Should I feel guilty for hating Christmas?

acommondisaster

I just feel we put it on ourselves. So wrapped up in making sure it's awesome and special and everyone gets the perfect gift, we put so much pressure on ourselves. In Christmases past, I stressed and overspent. I wanted to be sure the kids were happy and had enough and equal number of presents that cost about the same amount under the tree. We spent months paying the credit card bills. There were clothes I bought them that I never saw worn, and I'd know that when I bought it, but if I bought one a sweater, I'd better buy them all sweaters.

Frankly, I couldn't tell you what anyone gave me for Christmas the year before (except my husband, because he ALWAYS gets me a sweater and some jammies). But I CAN tell you what we had for dinner and who was here and I remember the fun we had playing board games after dinner. So a couple of years ago we started drastically dialing back on the Christmas "giving". I spend a couple of hours online ordering presents and except for the wrapping, I'm done. No one seems terribly disappointed that the living room isn't one big pile of presents anymore.

I'm glad we've cut all of that out, glad I'm not going crazy decorating (just two trees and a couple of table decorations, but none of that crazy decorating the house like we live at the North Pole anymore). I actually have time (when I'm not working) for candlelight service at church - I used to be too exhausted, or busy wrapping presents to go. The pressure's off. I'm having a tough time convincing my DIL that Santa really only needs to bring or or two of their big items on their lists and that a few things from 5 Below and they'll be happy as clams -she's still of the mind that Santa's not a good elf and they'll be disappointed if they don't get everything on their lists, but I'm hopeful she'll come around to my way of thinking; her family's still big on STUFF.

MMDad

Lem Putt
When I was in the Navy I remember training that said that January and February were worse months for suicide and depression than December.

Oddly enough, the CDC data points to February being lowest for suicides and the summer months being highest. So much for the common perception.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Oddly enough, the CDC data points to February being lowest for suicides and the summer months being highest. So much for the common perception.

Not odd. February is my and Badgirls birthday month. Everyone loves her and most people adore me. Except the ones who wish I was dead. Plus, more ice cream is eaten in February than any other month. By far.
Ice cream makes people happy, happy people don't suck start .45's therefore people who exist in the bliss that IS February do NOT off themselves.

BG, take a bow, baby! We just rawk and we can't help it. :diva:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That's because you have a heart of coal..

That's bull####. She has one of the bigger hearts I've ever known. Yeah, she's a little cranky and crabby here and there but, she has a beautiful soul and is absolutely one of the good people. When she's not being...

[video=youtube;2hXgAYku2PA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hXgAYku2PA[/video]

:roflmao:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
I LOVE Christmas and the older I get the more I love it. What I don't love is Commercial-mas. When the LW and I first started dating, I had no money to buy presents for my family, much for hers. I ended up stuffing a ham as my present to them and now that is the tradition. We have these wonderful new neighbors that love to just socialize (read: drink and nosh) and to us, being able to share our kids enthusiasm and wonder with them (older kids out of house mostly) makes all of us happy. This year, my oldest son will be playing violin at Christmas Eve Mass so that has really ramped it up for us.

You get out of Christmas what you put into it. I'm not talking about buying a boatload of unappreciated gifts and making nice to folks you wouldn't throw a line to if they were drowning, I'm talking about refusing to let yourself get caught up on what the commercials tell you what you need to buy to make Christmas special. I am by no means the poster child for my Catholicism but I do remain steadfast in my belief of the 'reason for the season', and as I gracefully age I tend to embrace that more and more.

FollowTheMoney

I LOVE Christmas: Giving to someone who genuinely had no expectation of receiving something. The look, the confusion, the flushing, the watery eyes. Being the, "don't touch the presents till Dad gets out of bed" Dad. Answering back "Merry Christmas" to someone who just said "Happy Holiday". Giving a helping hand to someone who has helped themselves. (See first sentence) Receiving enough socks and underwear to last the coming year. : ) Adding another tie to the collection. The love. The love of Life.

Add yours:.........

I HATE Christmas: The expectation that you must give something. The gift card. The, "do you happen to still have the receipt?" question. That look of, "what am I going to do with this, what was he/she thinking?", then "oh thank you, it's perfect (BS)" response. The vanity, selfishness and shallowness. The hate.

Add yours:........

I accidently switched the TV channel to the Michael Buble' Christmas special last night and fro'd up a little in my mouf. He could be a reason so many are starting to dislike Christmas. :dead:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Honestly, I don't know why the time of year sucks for anyone. I am not being mean, or nasty. I just think that it really is what you make of it. If you don't have good memories of Christmas as a child - make them now. IF YOU WANT TO. If you don't want to, there's no reason to. There's no reason you should feel bad, there's no one to make you. It can be the time of year that you want it to be. Seriously.

DON'T go into debt for Christmas. I guess if you can afford to do whatever, then you can do it, but I never, ever thought that way. Don't buy lots of presents that you cannot afford - no one forces you do. I have never, not once in my life spent more money than I had cash for on Christmas. I just didn't believe that way.

Here's an example I experienced:
My Ex husband had a really sh*tty attitude every year at Christmas. (I didn't know him long enough when we got married and I take full responsibility for that. On our first married Christmas he was very much a humbug and that took me by surprise, as I never was and didn't know anyone who was). I came to realize that his father was an abusive alcoholic who was always in a BAR on Christmas Eve. (The wonderful practicing, church-going Lutheran Christian that he was). One year my Ex apparently got sent to the bar on his bicycle to go get his dad. #1 I blame his MOTHER for sending him - she was an idiot from the word go for putting up with the father and letting him abuse her children. (A police 911 dispatcher, she was) #2) the dad was an alcoholic drunk #3)my Ex would not get the proper counseling he needed to in order to deal with this, among a myriad of other issues. (which is part of why we are now divorced)

HOWEVER, I had pretty good memories of Christmas, and even tho the EX was a butthead, I made sure my kids had nice memories every year. I buy them ornaments every year so they will remember each one that was given to them and the meaning of it. I have always baked, and we decorate the tree together, with Christmas carols** that I have played since they were small. We don't but a crap TON OF PRESENTS, so they don't remember having a LOT, but they remember having things they appreciated and used. I have tried really hard to create those memories in an attempt to make their world special. I did that for me and for them, though.

I don't believe it's my job to make people (in general) like Christmas, though. They either do or they don't and I just choose to like it.

*the boys are grown now with "their own stuff to do & jobs" and this year we decorated the tree in stages. :lol:

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
I always loved Christmas, always. I grew up poor and I remember almost every single Christmas gift. I'd get a present from Santa - something that I had been wanting and wishing for all year - one year it was a hula hoop - don't judge; a present from my Dad - some mix of socks, underwear, pjs, school clothes; a present from my grandmother - always something homemade - I still have one of the dolls she made me; a present from my grandfather (different side of my family) - always a Barbie Doll. When my Mom was alive I'd get weird random things that were always fun at the time. My Aunt continued that and I think my absolute favorite gift from her was a pink parasol. I loved Christmas. It was about hope, and new beginnings, and food, and friends, and all that.

As an adult, far from home, with no immediate family, I still loved Christmas. I always put up a tree. I always bought or made gifts that said I was thinking of you. I always mailed Christmas cards. I always had a blast, even if I spent Christmas alone with my dog.

Then I married my husband. :ohwell: I fcking hate Christmas. Christmas has become a soul sucking holiday. I hate decorating. I hate buying gifts. I hate unappreciative jerk wads who want something expensive and can't be bothered to write a thank you note. It's all about the biggest price tag. Nobody likes "homemade" gifts" because they are "cheap". (In no way is anything I make "cheap). It's all about "me me me". It's all about spending money on people who can't even be bothered to mail a Christmas card. They don't even cook! Worst sin ever in my book. Worst Christmas ever was spent with foul mouthed children with parents who refused to correct them, eating the nastiest cold congealed food I have ever had in my life. I fcking hate Christmas. My first Christmas with my husband, even he didn't appreciate my inexpensive thoughtful gifts. They were shoved in a bag and I've never seen them again. My gifts from him were a bunch of "expensive" items I didn't want or need. So every year, I buy him some gawdawful expensive price tag gift and hate myself for doing it.

I fcking hate Christmas. It's not about what I thought it was about.

I'm with Roman, Jesus was born in the early summer and Christmas was all about co-opting a pagan holiday in order to get converts.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I accidently switched the TV channel to the Michael Buble' Christmas special last night and fro'd up a little in my mouf. He could be a reason so many are starting to dislike Christmas. :dead:

Good to know that I am not the only one who doesn't appreciate his crooning. :dead:

lovinmaryland

I looked up "smarmy" in the dictionary and they had his picture there...:dead:

He is amazingly talented! I dont know why they had anyone else perform on his special...he outshined them all! :hot:

My daughter looked at me halfway through the show and said "you can have Dad Mom...Michael Buble is my new boyfriend" :swoon: :lol:

He is amazingly talented! I dont know why they had anyone else perform on his special...he outshined them all! :hot:

My daughter looked at me halfway through the show and said "you can have Dad Mom...Michael Buble is my new boyfriend" :swoon: :lol:
I honestly tried to watch just to see what you Buble'baes see in him but I could never make it through an entire song without having to turn it! :lol:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If you don't have good memories of Christmas as a child - make them now.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood. :yay:

The general theme is that greed and commercialization have ruined Christmas. It's become a gift competition instead of a time for friends, family, and festivity. It's not Christmas itself that you hate, it's the humans involved in Christmas that suck.

But, as Bann said, you don't have to take part in that. If you gift someone something modest and/or homemade and they snub it, that's on them and speaks to their bad manners, not yours. If your kids are greedy little buttheads, well, you did that so you fix it. And if you just flat don't want to enjoy Christmas (bah, humbug) then....don't. The cool thing about being an adult is that we don't have to do anything we don't want to do.

It's never too late to have a happy childhood. :yay:

The general theme is that greed and commercialization have ruined Christmas. It's become a gift competition instead of a time for friends, family, and festivity. It's not Christmas itself that you hate, it's the humans involved in Christmas that suck.

But, as Bann said, you don't have to take part in that. If you gift someone something modest and/or homemade and they snub it, that's on them and speaks to their bad manners, not yours. If your kids are greedy little buttheads, well, you did that so you fix it. And if you just flat don't want to enjoy Christmas (bah, humbug) then....don't. The cool thing about being an adult is that we don't have to do anything we don't want to do.
Summed up nicely! :clap: You can close this thread now! :biggrin: