Something wicked this way comes... (Joaquin)

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
It sounds like overnight it made a north turn and won't have any impact on our area.

We dodged a bullet. :yay:

:yay:
Saw that this am, when getting up to go work out. :yahoo:

Probably will still get a lot of rain, though. Would be nice not to make up for lack of rain all in one week! :lol:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
:yay:
Saw that this am, when getting up to go work out. :yahoo:

Probably will still get a lot of rain, though. Would be nice not to make up for lack of rain all in one week! :lol:
All the rain we are getting now is not associated with Joaquin at all. Could you imagine all this as an appetizer for even a glancing blow from a strong TS?

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
I'm pretty sure I read that even though we were not getting hit with the hurricane, some area in MD will get up to 50mph winds. That's could still cause some significant damage along with all this rain. Winds are supposed too be pretty good today and tomorrow. Praying all the trees stay upright!

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
All the rain we are getting now is not associated with Joaquin at all. Could you imagine all this as an appetizer for even a glancing blow from a strong TS?

I know -wasn't really clear in my posting. Glad to have dodged the bullet - but we ARE still getting a ton of rain from the nor'easter and it would be nice to not have it all in the same week.

Was that better? :biggrin: lemmegogetmorecoffee

awpitt

Main Streeter
I'm pretty sure I read that even though we were not getting hit with the hurricane, some area in MD will get up to 50mph winds. That's could still cause some significant damage along with all this rain. Winds are supposed too be pretty good today and tomorrow. Praying all the trees stay upright!

SoMD won't get 50mph winds. At least not from the hurricane. The NHC has us a ways out of the 50kt wind probability area. The biggest weather impact for us is this "nor'easter" that's been dumping all this rain on the east coast.

Hurricane-JOAQUIN.jpg

Beta

Smile!
Florida. The state with the highest hurricane insurance premiums, yet we get hit way less than the rest of the Gulf or Atlantic states. Go figure. Hope wherever Joaquin hits damage is minimal at worst, with no loss of life.

Don't be stupid - if ordered to evacuate, evacuate, please. Don't be like the Katrina's or the TS Sandys........

Uh...how long have you been in Florida for? 5 years? Florida used to get pummeled and it will surely pick up again at some point (I heard it goes through rotations between Florida and the mid-Atlantic). One year we had 3+ hurricanes/scares in a 2 week period. Plus, it's further south where the water is warmer and the hurricanes get stronger. No offense to Sandy or Isabel, but they were much weaker than a lot of the storms that hit the south. Sure, there's flooding and that can be damaging, but that happens with tropical storms too. Florida is just a bit more prepared now since everyone is serious about hurricanes down there, whereas up north we don't prepare properly (including building codes). Just looking at the list of hurricanes, Florida has the most major storms to hit in that not too distant past (cat 3+). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_hurricanes

I know -wasn't really clear in my posting. Glad to have dodged the bullet - but we ARE still getting a ton of rain from the nor'easter and it would be nice to not have it all in the same week.

Was that better? :biggrin: lemmegogetmorecoffee

errm....until it has passed us, we haven't dodged a bullet. It's only a projection until that point and they're never accurate. Some of the models still show it coming this way. Even if it passes us, I remember one hurricane that made a circle and came back for us :jameo:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
It sounds like overnight it made a north turn and won't have any impact on our area.

We dodged a bullet. :yay:

Thank goodness! I see that my trench is doing a good job of routing the rain we're getting now, so I'm happy :smile:.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
SoMD won't get 50mph winds. At least not from the hurricane. The NHC has us a ways out of the 50kt wind probability area. The biggest weather impact for us is this "nor'easter" that's been dumping all this rain on the east coast.

RAIN or SMOW which is worse? :smile:

It's high water I'm worried about; I've got tons of "stuff" that needs to be moved and/or elevated if another Isabel is on the way.

You might catch a break. Weather guy just said that due to wind direction, water is being pulled out of the bay instead of being pushed in.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
You might catch a break. Weather guy just said that due to wind direction, water is being pulled out of the bay instead of being pushed in.

Our highest water event might well be in a couple hours. 2 hours till high tide yet and the tide is already at 3.25' and rising fast....about 3/4 of my yard is under water already and so is quite a bit of Piney Point Rd on the island.

It was a long wet miserable day at Bubby's auction today...and tomorrow isn't looking any better.

Our highest water event might well be in a couple hours. 2 hours till high tide yet and the tide is already at 3.25' and rising fast....about 3/4 of my yard is under water already and so is quite a bit of Piney Point Rd on the island.

It was a long wet miserable day at Bubby's auction today...and tomorrow isn't looking any better.

Sorry, buddy. :buddies:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Be safe and good luck.

How was the auction?
Anything good?

Plenty of good stuff..and a much lighter crowd than usual, of course. Scored a diesel lawn tractor and a couple smalls today. But Bubby cut it off early..so tomorrow they are going to really have to move out to auction off what is left.