Sheetz in Great Mills Closes After Employee Positive for COVID-19

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Which ones do I believe came from the media and not the CDC?

So you believe the CDC?

Which statements by the CDC do you believe: the one where they say fresh air and sunlight are good for you, or the one where they say you must remain indoors? How about their conflicting statements on the effectiveness of masks?

PeoplesElbow

So you believe the CDC?

Which statements by the CDC do you believe: the one where they say fresh air and sunlight are good for you, or the one where they say you must remain indoors? How about their conflicting statements on the effectiveness of masks?
Show me where they say to stay indoors and show me the conflicting current statements on masks.

Are you talking about the original statements that were basically trying to keep people from hoarding masks?

Go back to the "so masks work" thread and you will see very early on I said they are trying to keep people from buying the medical supplies that hospitals should have had but didnt.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And here's something hilarious, with a photo to prove I'm not making it up:

This is from a restaurant/brewpub in Fort Smith. The health czar there says you can only catch the COVID virus up until the point that your beverage or food is served. After that, you're in the clear. So clearly the best way to prevent COVID is to constantly eat and drink.

:jet:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Show me where they say to stay indoors

Are you kidding me? You haven't heard about the "stay at home" orders?? I don't even know how to respond to that.

conflicting current statements on masks

What does that mean, "current conflicting"?

Here is the CDC guideline on masks (read quick because it may change in the next day or two):

In light of this new evidence, CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies) especially in areas of significant community-based transmission.

Further down:

Cloth face coverings fashioned from household items or made at home from common materials at low cost can be used as an additional, voluntary public health measure.

Translation: "You should wear a face mask but you don't have to."

More:

Person-to-person spread

The virus is thought to spread mainly from person-to-person.

• Between people who are in close contact with one another (within about 6 feet).
  • Through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs, sneezes, or talks.
  • These droplets can land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly be inhaled into the lungs.
  • COVID-19 may be spread by people who are not showing symptoms.

I don't cough or sneeze on people. I never have. I always - as in always - cough or sneeze into my elbow or a tissue. I am also not a closetalker. You can hear me just fine from a few feet away, I don't need or want to get right up in your face.

The simple reason that there are so many cases in big cities is because they're all jammed together in the subway or other areas, coughing and snarfing all over each other. In areas with less people they naturally spread out more.

The chance that I will either catch or spread the virus is pretty much nonexistent. The reason they want people to wear (voluntary) masks is because they're gross and they spew their cooties all over the place without one shred of common sense or decency. I am not that person. If you are that person, by all means wear a mask. Wear two masks.

And I'll tell you something else interesting:

It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes. This is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads, but we are still learning more about how this virus spreads.

Translation: you are unlikely to get COVID by touching something that someone with the virus has touched.

Yet everything is being sanitized and disinfected like it's life or death. EXCEPT....public toilets. If they were serious, the public toilet would be disinfected after every single use.

None of this makes any sense whatsoever, which is why you'll pardon me if I don't jump on the bandwagon. I'm not trying to get you to stop wearing your mask - I could give a chit what you wear. I'm simply explaining to you why I don't.

And now I have to go do something in real life doesn't involve a computer screen. :crazy:

PeoplesElbow

Are you kidding me? You haven't heard about the "stay at home" orders?? I don't even know how to respond to that.

What does that mean, "current conflicting"?

Here is the CDC guideline on masks (read quick because it may change in the next day or two):

In light of this new evidence, CDC recommends wearing cloth face coverings in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain (e.g., grocery stores and pharmacies) especially in areas of significant community-based transmission.

Further down:

Cloth face coverings fashioned from household items or made at home from common materials at low cost can be used as an additional, voluntary public health measure.

Translation: "You should wear a face mask but you don't have to."

More:

I don't cough or sneeze on people. I never have. I always - as in always - cough or sneeze into my elbow or a tissue. I am also not a closetalker. You can hear me just fine from a few feet away, I don't need or want to get right up in your face.

The simple reason that there are so many cases in big cities is because they're all jammed together in the subway or other areas, coughing and snarfing all over each other. In areas with less people they naturally spread out more.

The chance that I will either catch or spread the virus is pretty much nonexistent. The reason they want people to wear (voluntary) masks is because they're gross and they spew their cooties all over the place without one shred of common sense or decency. I am not that person. If you are that person, by all means wear a mask. Wear two masks.

And I'll tell you something else interesting:

Translation: you are unlikely to get COVID by touching something that someone with the virus has touched.

Yet everything is being sanitized and disinfected like it's life or death. EXCEPT....public toilets. If they were serious, the public toilet would be disinfected after every single use.

None of this makes any sense whatsoever, which is why you'll pardon me if I don't jump on the bandwagon. I'm not trying to get you to stop wearing your mask - I could give a chit what you wear. I'm simply explaining to you why I don't.

And now I have to go do something in real life doesn't involve a computer screen. :crazy:
Public bathroom is my fear, I have to take my mom 6 hrs away and she has to pee all the time. I plan on going in and hosing down the handicapped family restroom with lysol.

I dont see the facemask guidance as conflicting, they changed their recomendations based on observations. Also they went from a cloth facemask offers you little protection to wait a minute but it may keep you from spraying virus as far so it's a good idea to protect other people from you. I dont see this as conflicting, but evolving as science does.

I dont close talk, cough on people etc, but I have had a sudden sneeze catch me by suprise before, happens occasionally and violently.

The stay at home order had nothing to do with staying inside. I tele worked on my deck in the mornings, I suppose if you live in a tin can it is a stay inside order.

Goldenhawk

So you believe the CDC?

Amazing how you're cherry-picking their statements.

I don't expect the CDC to get everything right from day one, when this is called the NOVEL coronavirus for good reason. They've been doing the best they could from day 1, and the fact that they change guidance from time to time means they're responding to the latest research. We've been studying the flu for decades and still learning things. Are you honestly expecting the CDC to get it right in just weeks, and then to stupidly insist they were right from day one? No, of course not.

I'm just glad you live in OK instead of here. One less spreader to worry about.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
No ridicule is when you talk about bathing in hand sanitizer and avoiding human contact.

I am very cautious because I dont want to bring it home but I do neither of these. I have been going to work and I have been sterilizing things like door knobs etc and you know what in my little work area we have a few possible cases right now.

Testing is key because we can then get carriers of it to stay home and not pass it on.

If you tested positive would you self quarantine or would you give a crap?

My son is a first responder locally and one of the people he works with in close contact came down with COVID. (the guy was in his 50's and he was hospitalized and has recovered.)

Son and all the rest who worked directly with this person were quarantined for 4 days until they were tested. ALL of them tested ngeative. None of them has come down with COVID.

Son also works at PGFD/EMS. He has been around countless people and in contact with at least a handful of "confirmed" positive COVID cases.

So far - he has not come down with it.

PeoplesElbow

My son is a first responder locally and one of the people he works with in close contact came down with COVID. (the guy was in his 50's and he was hospitalized and has recovered.)

Son and all the rest who worked directly with this person were quarantined for 4 days until they were tested. ALL of them tested ngeative. None of them has come down with COVID.

Son also works at PGFD/EMS. He has been around countless people and in contact with at least a handful of "confirmed" positive COVID cases.

So far - he has not come down with it.
That is great news for your son and the guy that came down with it. One thing I don't quite get is what being in the hospital does if ppl aren't on ventilators.

Bann

PREMO Member
If you and I are tested today and we get our results a week later and it is negative, that does not mean we are negative the day we are reading our results. If we want to ensure we are still negative, we would have to get tested again.... infinity.
I donated blood on July 17th at CSM, and The American Red Cross also tests your blood for COVID antibodies. I found out yesterday that I DO NOT have the antibodies for COVID.

I could come down with any day. :yay:

Bann

PREMO Member
That is great news for your son and the guy that came down with it. One thing I don't quite get is what being in the hospital does if ppl aren't on ventilators.
He went in because of severe respiratory issues - he had pneumonia. I think he was just being monitored, etc. He was not on a ventilator, though.

Bann

PREMO Member

My son is 24. He could still come down with it, but he takes all the precautions he is required to take.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
So clearly the best way to prevent COVID is to constantly eat and drink.

I constantly sip on my coffee in the morning when I am in the office, to keep my mask off as much as possible, until someone walks up to the help desk, and I have to talk to someone ..... when the coffee is gone, I break out my water bottle

..... they're all jammed together in the subway or other areas .....

hell they tell you if you ride Public Transportation you are supposed to self qaurntine for 14 days

SamSpade

This article specifically points out that the lower rates are due to higher compliance with masks and distancing, because people are more worried.

The article may say that - but it is conjecture which is not part of the study it refers to. There is no way research was done on the amount of social distancing and mask wearing done by the population in each region. And doing that wasn't something that was measured. That's guessing, and has no place in scientific study.

When something shows results that are counter-intuitive, you must PROVE your results, not guess. It drives me crazy when people say "well what ELSE do you think causes it". I have no idea. We also have the tidbit of data from New York showing that the bulk of deaths came from a group of persons who WERE staying indoors and observing the rules. So what does THAT mean?

I have no idea. I have guesses, too. People who live in denser areas move within the city less. They come in contact with a lot of people, but in all likelihood, they're all the SAME people. Maybe it is improved herd immunity. Maybe it is an average lower AGE, since it is generally true that cities are younger than elsewhere. There's a lot of base data I'd like to see that I can't find in those appendices.

It's possible there's a lot about the transmission of this virus that we don't know, because I do know if you squeeze a million people into a few square miles, you're going to have a place covered in contaminated surfaces and droplets in just about every ventilation system. Unless people go about with industrial grade masks instead if meager bandannas - and covering their NOSES also - and not touching their face - it's doing to still spread despite the two meager ideas of masks and 6 feet apart.

Because if people start concluding that maintaining social distancing and masks in dense areas seriously diminishes the chance of getting COVID-19, then virtually EVERYTHING ELSE we're doing - closing schools, for example - is entirely pointless.