schools it to prepare the little hellions to be productive members of society.

Giving them a pass because we don't want to hurt their self esteem.. or play games that may be TOO competitive does not accomplish that.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member

so because YOU Are a Wimp, the rest have to suffer ?

:smack: