Some interesting news for TV cordcutters

mitzi

Same here. Since Sling doesn't offer ABC or CBS, I added the Locast channel to Roku and can watch all the local channels.

So far so good.
Can I add Locast to FireTV? I'm basically a dummy when it comes to all of this. I really miss the local news and some of the local morning shows.

Curious, where are you located and is that cheap RCA antenna an outdoor unit?
Sorry I didn't get back sooner, got sidetracked. I'm in Town Creek, couple of blocks behind BAE.
Here's the antenna:

The power amp used:

And I also have a rotor. Like I said above somewhere, I got better reception with a piece of PVC v metal antenna mast. I also got a much larger high gain fringe antenna which I haven't had a chance to test and install. I expect much better reception with that.

I also said above that I was missing channels 2-13 because of the antenna range (UHF v VHF Low v VHF High). Funny thing.... I used a different TV and re-scanned, and I got channel 8. Tuner sensitivity can play a big part in the channels you can get.

Last edited:

mitzi

Not sure the app is in the fire TV store (yet).
I checked into this. I can order Locast from Amazon and they will send the app to the Fire TV. Debating on whether to try this, but it seems worth it if it works properly. I was reading the reviews on Amazon and many were complaining about the ads every 15 minutes asking for a donation and after the ad you lose your channel and go back to the Channel Guide. The minimum donation is $5 per month. If this works properly and not a PITA I think it will be worth the $5.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I checked into this. I can order Locast from Amazon and they will send the app to the Fire TV. Debating on whether to try this, but it seems worth it if it works properly. I was reading the reviews on Amazon and many were complaining about the ads every 15 minutes asking for a donation and after the ad you lose your channel and go back to the Channel Guide. The minimum donation is $5 per month. If this works properly and not a PITA I think it will be worth the $5.
I wouldn’t trust Amazon as far as I could throw him. Bezos was the American dream. Started out selling books out of his garage, and then took advantage. His employees are not happy campers. I will have nothing to do with Amazon. What a jerk Bezos is. An Alexa was given to us, and we never plugged it in. It went out with the trash.

PeoplesElbow

I wouldn’t trust Amazon as far as I could throw him. Bezos was the American dream. Started out selling books out of his garage, and then took advantage. His employees are not happy campers. I will have nothing to do with Amazon. What a jerk Bezos is. An Alexa was given to us, and we never plugged it in. It went out with the trash.
Not everything is political, he is a turd, but Amazon has has been a stand up business in the 10+ years that I have used them for things.

mitzi

I have no complaints about Amazon. If I've had problems with something I've ordered, the customer service has been great. If something I received was faulty, they have replaced it quickly with no problems. I've used the online chat for support when I had issues with the Fire TV. So, I have no complaints with their service. As far as unhappy employees the same goes for WalMart, McDonalds, etc. I would never last 2 days with any of them the way they treat the employees.

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
Not everything is political, he is a turd, but Amazon has has been a stand up business in the 10+ years that I have used them for things.
Nothing in my post was political. I don’t like Amazon’s biz practices, so I choose not to use them. He doesn’t treat his employees with respect. Power, and all. And, yes, Bezos, is a turd. :yay:

Last edited:

littlelady

God bless the USA
I have no complaints about Amazon. If I've had problems with something I've ordered, the customer service has been great. If something I received was faulty, they have replaced it quickly with no problems. I've used the online chat for support when I had issues with the Fire TV. So, I have no complaints with their service. As far as unhappy employees the same goes for WalMart, McDonalds, etc. I would never last 2 days with any of them the way they treat the employees.
Good. You deserve to be happy in your choices. I choose not to use Amazon. I think about how to use my retirement savings, wisely. I try to shop ‘local’ as much as I can. :)

Just an FYI, using the small RCA antenna and amp above, I'm getting 40 channels as of right now, atmospheric conditions permitting. Here's a channel list. For those channels with nothing in the "Approx Degrees" column, I used to get those but "lost" them along the way. The "Approx Degrees" is just my relative direction based on an arbitrary zero and is not real degrees.

Attachments

littlelady

God bless the USA
Find me a retail company that does. Most of them treat their employees terrible.
I have never worked retail, so did not know that. But, Bezos had humble beginnings, made a poop ton of money, and is very powerful. One would think that he would treat his employees with respect. Pay it forward, and all that. JMO. :)

mitzi

I have never worked retail, so did not know that. But, Bezos had humble beginnings, made a poop ton of money, and is very powerful. One would think that he would treat his employees with respect. Pay it forward, and all that. JMO. :)
WalMart and McDonald's are horrible. I haven't worked there but have had people I know tell me what they do. They don't get breaks all day but told to take their break 1/2 hour before they get off work. WalMart has/had employees do work after they clocked out for the day. On and on. I do believe WalMart got in big trouble over that, it was that common. I always worked in offices but several times I worked part time in retail. I couldn't get over they way the supervisors/managers talked to the employees, from yelling to cussing at them. disiplining them in front of customers, etc. It was that bad. Needless to say, I never lasted long at those part time jobs :lmao:.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Every JOB / company has good and bad employees / management

....... and if someone is getting asked to work ' off the clock ' there are Gov Agencies to report that

mitzi

Every JOB / company has good and bad employees / management

....... and if someone is getting asked to work ' off the clock ' there are Gov Agencies to report that
Unfortunately, most people are afraid to report it.