So I park next to the county cop at Charlotte Hall McDonalds tonight and he's

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
Nickel said:
I know how you feel. My little brother is Security Forces in the Air Force (essentially military police, however they are starting to train SF for combat - i.e. Iraq) and it's strange to think of him as being an authority figure. He used to be extreeeeeeeeeeeemely laid back. :lol:

My baby brother dropped out of UMBC recently (had a full ride too) to join the Marines. Broke my mothers heart. He's in infantry school now and then most certainly on his way to Iraq or Afghanistan.

Fenrir51

Nickel said:
I know how you feel. My little brother is Security Forces in the Air Force (essentially military police, however they are starting to train SF for combat - i.e. Iraq) and it's strange to think of him as being an authority figure. He used to be extreeeeeeeeeeeemely laid back. :lol:

Just out of curiosity did he pick that job or go in open general?

MysticalMom said:
My baby brother dropped out of UMBC recently (had a full ride too) to join the Marines. Broke my mothers heart. He's in infantry school now and then most certainly on his way to Iraq or Afghanistan.

Its not all that bad, I heard from some people who I know in the service that the reserves are being sent in to give the active guys a break.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
MysticalMom said:
You should be very proud of him for stepping up to the plate. :yay:

OldHillcrestGuy

It wasn't mentioned in the long hours a officer puts in what about the times they have worked the midnight shift, then have to wait till 9am for a court date or have one at 1pm that day or worse have one both in the morning and the afternoon and then have to come back to work that evening. Being a parent of two officers it gets really tricky to plan a family junction when they work different shifts, I think its about every 3 months that a weekend comes around where they are both off. Alot of officers now have laptops with them in there cruisers some they have bought themselves some that have been issued to them, which they use for doing alot of there paperwork, so if you see a officer sitting in his car in a parking lot with his computer on it might just be he is doing papework trying to keep up before his next call. Many officers rely on the part-time jobs to survive, you'd be surprised where many work part-time places you wouldnt think, gravel pits, new housing developements, (Hunters Brook helped that) furniture stores, trailer parks and yes they may have their laptops with them and may be watching a movie if its one of the more boring places, alot of times the businesses are paying for them and their crusier to be scene.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Pandora said:
You sure are sweet. :blushing:

But no, I suck at it BUT, if I'm not married to him, some women is going to snatch him up. :mad: And I’m not having that. :nono: IMO, there are more good women on the market than men so when a good one hits, they snatch them up and rightfully so.

Plus, I have him trained fairly well and he does laundry. :shrug:
those who 'would' try to snatch him up have a name....Badge Bunnies... and they come in ALL ages shapes and sizes...as we can well attest :lol:

you go girl..i've been my man's badge bunny for 25 years this summer. :biggrin: and love every minute of it (when he's home that is :lol:)

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
appyday said:
Honestly I did learn just this weekend that some McDonalds hire cops for security on weekends and nights..aparently cheaper then getting robbed all the time...Learn something every day...This may have even bee the cop we discussed..
IF it was (which i doubt - it was prolly county - they more fun stuff inside their cars), it was a Clinton Anderson DVD....does that mean this has to be moved into the horse forum? :killingme

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Mikeinsmd said:
How many other jobs do you know of that pay $17.00/hr starting out with good benefits?? :confused:
Tell me...would YOU put your Azz on the line (when the criminals have higher gun power with life vest piercing bullets, than the cops) pulling over a car on a dark road, all by yourself for 17.00 an hour and benefits that still have huge deductibles?

Mikeinsmd

happyappygirl said:
Tell me...would YOU put your Azz on the line (when the criminals have higher gun power with life vest piercing bullets, than the cops) pulling over a car on a dark road, all by yourself for 17.00 an hour and benefits that still have huge deductibles?
What's your point??? :confused: They know what the starting pay is when they join. It's their decision.

I suggest you reread my post. I never said they were over paid. I implied a starting salary of $17.00/hour is not peanuts. The more experienced and senior officers make substantially more.

Pandora

happyappygirl said:
those who 'would' try to snatch him up have a name....Badge Bunnies... and they come in ALL ages shapes and sizes...as we can well attest :lol:

you go girl..i've been my man's badge bunny for 25 years this summer. :biggrin: and love every minute of it (when he's home that is :lol:)

I was always told that the ones who chase them around are called “holster sniffers.”

My husband has had women walk up and hand him room keys, send flowers to the office, you name it. :rolleyes: And that is a tough thing to digest. And before anyone ask, yes, I’m insecure, you would be too if your spouse was being chased around by women who don’t even seem to care he is married.

Mike,

When you think of all they do, yes, the starting salary is peanuts. Administrative Assistants make about that to start. :shrug:

It is a public servant job and it is what it is.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Mikeinsmd said:
What's your point??? :confused: They know what the starting pay is when they join. It's their decision.

I suggest you reread my post. I never said they were over paid. I implied a starting salary of $17.00/hour is not peanuts. The more experienced and senior officers make substantially more.
I was asking a question. would you?

Mikeinsmd

happyappygirl said:
I was asking a question. would you?
If I was 21ish, I'd leap at that kind of starting salary.

22 yrs ago when I got out of the USAF and went into the electrical apprenticeship, I started at $4.09/hour. Electricity is dangerous & kills too.

Someone would have to do the math to convert the $4.09 into todays dollars.

Last edited:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Pandora said:
I was always told that the ones who chase them around are called “holster sniffers.”

My husband has had women walk up and hand him room keys, send flowers to the office, you name it. :rolleyes: And that is a tough thing to digest. And before anyone ask, yes, I’m insecure, you would be too if your spouse was being chased around by women who don’t even seem to care he is married.

Mike,

When you think of all they do, yes, the starting salary is peanuts. Administrative Assistants make about that to start. :shrug:

It is a public servant job and it is what it is.
but ya know....Rottncop had that crap when he went to people's houses to fix their TVs (when he was a very young adult) too :lol: One big 'ole woman came to the door to greet him in her filmy nightie, he plowed right past her, fixed her TV, and went back to the shop to laugh about it to his boss...until she called and said HE asked HER to put on that nightie for HIM :shocking: :dead: needless to say she dropped the phone when his boss told him what she was wearing before she could finish the story :lol: the hazards of public service job i suppose, :lol:
BTW....i know a girl who carries a BOB IN HER PURSE all the time...gee imagine their surprise... Trooper: "may i see your drivers license mam?" Her: "could you hold this for me while i open my wallet?"

Last edited:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Mikeinsmd said:
If I was 21ish, I'd leap at that kind of starting salary.
the academy accepts you right up to about 38 or 40 now a days. they can always use good men (or women of course)! :biggrin:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I never ceases to amaze me that cops, military personnel and teachers are modestly paid, yet entertainers and athletes make multi-millions.