Shoppers supermarkets being sold

BernieP

Resident PIA
What store in Lusby are you talking about?
The Giant there sucks big time.

:sshrug:

I didn't go there that often but it seemed to be bigger, much bigger and it did have some products that California use to carry but had dropped when they added "variety".
Just seemed that with the bigger store you have more products and the variety.

For example, with gluten free products being added, the types of pasta and brands has gone down to make room for the gluten free.
Some for other specialty products. Not that I'm against them, but the trade was to drop off some items or brands. All the shelves are not squeezed for space. But the selection of salad dressings is less. More room, more things they can fit on the shelf.
Didn't really have a problem when I was in the Giant Lusby.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Shoppers hasn't been here nearly that long.
In 96 Harvest Market occupied the space where the Gym and Mission BBQ are today. The store front Shoppers in in was empty.
Harvest market closed a couple of years after we moved in (96). The center was remodeled at some point, the old Harvest Market front was chopped up and they remodeled the store front that is now Shoppers. Super Fresh moved into that store front after the remodel. Big bright new store.
They were there for several years before they moved out of the area, closed all their stores.
That's when it became Shoppers.
I'd say not more than 10 years. The service has been poor for a long time, it may have started out well, but anymore finding a human that will speak to you in the store is difficult.
Harvest Market was pretty much forced out of San Souci when SuperFresh decided to move in. I remember talking to the owner of Harvest Market and he said there could not be two grocery stores in that shopping center according to the center's management and out he went.

SuperFresh didn't last long there and moved to Wildewood and didn't last long there either. McKay's took it over and lasted a few years but it was a horrible store.

frequentflier

happy to be living
:sshrug:

I didn't go there that often but it seemed to be bigger, much bigger and it did have some products that California use to carry but had dropped when they added "variety".
Just seemed that with the bigger store you have more products and the variety.

For example, with gluten free products being added, the types of pasta and brands has gone down to make room for the gluten free.
Some for other specialty products. Not that I'm against them, but the trade was to drop off some items or brands. All the shelves are not squeezed for space. But the selection of salad dressings is less. More room, more things they can fit on the shelf.
Didn't really have a problem when I was in the Giant Lusby.
For the past two or three years, the Giant in Lusby has gone way down hill. I rarely shop there and prefer Weis in Solomons. Even though they don't carry as much as Giant, they have friendly staff and most of the time, their produce is better. A lot of people have been complaining about higher prices...I am all about convenience.

The Boss

You just hit it on the head,....... "the quality is more than adequate for most things " Aldi is nothing but a big 7-11 .People /customers want more than just adequate and as for On line that is good in some areas and for some people but there will always be in store promotions you will never see on line. People like to see what banana's they are getting or picking the better package of meat or fish.

officeguy

I think Shopper's location had a lot to do with its demise; set way back in there out of sight.

What is happening to shoppers is the result of their corporate parents decision to get out of the grocery business all together. It doesn't necessarily indicate a problem with a particular store.

officeguy

So, the decision had nothing to do with the stores not being as profitable as they would like?

They are a wholesaler, the retail locations are a small part of their business. Grocery store margins are notoriously low, getting rid of them doesn't change much in their bottom line.