So I park next to the county cop at Charlotte Hall McDonalds tonight and he's

Pandora

fttrsbeerwench said:
Sounds like you are a good woman... More power to you :huggy:

You sure are sweet. :blushing:

But no, I suck at it BUT, if I'm not married to him, some women is going to snatch him up. :mad: And I’m not having that. :nono: IMO, there are more good women on the market than men so when a good one hits, they snatch them up and rightfully so.

Plus, I have him trained fairly well and he does laundry. :shrug:

Mikeinsmd

fttrsbeerwench said:
Some of the cops that do that, have to get part time jobs. I know a cop in PG county who lives in a trailer. I'm certainly not knocking trailers, but I would think a police officer would get paid enough to at least have a nice little home to live in. He has a part time job and his wife works too.
Something wrong with this picture..... Cops don't make poverty level income. Part time job AND wife working.... not getting the entire story here. :eyebrow:

K

Kain99

Mikeinsmd said:
Something wrong with this picture..... Cops don't make poverty level income. Part time job AND wife working.... not getting the entire story here. :eyebrow:
Cops start at 34,000 a year. Very sad situation.

fttrsbeerwench

Mikeinsmd said:
Like P said.. perhaps he is paying child support or alimony..I don't know him that well, nor do I care to ask...

Mikeinsmd

fttrsbeerwench said:
Like P said.. perhaps he is paying child support or alimony..I don't know him that well, nor do I care to ask...
That has nothing to do with his income. Remove these issues from the equation and he makes ok money.

K

Kain99

Mikeinsmd said:
How many other jobs do you know of that pay $17.00/hr starting out with good benefits?? :confused:
Uhhhh.. I guess I should say No thats awesome money but damn dude.....

Mikeinsmd

Kain99 said:
Uhhhh.. I guess I should say No thats awesome money but damn dude.....
Just trying to keep things in context. I'm not saying cops are overpaid by any means but beerwench was implying that his situation was because of his pay. If that's the case, all rookie cops would be living in poverty. :flowers:

Last edited:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
roxie said:
sitting in his car watching a movie on his laptop. Our tax dollars hard at work.

Who cares, that is not your tax dollars, cops get paid part time by problem establishments to work "security". They are there to provide a presence to prevent fights, loitering ect.

He had probably work his regular shift earlier that day and may of been on his 12th to 16th hour of work, at least he was awake and capable of responding if something went down.

cantstandcopbashing:

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
Mikeinsmd said:
How many other jobs do you know of that pay $17.00/hr starting out with good benefits?? :confused:

Call center personel at MBNA America in Hunt Valley start around that wage with good benefits. Also I've known many secretary jobs in this area that start out close to that.

Uncle Charlie

Beer is Good!!!!
Roxie, Get a grip!

I too hate cop-bashing posts. Get a grip Roxie.

I am married to a State Trooper. She, like most cops, works overtime and security jobs to make some extra money. They work fast foord joints, construction projects, dash-ins, etc. You name it and they are asking for security nowadays.

Paid enough? I hardly think so. Anyone who thinks $34,000 a year is enough to go out, deal with the low lifes they deal with, get cursed at, kicked, hit, shoved, spit on or shot at all for $34,000. Oh and lets not forget the perks of the job. They are held over for mandatory overtime, ruining lots of plans. They get called out early, losing lots of sleep. They get called out to reconstruct accidents on their days off, or to investigate gruesome and heinous crimes. Vacations are cancelled due to manpower shortages. They get to work Holidays and birthdays and miss out on most of the special events that go along with that. Oh yeah, and don't forget the terrific hours, up all night or into the wee hours of the morning.

Their spouses get to do a lot of things without them because, they can't get off, are held over or had to go in early. The great thing about being married to a cop is you get to make all these plans, you just don't know if it will really happen. And all for $34,000 a year to start.

Wrong Subject Roxie. Why don't you get off your a** walk over and THANK that cop next time you see one for being there as a security presence the next time you see him instead of instantly jumping on here and bashing him or her. Unitl you walk amile in their shoes, don't say your feet hurt. You owe that Police Officer and Every Police Officer an apology.

We'll be waiting.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Poor Roxie - she should have seen this coming :lol:

I, too, can't stand cop bashers - they are typically insecure people who dislike authority in general. But I'm willing to give Roxie the benefit of the doubt and say that she just made a reaction without really thinking about it.

Interesting to note:

Over on the DU there's a thread about the guy who held up the "Down With Fidel" sign at the baseball game. One of the posters said that his sister went to Cuba and there were armed military men on every corner in the cities she visited. She thought this was cool and it "made her feel safe".

What this woman failed to realize is that the gunmen aren't there for HER protection - they're there to keep the citizenry in line in case one of them decides to...oh, say...hold up a sign criticizing Fidel. How it relates to this thread is that Leftists think armed gunmen on the streets of Havana are "cool" but armed cops in America chill them to the bone.

I know, I know - I'm boring. Everything relates to politics for me. :lol:

Geek

I think only after 9/11 was the public even remotely aware of the danger these men and women are willing to put themselves through to save lives. The public's memories and devotion do not last long. Lucky for us, cops and firefighters have courage every day to do a job that requires patience, brains, and bravery. Very few people would snap a laptop shut to save your life.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I always wented to be a cop, but id it didn't pay enough.. Houston ywould send us all letters, about 6 months prior to your ETS date from the Army.. good wage there, if you could live through the first year or two.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Can you imagine that, though? Businesses have to hire security so they don't get robbed. What happened to making the punishment so tough that criminals think twice before they rob you in the first place?

I swear, our criminal justice system is no different than paying the mob for protection back in the day.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
vraiblonde said:
Can you imagine that, though? Businesses have to hire security so they don't get robbed. What happened to making the punishment so tough that criminals think twice before they rob you in the first place?

I swear, our criminal justice system is no different than paying the mob for protection back in the day.
It's a vicious cycle that boils down to our need to put to death all murderers/molesters/etc. for first offenses. If we did, our prisons wouldn't be overcrowded with those who won't be "rehabilitated", leaving little room for those who commit "lesser" crimes, forcing the judges to decided to give a robber probation or only 1 or 2 years vs a more harsh sentence that is probably more deserved. :ohwell:

stormer41

Cops have aways been underpaid....my father was a cop in DC for 25 yrs
I spent many of the holidays never getting to see him...he always worked every Christmas and Thanksgiving...he had to work double shifts and wkends...would leave to go to work at 4am and sometimes would not get back until 7 or 8 at night or later. He wanted one of his kids to get into law enforcement... I had no desire to be a cop at that time and never will...those are my feelings and they probably will never change...but that doesn't mean that I don't respect the cop's that are out there all hours of the day and night 24 7. Oh....and they are aloud to take breaks too....what were you doing looking into his car anyways?....What they do on their breaks and time off is their own business

wideawake

Just tryin to stay awake
I was a cop, the stress is relentless. Spouses have to put up soooo much crap. And to think someone is complaining about a cop watching a movie. I would put my years salary on the line to say he was working part time at McDonalds. And yes some cops have computers in there car!

Anyone who thinks it is easy being a cop or that all they do is screw off can KMA. I've been married to one for nearly 16 years and my father was one for over 30 years. They work rotating shifts, weekends, holidays, often have to cancel vacations, work very long hours and have to swing back in at 6:00 a.m. when they didn’t fricken get home until mid-night or later, eat their meals in their patrol cars going from one call to the next, see things most people could even imagine in their jobs, and their families hardly ever see them and often wonder if today will be the day they don’t come home.

Roxie, if you want to bash some cop who was most likely working part-time for sitting in a parking lot watching a movie, why don't you go right down and pick up an application. Then you can be exposed to the wonderful working conditions of being a police officer and you can watch movies in your spare time, which will be never.[/QUOTE]