Votes: 37 72.5%
  • Depends on their crime(s)

Votes: 4 7.8%

• Total voters

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Absolutely. Once they have served their sentence and are back in society they should get all of their rights back, to include voting.

I understood this to be a current events question, as in "should felons be allowed to vote from prison?"

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
In prison, no. Out, after completing sentence, yes.
Nope. Never. A felon forfeits his/her/xer right to participate. FOREVER. No guns, no votes, no full participation in our civic life post-conviction.

Don't water down felony offenses. Felonies are serious crimes and I still believe in the deterrent aspect of the legal system. Want lesser felons to regain the privilege? Then reclassify their offenses as misdemeanors. More serious/violent felonies, no.

Not playing the social justice game either. If a disproportionate number of a certain group of people are convicted felons, then that group needs to quit asking the rest of society to join it at the bottom of the social septic tank. Instead, climb on out and joining the rest of the responsible.

The ONLY possible way I would even consider this "felons regain the vote" would be after a felon served a long, successful, honorable enlistment in the military or a substantial length of time passed with no further runs-in with the law (say, 25 years). In both case, less-serious, non-violent felonies only.

Otherwise, as I said, nope. Never.

I feel strongly about a number of things. This is one of maybe five that I feel REALLY strongly about. FWIW.

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Nope. Never. A felon forfeits his/her/xer right to participate. FOREVER. No guns, no votes, no full participation in our civic life post-conviction.

Don't water down felony offenses. Felonies are serious crimes and I still believe in the deterrent aspect of the legal system. Want lesser felons to regain the privilege? Then reclassifiy their offenses as misdemeanors. More serious/violent felonies, no.

Not playing the social justice game either. If a disproportionate number of a certain group of people are convicted felons, then that group needs to quit asking the rest of society to join it at the bottom of the social septic tank. Instead, climb on out and joining the rest of the responsible.

The ONLY possible way I would even consider this "felons regain the vote" would be after a felon served a long, successful, honorable enlistment in the military or a substantial length of time passed with no further runs-in with the law (say, 25 years). In both case, less-serious, non-violent felonies only.

I feel strongly about a number of things. This is one of maybe five that I feel REALLY strongly about. FWIW.

--- End of line (MCP)
Well I disagree. If the crime is serious enough to remove the protection of rights then keep them in prison or use the death penalty. If you return them to society, return them whole.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member

--- End of line (MCP)
So you are saying to handle it like they do points on your driving record. Keep your nose clean for a few years and you get your right to vote back.

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

Don't water down felony offenses. Felonies are serious crimes and I still believe in the deterrent aspect of the legal system. Want lesser felons to regain the privilege? Then reclassifiy their offenses as misdemeanors. More serious/violent felonies, no.

--- End of line (MCP)
I'm not sure I'd make that the only way to regain your status, but I don't disagree with the sentiment.

limblips

PREMO Member
Nope. Losing your right to vote is part of the punishment for committing the felony. To get the right reinstated is removing what is supposed to be a deterrent to criminality. As for being a good person for a period of time, we already have that. The felon can petition to have the felony removed. And for military service to reinstate voting rights, nope again. The military does not need to have the 70+ % recividism and the associated administration burden.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
So you are saying to handle it like they do points on your driving record. Keep your nose clean for a few years and you get your right to vote back.
No. Not really. I am pretty much 100% against restoration of voting (or other) rights. But I am always willing to listen. So I offered two possible means by which I might consider the "pro" restoration position.

Not thrilled with the military idea, but it has the sense of service I think a felon would have to show/undergo for reinstatement (in other words, do something for someone else, rather than yourself).

The longevity option may not require selfless service, but the lengthy period of time could be seen as a serious intent to "remain reformed." In what is surely a poor example (but the only one that comes to mind as I type) we believe an alcoholic can "remain sober" the longer that person has been sober.

--- End of line (MCP)

Hannibal

My belief is that if the law/court said you are to serve X amount of years in prison as punishment for your crime and you do so "honorably", then you've paid your debt to society in the eyes of the law/court. As such, your rights should be returned (within reason). This doesn't mean your are released of all penalties. For example, a convicted sex offender should still remain on the sex offenders list after prison. A felon whose crime involved a handgun or violent criminal act should not be allowed to own/purchase a firearm, etc. But the person should be allowed to pay for their crime as deemed appropriate by our court system and become a better person and a better member of society (be allowed to participate) post prison. Otherwise, if take away all incentive to improve, why would you?

calvcopf

If you serve your time and are no longer on parole/probation, then you should have the right to vote again.
Seems like a little incentive to prove to yourself that you are on the right path and rejoining as a full citizen of the country and have achieved something.

Last edited:

glhs837

Power with Control
My belief is that if the law/court said you are to serve X amount of years in prison as punishment for your crime and you do so "honorably", then you've paid your debt to society in the eyes of the law/court. As such, your rights should be returned (within reason). This doesn't mean your are released of all penalties. For example, a convicted sex offender should still remain on the sex offenders list after prison. A felon whose crime involved a handgun or violent criminal act should not be allowed to own/purchase a firearm, etc. But the person should be allowed to pay for their crime as deemed appropriate by our court system and become a better person and a better member of society (be allowed to participate) post prison. Otherwise, if take away all incentive to improve, why would you?

See, here's part of my problem. We are asking one question, but this isn't really about this one thing. It's about the rtadual moving of the goalposts. Always in the direction of reduced presonal responsibility. Anyone who thiks those next two bits are loaded in the chamber and ready to fire once they get this voting thing done are mistaking the endgame here. And I njormally dont suscribe the the "Them" sort of thing in stuff like this. But in this case, while there isnt a "them" you can point to, the concepts presented are so very much alinged that I would bet your congruence between "Felons should be allowed to vote" and "Well, there are some sex crimes that are not soooo bad, she was a very hot 14" and "Well, he should only be allowed a gun at home" is pretty high.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
It's pretty easy to not commit a felony. The vast majority of Americans go their whole lives with no problem.

How about it they have to apply for their voting privileges after they've served their time? They don't get it automatically, they have to prove that they want it by registering and a board either approves or disapproves, based on the crime committed and the felon's history.

limblips

PREMO Member
It's pretty easy to not commit a felony. The vast majority of Americans go their whole lives with no problem.

How about it they have to apply for their voting privileges after they've served their time? They don't get it automatically, they have to prove that they want it by registering and a board either approves or disapproves, based on the crime committed and the felon's history.

If you made them have to put forth personal effort to get their voting right back I predict the number of applicants would be incredibly small.

somdwatch

Once they've served their sentence and released from Parole, they should be granted their constitutional rights. Including firearms. If they're really rehabbed it should be good.

limblips

PREMO Member
Once they've served their sentence and released from Parole, they should be granted their constitutional rights. Including firearms. If they're really rehabbed it should be good.
That is a big IF that I am not willing to risk.

glhs837

Power with Control
Bwuhahahaha, whats the going rate on that?