Schools Ban 'Human Target' Games

bcp

In My Opinion
I don't know which school you went to but every school I attended, participation in any and all PE programs was mandatory. I hated basketball. Hated it with a passion. I would've rather played dodgeball than basketball. Just nothing more than an excuse for two or three people to get their cheap shots in at everyone.

Nice try :yay: but football and cheerleading are both optional. Kid's parents have to sign a waiver.

Cant speak for cheerleading, although I suspect you can, but I can speak for football,, and wrestling, both have a possible injury factor. But, in my day, before the schools were filled with a bunch of liberal pussies, like yourself (no offense) there were no waivers signed by parents, you just did it.

bcp

In My Opinion
If you want to "toughen up" your kids the "hard knocks" way, do it on your own time.

And I say if you want to teach your kids that homos are normal and to be accepted, do that on your own time. School is not the place for such things.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I do not coddle my kids, but I am glad that they're not playing dodgeball in school. :shrug:

So you cannot see the rather extreme dichotomy in that statement.

That explains a lot.

My oldest daughter frets about losing her ability to head kick someone 6' or taller, given her hard-earned skills in tae kwon do are not being used as much since she stopped competing. I'm pretty sure she would consider dodge ball a pretty wimpy but fun diversion..like the rest of us did growing up.

Last edited:

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
Cant speak for cheerleading, although I suspect you can, but I can speak for football,, and wrestling, both have a possible injury factor. But, in my day, before the schools were filled with a bunch of liberal pussies, like yourself (no offense) there were no waivers signed by parents, you just did it.

Yeah things change and people evolve. Making a sport safer and telling people of the risks is not exactly "pussification".

And I say if you want to teach your kids that homos are normal and to be accepted, do that on your own time. School is not the place for such things.

How so? Schools should sit back and condone hate? If you want your kids to hate homosexuals and Muslims and black people and want them to grow up and become bigots like you, home school them.

People are "accepting" homosexuals now because their friends might be homosexual. That's not something the schools are forcing on people. If people like you had their way, schools would still be segregated.

bcp

In My Opinion
Yeah things change and people evolve. Making a sport safer and telling people of the risks is not exactly "pussification".

How so? Schools should sit back and condone hate? If you want your kids to hate homosexuals and Muslims and black people and want them to grow up and become bigots like you, home school them.

People are "accepting" homosexuals now because their friends might be homosexual. That's not something the schools are forcing on people. If people like you had their way, schools would still be segregated.

yes, coddling and stopping anything that might cause a boo boo is certainly pussification.
and, its not the schools place to teach morals, its their place to teach the basic educational subjects. Being nice to homos 101 is not one of the basic courses.
If you want to teach your kid to accept, then send him to a gay bar on your own time. But dont try to pretend like you have some right to teach anyone else's child to accept those things that they don't.

sockgirl77

So you cannot see the rather extreme dichotomy in that statement.

That explains a lot.

My oldest daughter frets about losing her ability to head kick someone 6' or taller, given her hard-earned skills in tae kwon do are not being used as much since she stopped competing. I'm pretty sure she would consider dodge ball a pretty wimpy but fun diversion..like the rest of us did growing up.

Two of my kids are in taekwondo now and the third starts in a few weeks.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Two of my kids are in taekwondo now and the third starts in a few weeks.

And while they are doing that, dodge ball will be a hoot and good practice for their hand/eye/foot coordination and maneuverability.

Seeing that the discipline combines combat and self-defense with sports and exercise, dodge ball and taekwondo should complement each other superbly.

And without doubt a whole lot less painful than their martial art training and competitions.

DipStick

And while they are doing that, dodge ball will be a hoot and good practice for their hand/eye/foot coordination and maneuverability.

Seeing that the discipline combines combat and self-defense with sports and exercise, dodge ball and taekwondo should complement each other superbly.

And without doubt a whole lot less painful than their martial art training and competitions.

Baseball and kickball are also good for hand/eye/foot coordination.

DipStick

yes, coddling and stopping anything that might cause a boo boo is certainly pussification.
and, its not the schools place to teach morals, its their place to teach the basic educational subjects. Being nice to homos 101 is not one of the basic courses.
If you want to teach your kid to accept, then send him to a gay bar on your own time. But dont try to pretend like you have some right to teach anyone else's child to accept those things that they don't.

Schools don't tell kids they have to love gays you bigoted idiot. Just because kids don't come out of high school hating gays like you do doesn't mean they're being brainwashed.

And funny, you guys snivel all the time about how school need to teach morality and teach religion.

DipStick

If you want your kids to be bigots, home school them. If a kid's in a public school, they're going to meet other people. They're going to make friends with black kids and maybe homosexual kids. That, alone, will impact their ideology.

If you don't want your kids exposed to people you don't like, live in a ####in' underground bunker. Gay people and black people aren't inferior to you. It's not a school's position to tell kids that other people are inferior to white males because YOU want to believe that.

b23hqb

PREMO Member
Baseball and kickball are also good for hand/eye/foot coordination.

That will really help them in their taekwondo competition. Not.

Play the game of dodge ball in school, get out of gym, move on with the rest of your life.

Like hundreds of millions before have done, and survived, and remember the good old days when people were people and wimps and crybabies were few and far between.

mamatutu

mama to two
If you want your kids to be bigots, home school them. If a kid's in a public school, they're going to meet other people. They're going to make friends with black kids and maybe homosexual kids. That, alone, will impact their ideology.

If you don't want your kids exposed to people you don't like, live in a ####in' underground bunker. Gay people and black people aren't inferior to you. It's not a school's position to tell kids that other people are inferior to white males because YOU want to believe that.

I think that parents that home school are awesome, because that takes on a whole new aspect of children listening to their parents. Our neighbors home schooled, and produced 3 upstanding, fine boys. But, I, believe that going to an actual school is a good thing. Education is half learning, and half socializing. All the technology now contributes to non-socializing (as in person). Children need to be exposed to humans and their nature; as in person. Human contact is what is disappearing from our culture. A little dodge ball never hurt anyone, except maybe the picking the team part; who ever wanted to be the last kid standing! :lol: If we are not careful, we will create more and more children that cannot fend for themselves; the next generations have to be stronger than ever if this world is to survive.

Last edited:

DipStick

I think that parents that home school are awesome, because that takes on a whole new aspect of children listening to their parents. Our neighbors home schooled, and produced 3 upstanding, fine boys. But, I, believe that going to an actual school is a good thing. Education is half learning, and half socializing. All the technology now contributes to non-socializing (as in person). Children need to be exposed to humans and their nature; as in person. Human contact is what is disappearing from our culture. A little dodge ball never hurt anyone, except maybe the picking the team part; who ever wanted to be the last kid standing! :lol: If we are not careful, we will create more and more children that cannot fend for themselves; the next generations have to be stronger than ever if this world is to survive.

I don't have a problem with home schooling. If you think the public schools suck and can do better yourself, step up and do it.

Bcp seems like a nice guy and all but he's a bigot. The schools don't promote homosexuality. That's a BS lie bigots spew because they genuinely feel homosexuals or blacks or whoever are inferior and they think that everyone should hate them.

People are accepting homosexuality because their friends and acquaintances are homosexuals. They're finding out gays aren't the dog-raping, baby-eating people who magically convert other people in to gays with the snap of their fingernails that bigots make them out to be.

I don't have an opinion on the dodgeball thing. I don't really care. I just find it strange that some of the same people who are butthurt over this are the same people who think bullying is acceptable. Sorry, but some of you guys haven't been in the public schools in the last half-century. Bullying isn't when some kid teases another kid. It starts with very harmful rumors and ends when four boys, insecure in the size of their penis, walk up to the 4'7" freshman kid and beat the #### out of them. Welcome to the modern world.

DipStick

As for the dodgeball nonsense - our school systems have fundamentally changed the education system. We've taken the teacher out of the classroom and put the bureaucrats in there. We use cookie cutter tests and try to make all kids "equal". We dumb down the smart kids instead of trying to raise up other kids.

The teachers know what students need extra attentions and which ones are sharp enough where the textbook clicks. They know the students - but too damn bad, they're not allowed to let the smart kids learn on their own pace and work with those who learn at a slower pace. Six year old kids who have energy are medicated and placed in front of a computer instead of burning off their energy on a playground. We teach tests now and we even rig test scores. Kids come out of high school with straight A's and don't even have enough basic knowledge to go to college. They don't learn about budgeting and finances. Critical thinking is completely discouraged in classrooms now. Creativity is punished. In short, we're raising a nation of idiots.

And everyone's worked up over dodgeball. :rolleyes:

mamatutu

mama to two
I don't have a problem with home schooling. If you think the public schools suck and can do better yourself, step up and do it.

I can see now when some members here talk about a reading comprehension problem. I never said public schools suck; my children went to public school. I just commented that my neighbor home schooled. I am all for keeping the public school system; I just think they have become "gun shy", so to speak, and are having knee jerk reactions all over the place, that are putting our children in a bad position, and could, actually, have an adverse reaction. As someone said on here; creating a generation of pansies; everybody gets an award, do away with valedictorians, no competition, everybody wins, etc. crap. Dodgeball should remain in schools, along with the incentive to strive, and work hard to get the prize. All the stupid changes people want to make to make life easier for the "children" takes away from all the pioneering hard work/spirit, and the military forfeit of life that has kept our country free, and great. What is lacking here is respect for all that America stands for, and, that, my friend, is truly a sad state of affairs.

DipStick

I can see now when some members here talk about a reading comprehension problem. I never said public schools suck; my children went to public school. I just commented that my neighbor home schooled. I am all for keeping the public school system; I just think they have become "gun shy", so to speak, and are having knee jerk reactions all over the place, that are putting our children in a bad position, and could, actually, have an adverse reaction. As someone said on here; creating a generation of pansies; everybody gets an award, do away with valedictorians, no competition, everybody wins, etc. crap. Dodgeball should remain in schools, along with the incentive to strive, and work hard to get the prize. All the stupid changes people want to make to make life easier for the "children" takes away from all the pioneering hard work/spirit, and the military forfeit of life that has kept our country free, and great. What is lacking here is respect for all that America stands for, and, that, my friend, is truly a sad state of affairs.

I wasn't talking about you, merely quoted your post. I'm still ranting about bcp who, I'm sure is a nice guy and I think he just likes to push buttons. :lol:

The outrage over dodgeball is silly. There are so many things that suck about the public schools. Yes, they do suck. :lol:

The tests are cookie cutter tests. The curriculum is a cookie cutter curriculum. We don't let some kids stand out. We don't let teachers tailor and education program to fit their students. Some kids aren't good at math. Some kids aren't good at writing. Some people will grow up to be great public speakers, others won't. Some will grow up to be rocket scientists. Others will grow up to be mechanics. Some will become writers, others will become network engineers.

As someone said on here; creating a generation of pansies; everybody gets an award, do away with valedictorians, no competition, everybody wins, etc. crap. Dodgeball should remain in schools, along with the incentive to strive, and work hard to get the prize.

This I agree with. I don't think we should tell people they're stupid, but we shouldn't hold those who aspire to greatness back. Some people aren't meant for college and that's fine - there's plenty of skilled labor jobs that are still in demand. In fact, we have a shortage of skilled labor. But our politicians want everyone to go to college and become an engineer or scientist.

sockgirl77

They can learn what they need to without playing dodgeball. I pay enough for them to. :lol:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
have you ever played or seen midlle school girls play basketball??

I'd pick dodge ball ANY day over that.

:yay: My niece played BB throughout MS and HS. (and got a full ride BB scholarship to a community college in FL) She'd been playing on the neighborhood courts all throughout elementary school. When I moved to FL, the first game of hers I ever went to, she was already in 8th grade.

:yikes: I nearly fainted when I saw how they played! :jameo: My sister had to keep telling me, "It's ok - she's good. They won't hurt her, she can hold her own."

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
And dodgeball is good for that.

There are lots of sports that we played in school that I never played again. Should we go ahead an eliminate all of them?

^This^ If the kids don't want to play - don't play. Play hopscotch. Or jump rope.

:rolleyes: Bunch of whiny crybabies and their parents, too.