Schools Ban 'Human Target' Games

sockgirl77

More pussification. Everyone gets a trophy!!

I do not see it as pussification (great word :lol:). There's really no need for it in school. It's also a liability issue on the schools' part. There is absolutely no educational value at all in dodgeball and it's not like these kids are going to grow up and be pro dodgeball players. I do not coddle my kids, but I am glad that they're not playing dodgeball in school. :shrug:

ylexot

Super Genius
the school has more important things to teach them during PE.

Like what? I can't think of anything "important" to learn in PE.

Actually, dodgeball is probably one of the better games for honing reflexes (dodging) and improving hand-eye coordination (throwing).

sockgirl77

Like what? I can't think of anything "important" to learn in PE.

Actually, dodgeball is probably one of the better games for honing reflexes (dodging) and improving hand-eye coordination (throwing).

Ummm...like the Health aspect of it. Then there are the team sports that they may actually participate again in their lives. I played dodgeball in elementary school and can't think of a single time that I've played it since. :shrug:

sockgirl77

And dodgeball is good for that.

There are lots of sports that we played in school that I never played again. Should we go ahead an eliminate all of them?

I was speaking of the what's right to eat portion of health. I'm not going to sit here and argue. The fact is that there's really no reason to have dodgeball in schools. Period.

sockgirl77

Really? If you want to argue liability issues, you'd better be ready to get rid of football and cheerleading. Both are far more dangerous than dodgeball.

Both are extra-curricular. Both have liability waivers involved.

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
It's also not their job to protect children from every possibility of potentially getting any minor physical or emotional discomfort. I'm just saying.

The entire pupose of our schools it to prepare the little hellions to be productive members of society.

Giving them a pass because we don't want to hurt their self esteem.. or play games that may be TOO competitive does not accomplish that.

Coming from the same people who don't think schools should do a thing about bullying because it's "part of life". If I had a kid and he was bullied and came home beaten up and injured and I found out the school did nothing about it, you can bet your ass I'd raise hell.

If you want to "toughen up" your kids the "hard knocks" way, do it on your own time.

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
you do not want to play, sit on the side lines ........

I don't know which school you went to but every school I attended, participation in any and all PE programs was mandatory. I hated basketball. Hated it with a passion. I would've rather played dodgeball than basketball. Just nothing more than an excuse for two or three people to get their cheap shots in at everyone.

Really? If you want to argue liability issues, you'd better be ready to get rid of football and cheerleading. Both are far more dangerous than dodgeball.

Nice try :yay: but football and cheerleading are both optional. Kid's parents have to sign a waiver.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I hated basketball. Hated it with a passion. I would've rather played dodgeball than basketball. Just nothing more than an excuse for two or three people to get their cheap shots in at everyone.

A light just went on.:howdy: