Something Killed my Rooster...what was it?

Woodyspda

Well let's see...

Here are your options:

1. fox
2. coyote
3. neighbor dog or stray dog
4. neighbor kid
5. cat
6. bird of prey IE eagle, hawk etc

Radiant1

Soul Probe
I came home from work two nights ago at around 10pm and found my Rooster (who was a very large one) laying in my yard. He was decapitated and there was no head anywhere. There was also no blood. Something tried to tear off his leg..or so it appeared and his chest was very bruised up. He also had a hole in his back.. What the hell did this? I live on the Mattawoman. Would Raccoons do this? I have two other chickens that were in the bushes in shock and they will not even go outside now. Any Ideas?

I have no answers for you. I had the same thing happen to my Pekin ducks about a year ago, and I still don't have an adequate explanation. I was told by a farmer that on occasion opossums will do such things if they're hungry enough and food is scarce; they will suck the blood out of a chicken and leave the body. I don't know if it's true or not, however. :shrug:

Skinny1

I read online that Raccoons will tear the head off and drink the blood from the neck. The reason I am doubting bird of prey is that it looks like whatever it was tried to rip the leg off....his whole inner thigh was tore as if something was trying to remove the leg. I dont think an owl would do that.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
I read online that Raccoons will tear the head off and drink the blood from the neck. The reason I am doubting bird of prey is that it looks like whatever it was tried to rip the leg off....his whole inner thigh was tore as if something was trying to remove the leg. I dont think an owl would do that.

That's probably it. My ducks were hit at night. Beheaded and the blood sucked dry with the body left intact. They are fairly large birds so I wouldn't think they would be a target for birds of prey or a cat, and a typical dog-type carnivore would have eaten the carcass, or so it seems to me.

lishokay

Okay Already
I came home from work two nights ago at around 10pm and found my Rooster (who was a very large one) laying in my yard. He was decapitated and there was no head anywhere. There was also no blood. Something tried to tear off his leg..or so it appeared and his chest was very bruised up. He also had a hole in his back.. What the hell did this? I live on the Mattawoman. Would Raccoons do this? I have two other chickens that were in the bushes in shock and they will not even go outside now. Any Ideas?

Several years ago, same thing happened to me... Found the rooster dead in the yard with his head cut off. We thought there was some sort of voodoo cult thing going on. Years later we find out, our neighbor was sick and tired of hearing the rooster crowing, so he caught it and shut it up!!

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
It's not funny at all. I have no idea what could have done it, but I wanted you to know I dont find it amusing and I feel for your frustration.
Ok here's a serious answer.

it was Ifthakar, an alien from the moon. But don't worry, NASA blasted his ass this morning at 7:31 am. :huggy:

Cowgirl

Owls and possums typically behead animals and leave the body. A fox would have taken the body.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Owls and possums typically behead animals and leave the body. A fox would have taken the body.

That's 2 for the opossum theory. I have opossums in my area, no owls that I'm aware of. It was a nocturnal crime and occured during the small drought we had, which might explain why they decided to go for my ducks after leaving them be for 2 years. It's making more sense now, thanks cowgirl.

I still miss my ducks. :bawl:

Cowgirl

That's 2 for the opossum theory. I have opossums in my area, no owls that I'm aware of. It was a nocturnal crime and occured during the small drought we had, which might explain why they decided to go for my ducks after leaving them be for 2 years. It's making more sense now, thanks cowgirl.

I still miss my ducks. :bawl:

We've lost many ducks to opposums. :mad:

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Whoa. opoosums KILL things? I knew they ate a bunch of things..but actually kill something? that is terrifying. I can just see it coming after my neck in the night.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I'm thinking if you aren't sleeping in a ditch you should be fine. :shrug:

Seriously. I am terrified now. I'm gonna have to leave my windows closed and such now. I always thought they were so cute. who thought they could rip a chickens head from its neck.. thats gotta take at least a little strength.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Seriously. I am terrified now. I'm gonna have to leave my windows closed and such now. I always thought they were so cute. who thought they could rip a chickens head from its neck.. thats gotta take at least a little strength.

Don't act like a chicken and you won't have to worry about getting your head ripped off, silly. :lol: