Smokers to pay for public health insurance in Maryland?

Somdmommy

:Jeepin' in NC:
Geek said:
So what if fat people want to be fat?
Then just like me no longer being able to smoke in public, they should not be allowed to shove plates of food in their faces in public.

If you saw me in a store you wouldnt know I smoke. If I were fat you could.

People dont want to see me smoke and kill myself, I dont want to see fat people eat and kill themselves.

elaine said:
No. It's convenient for you to call it caring. What you should really be saying is "some people want to control others lives".

Why the hell would you care about a stranger? I sure as hell don't.

I guess that's the difference between a pessimist and an optimist. Not everyone is evil, you know. :huggy:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Geek said:
So what if fat people want to be fat?

Then let them be fat. The whole point is the govt shouldn't tax bad/unhealthy habits. It's none of their business if I smoke or eat too many twinkies.

Somdmommy

elaine said:
No. It's convenient for you to call it caring. What you should really be saying is "some people want to control others lives".

Why the hell would you care about a stranger? I sure as hell don't.
:yay: I dont need someone telling me something that I can read on the side of the box!!!

Geek

Somdmommy said:
Then just like me no longer being able to smoke in public, they should not be allowed to shove plates of food in their faces in public.

If you saw me in a store you wouldnt know I smoke. If I were fat you could.

People dont want to see me smoke and kill myself, I dont want to see fat people eat and kill themselves.

Maybe they are more concerned about your little boy.

Somdmommy

elaine said:
Then let them be fat. The whole point is the govt shouldn't tax bad/unhealthy habits. It's none of their business if I smoke or eat too many twinkies.
Your right it is none of anyones business, but they shouldnt be taxing one and not the other!!!

Somdmommy

Geek said:
Maybe they are more concerned about your little boy.
My son is none of ANYONES business. He is in PERFECT health.

If someone were to walk up to me while I was buying cigarettes and tell me that I should think of my son would get their nose broken.

My life and my family IS MY BUSINESS!!!!!

Geek

elaine said:
I do. They take up more than their fair share of space on buses and planes.

Wow, how many people who read these boards are in fantastic physical condition? Just the whole nature of this hobby sits you on your butt.

Geek

Somdmommy said:
My son is none of ANYONES business. He is in PERFECT health.

If someone were to walk up to me while I was buying cigarettes and tell me that I should think of my son would get their nose broken.

My life and my family IS MY BUSINESS!!!!!

My mom smoked my entire childhood. I begged her to stop. No one told my mom she shouldn't smoke, even if I smelled bad from all the smoking she did around me. Would you quit if your son asked you to?

Somdmommy

Geek said:
My mom smoked my entire childhood. I begged her to stop. No one told my mom she shouldn't smoke, even if I smelled bad from all the smoking she did around me. Would you quit if your son asked you to?
You know what!?!

My and my cousin asked my grandfather to quit smoking all the time. He didnt, he got cancer. I watched him DIE, I know what it can do to me !!!I KNOW! !!!

A kid who learns about it in school is going to ask their family member to stop. Its what kids do.

I dont know what I would say to my son if he asked. He is only 1 1/2 so by the time he can ask, I may not be a smoker!

Geek

Somdmommy said:
You know what!?!

My and my cousin asked my grandfather to quit smoking all the time. He didnt, he got cancer. I watched him DIE, I know what it can do to me !!!I KNOW! !!!

A kid who learns about it in school is going to ask their family member to stop. Its what kids do.

I dont know what I would say to my son if he asked. He is only 1 1/2 so by the time he can ask, I may not be a smoker!

Watching my Mom quit was the most amazing act of will power I have ever seen in my life. To this day I am so proud of her. I asked her for years but she could not quit for me. She finally did it for herself. I have such respect for anyone that even tries to quit. That habit is harder to quit then crack. I saw her on her knees in front of me working through a craving. I really believe she can do anything, because she quit heavy smoking after 25 years of the habit. Good luck to you Somdmommy, I wish you all the best.

dck4shrt

elaine said:

It is their business if other taxpayers/employees/citizens are burdened with their medical expenses.

ylexot

Super Genius
dck4shrt said:
It is their business if other taxpayers/employees/citizens are burdened with their medical expenses.
We shouldn't be. Do away with socialized medicine. :shrug:

Somdmommy

Smoking, Drinking, Being fat, Driving like an #######. Those are all choices that everyday people make.

Everybody pays for someone elses #### sometimes.

I really get tired of people giving smokers all the s%it!

Everything in life is a choice!!! Nobody is better than anybody else just because they make different choices.

People dont want to see me smoke, I dont want to see fat people eat.

~On April 2, 2002, the IRS announced a new policy (IRS Ruling 202-19) stating that "Obesity is medically accepted to be a disease in its own right." For taxpayers, this means that treatment specifically for obesity can now be claimed as a medical deduction. According to the IRS: ~
http://www.obesity.org/subs/tax/taxbreak.shtml

Now why should someone that ate themselves to 400 lbs get a tax break for it????

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
dck4shrt said:
And, on that note, you should also be concerned about obesity as well.

AND, while we're on the subject of behavioral diseases that cost the taxpayers money, care to discuss AIDS?

How about the hordes of children who are uncared for by their parents, forcing us as taxpayers to pick up not only their health care, but their food and shelter as well?

Really, if you're talking strictly money, smokers should be the least of your concerns.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Somdmommy said:
Now why should someone that ate themselves to 400 lbs get a tax break for it????
That's a fabulous question, and the answer is because fat people have a stronger and more vocal lobbying group than smokers do. That's the bottom line.