Shoppers supermarkets being sold

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I don't you can find them ripe unless they've just fallen from the tree :D
Exactly. My GGrandfather had an apricot orchard and all the neighbors had some sort of fruit trees. I hardly ever bought from the store.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
I don't think pears ever ripen. :lol: I only eat them when they come in my Harry & David basket. Apricots are a whole different story. I gave up n them years ago. :ohwell: Avocados can be ripened in a paper bag.

I had to look this up earlier this year, pears ripen from the core out on the tree. You have to pick them under ripe and let them ripen in a cool dark place. The other reason for this post just got in the mail that the Royal Rivieras are out and on sale.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I don't think pears ever ripen. :lol: I only eat them when they come in my Harry & David basket. Apricots are a whole different story. I gave up n them years ago. :ohwell: Avocados can be ripened in a paper bag.
Pears do ripen but they are weird in that they ripen from the inside out. Apricots ripen off the vine, too. Most people don't have the patience to wait for them to ripen, and make mistakes like refrigerating them, so leave them out at room temperature and make sure they aren't touching other fruit. These fruits are called climacteric.

Other fruits, like cherries and grapes, do not ripen off the plant and are called non-climacteric fruit.

🤓

PeoplesElbow

Doesn't shock me... they sell plenty of spoiled meat as well...

When I heard what they used to do with the fish at Woodburns - I stopped going to all the McKay's unless it was a quick "must have"
I rarely bought meat there, my experiences in the meat and seafood depts of a Kroger and Harris Teeter taught me what to avoid.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Shoppers used to be best place to shop in smc 20 years ago. Decent selection and prices. Now it is expensive and customer support is almost a sparse as Wally World. The race to the bottom.
Shoppers hasn't been here nearly that long.
In 96 Harvest Market occupied the space where the Gym and Mission BBQ are today. The store front Shoppers in in was empty.
Harvest market closed a couple of years after we moved in (96). The center was remodeled at some point, the old Harvest Market front was chopped up and they remodeled the store front that is now Shoppers. Super Fresh moved into that store front after the remodel. Big bright new store.
They were there for several years before they moved out of the area, closed all their stores.
That's when it became Shoppers.
I'd say not more than 10 years. The service has been poor for a long time, it may have started out well, but anymore finding a human that will speak to you in the store is difficult.

tuffenuff2

We have two pear trees and get so many pears I invite people to come and help themselves. We never use any pesticides or anything at all on them.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Shoppers hasn't been here nearly that long.
In 96 Harvest Market occupied the space where the Gym and Mission BBQ are today. The store front Shoppers in in was empty.
Harvest market closed a couple of years after we moved in (96). The center was remodeled at some point, the old Harvest Market front was chopped up and they remodeled the store front that is now Shoppers. Super Fresh moved into that store front after the remodel. Big bright new store.
They were there for several years before they moved out of the area, closed all their stores.
I'd say not more than 10 years. The service has been poor for a long time, it may have started out well, but anymore finding a human that will speak to you in the store is difficult.

The storefront that Shoppers is vacating was originally Jamesway.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I'd say not more than 10 years.

That doesn't sound right. I know they were there in early 2007 when I came back from Frederick, and at least a couple years before that. We'll split the difference and call it 15 years. ☮

Goldenhawk

Okay, folks. Google is your friend. According to this page:
it's been about 17 years.

Shoppers buys former Superfresh stores
By Jeff Clabaugh
– Staff Reporter

Sep 26, 2002, 12:25pm EDT Updated Sep 26, 2002, 12:25pm EDT

Shoppers Food Warehouse has acquired four former Superfresh grocery stores in Virginia and Maryland. The stores are in Ashburn, Centerville, Forestville and California, Md.

The Centerville and California stores have already reopened under the Shoppers name. It says the other two locations will open under its banner later this fall.

Shoppers Food Warehouse, bought by Supervalu in 1999, now has 44 stores in the Washington and Fredericksburg-area.

BernieP

Resident PIA
The storefront that Shoppers is vacating was originally Jamesway.
I wasn't here then, but I believe that's what I heard. It was vacant, until SuperFresh Moved in.
I was questioning the 20 years.
Harvest Market was open for a few years after we moved in 1996.
They closed.
Then there was a big renovation on that side of San Souci Plaza.
I think everyone was excited to see SuperFresh open in such a big store.
This was before Food Lion or McKays did any renovations and I think it actually forced them to clean up the squalor in their stores.
IMHO, they were disgusting, they were dirty, worn out, and smelled.
But there was a lag between the closing of Harvest Market, which suffered form a supply chain issue (being an IGA) and the opening of SuperFresh.
Don't recall how long SuperFresh stayed open before it closed.
That's when Shoppers came in. As I recall they started off okay, basically looked like SuperFresh restart.
But then the service and merchandise began to change. Thank goodness Giant opened.
One thing I noticed before I stopped going to Shopper was the cuts of meat. It was next to impossible to find a good steak.
Lamb was not to be found. Overall the cuts were the less desirable, lower priced meat.

Recognize that shelf space is limited in every store, regardless of size. So you can tell who the target customer is by the merchandise that;'s on those shelves or not in the store.

Speaking of shelves, my vote for next grocery store to close or move is Giant.
While I like the store and for the most part the people who work there, I noticed fewer cashiers and the store has always suffered from being smaller. They renovated not to long ago and tried to cram more variety in, more selections, but they just end up being out of things.
Most annoying are the floor displays (cardboard) that block the shelves behind them. Not only do they block the aisle, but you spend time searching for an item that should be there but ends up being hidden by the display. Not sure the employees like them either.

Going back to the original context of this thread that McKays is taking over; I think they do have an advantage in not being part of a chain - except their own local group. National or regional chain stores are forced to carry certain brands and certain items. All their products come from their central warehouse. McKays has the ability to adapt since all of it's stores are relatively local, they can change to the local market demands.

You see that with the store on Hollywood Leonardtown Road. It's more like Woodburns St. Mary's.
Hell, they even have live music in the Bistro.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Shoppers was the cheapo grocery store for those on a tighter budget, somewhat no frills. Giant is more upscale, and Harris Teeter is higher than that. So I'm wondering if McKay's is going to follow the Shoppers model or try to compete against Giant in terms of service and the "shopping experience"?

The Boss

I wasn't here then, but I believe that's what I heard. It was vacant, until SuperFresh Moved in.
I was questioning the 20 years.
Harvest Market was open for a few years after we moved in 1996.
They closed.
Then there was a big renovation on that side of San Souci Plaza.
I think everyone was excited to see SuperFresh open in such a big store.
This was before Food Lion or McKays did any renovations and I think it actually forced them to clean up the squalor in their stores.
IMHO, they were disgusting, they were dirty, worn out, and smelled.
But there was a lag between the closing of Harvest Market, which suffered form a supply chain issue (being an IGA) and the opening of SuperFresh.
Don't recall how long SuperFresh stayed open before it closed.
That's when Shoppers came in. As I recall they started off okay, basically looked like SuperFresh restart.
But then the service and merchandise began to change. Thank goodness Giant opened.
One thing I noticed before I stopped going to Shopper was the cuts of meat. It was next to impossible to find a good steak.
Lamb was not to be found. Overall the cuts were the less desirable, lower priced meat.

Recognize that shelf space is limited in every store, regardless of size. So you can tell who the target customer is by the merchandise that;'s on those shelves or not in the store.

Speaking of shelves, my vote for next grocery store to close or move is Giant.
While I like the store and for the most part the people who work there, I noticed fewer cashiers and the store has always suffered from being smaller. They renovated not to long ago and tried to cram more variety in, more selections, but they just end up being out of things.
Most annoying are the floor displays (cardboard) that block the shelves behind them. Not only do they block the aisle, but you spend time searching for an item that should be there but ends up being hidden by the display. Not sure the employees like them either.

Going back to the original context of this thread that McKays is taking over; I think they do have an advantage in not being part of a chain - except their own local group. National or regional chain stores are forced to carry certain brands and certain items. All their products come from their central warehouse. McKays has the ability to adapt since all of it's stores are relatively local, they can change to the local market demands.

You see that with the store on Hollywood Leonardtown Road. It's more like Woodburns St. Mary's.
Hell, they even have live music in the Bistro.
Giant's problem began when they we bought by Royal Ahold and started to use a third party outsource company for much of it's dry grocery goods. That is beginning to change Giant won't close they will just get better, they might move to or build a bigger location but they won't close.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Giant's problem began when they we bought by Royal Ahold and started to use a third party outsource company for much of it's dry grocery goods. That is beginning to change Giant won't close they will just get better, they might move to or build a bigger location but they won't close.
The story in Lusby is a lot nicer, more room. Not sure where Giant could go. I think the development corridor is saturated now with strip centers, so much so they are starting to lose tenants.
San Souci has space, smaller store fronts, available. Don't think anyone has filled the old Breton Medical office space.
I don't see them moving into the Park, but Millison Plaza has empty store fronts and I don't know if St. Mary's square filled the old Peebles store.
First Colony is in the process of losing Dress Barn and Payless Shoes.
Wildewood may be the healthiest looking of the lot right now.

frequentflier

happy to be living
The story in Lusby is a lot nicer, more room. Not sure where Giant could go. I think the development corridor is saturated now with strip centers, so much so they are starting to lose tenants.
San Souci has space, smaller store fronts, available. Don't think anyone has filled the old Breton Medical office space.
I don't see them moving into the Park, but Millison Plaza has empty store fronts and I don't know if St. Mary's square filled the old Peebles store.
First Colony is in the process of losing Dress Barn and Payless Shoes.
Wildewood may be the healthiest looking of the lot right now.
What store in Lusby are you talking about?
The Giant there sucks big time.