Southern MD: The Best and the Worst

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Best things: Nice people, gorgeous views, lots of water, Solomons, crabs, stuffed ham.

Worst things: What Darlene said about the cranky come-heres.

Atir211

Worst things: What Darlene said about the cranky come-heres. [/B][/QUOTE]

It's true though, life is short and you should be where you wanna be, if you aren't stop the complaining and move on.....

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Let me clarify:

I agree with Darlene that the worst thing about Southern Maryland is the cranky come-heres complaining all the time.

SmallTown

Football season!
Worst thing is having county commissioners being torn is so many different directions.. Many don't want to see the type of "progress" we have made in recent years, yet they also like the revenue brought in by such "progress".. They know that the tree looks pretty, but they know the trees don't generate revenue. They know we don't want another gas station, but they also hate waiting in line to get a cheap tank of gas. They know we need better side access roads around the town, but people (or businesses) have a fit.. They have tried to extend FDR so it connects up with the wal-mart and k-mart, target shopping centers among other things, and until very recently it was a no-go (I've heard different reports about this road, anyone know the status?)

Darlene

Originally posted by SmallTown
[BMany don't want to see the type of "progress" we have made in recent years, yet they also like the revenue brought in by such "progress".. They know that the tree looks pretty, but they know the trees don't generate revenue. ?) [/B]

You've just described me in a "nutshell" SmallTown :blushing:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by MikeyBash
Best: short commute, friendly neighbors, the water.

Worst: lack of resturants.
Best: agreed above.

Worst? :confused: There are a lot of good restaurants (not including chains).

Otter

Nothing to see here
Re: Re: My thoughts...

Originally posted by Barbra
Oh, and the little boy that lives down the lane from me that rides his bike on my property and across my front yard and talks to himself. He really weirds me out.

Hmmmm..BK lives down the lane?

VinceD

Best: The boating, water skiing, tubing, the nice hot summers, mild winters, hunting and fishing. It's great most of the year round, except when it snows.

Worst: Traiffic, traiffic and more traiffic. Help!

K

Kain99

Gosh Catt..... That's really hard to top! I guess I'll just say I LOVE catching my own Maryland Blue Crabs.

pilot

Originally posted by Kyle
:lmao:

I hope for your sake your job never puts you in some place like Lewistown, Montana or Redbird, Wyoming! They'd have to keep you from sharp objects and rope. :lmao:

I couldn't have said it better myself! Honestly, folks, anyone who considers this place to be "isolated" has got to be clueless. Isolated compared to what, D.C.???

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
The best, we are close to everything anyone could want, but not so close to have all the associated problems.

The worst, like most of you have said, those that complain about the area before getting to know and enjoy it.

Cracka

Originally posted by pixiegirl
I remember the Bob's Big Boy. I went to Ohio a couple years ago and was amazed they still had them there. I have pictures of me and ol' Bob out front.

I'm originally from Ohio where we still have Frisches Big Boy and White Castles,my two fav restaurants in the whole world!!(you can get frozen White Castles in Foodlion but it's just not the same)
SO,..I shall first say,that is one of things here I least like is there are no longer a Big Boy and we never had White Castles here,AND,the traffic(many traffic lights and slow drivers).

But what like the most is the water,awesome scenery and that probably kept me here I think.We are close to the nations capitol where there is lot's of history that many folks never get to take advantage of.If you think it's isolated here try living between two hills in Southeatern Ohio,THAT'S isolated folks.

I have to agree about what some are saying about outsiders that complain,if they don't like it they should just leave,..I love it here or I wouldn't have stayed,all my family are still in Ohio yet here I am!

:biggrin:

Last edited:
H

Heretic

Best -at one point it was considered rural, I dont know how anyone could consider it a sleepy small town anymore, my job is here.

Worst -crackheads all over the Great Mills Road area (one was using my back porch as his personal party area for a short while), it takes so long to get someplace that I can see (eastern shore), traffic traffic traffic, Marylands crazy government (gun control laws, welfare programs etc), winters are almost nonexistant, when it does snow you got dumbasses in SUV's thinking they can drive 70 mph cause they got 4wd I didnt know 4wd made your brakes work better...., anytime there is a threat of snow its hard to find toilet paper, bread, or milk, out of whack realestate prices and rental prices, there really is no "country area" just small patches of land where there are no houses or stripmalls, and I've never seen so much difference between the haves and have-nots in one small area.

And for the record many of us "here comes" had pretty open minds about the area until the very first day all we hear from some locals is them ##### about people moving into the area, and its their fault they cant get a promotion, eating all their crabs, etc so locals are not without blame for the separation.

I was talking to several new people fresh out of college and they were talking about at their interview how they were told "everyone is so nice here" and one guy actually said the only people that ever seem nice came from other bases. In some organizations on base you can just see the discrimination of people that came from other bases. In mine quite a few complained to HRO about it and our management found out and yelled at the people that brought it up with HRO.

And as soon as I get my 3 years in im leaving, not leaving sooner because it doesnt look very good for someones professional career to leave a job so shortly after begining it. Unlike most people that ##### about the place I came here because I was told its a "sleepy backwoods place", personally I dont find it quite, sleepy or backwoodsy its just surburban sprawl as far as I am concerned.

H

Heretic

Originally posted by vraiblonde
Let me clarify:

I agree with Darlene that the worst thing about Southern Maryland is the cranky come-heres complaining all the time.

Vrai most of us just reciprocate because of all the cranky locals complaining about people moving into the area.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Heretic, I had a different experience when I moved to St. Mary's 16 years ago. Everyone was really nice to me and I felt welcome right away. Got involved in community efforts and made a lot of friends. I loved it that everyone seemed to know everyone else. I found all the "connect the dots" relationships fascinating.

But you're right that it's not for every one.

And Cracka, let me give a :yay: for the little I've seen of Ohio. We RVed to Columbus, then south to see the very cool flood wall - nice state and nice people!
:cheers:

Darlene

Heretic....If that is the way you feel, then the best thing I can tell you is...there are two ways in to St. Mary's County and two ways OUT. So...don't let the county hit you on the ### on your way OUT.

jlabsher

Sorry about that chief.
Best: Kind of country, but still close enough to multitude of shopping.

Worst: Being so far from the big city, all the trailer park trash.

I'm sorry, but I came from a smaller town than this(the county had less than 10K), where the major occupations were farmer, truck driver or coal miner and those folks were better than the ones in Lex Park, at least they worked. Try going to the Food Lion on Great Mills after dark. My wife won't. Try the old library, etc. And it's not just Lex Park, maybe it's a southern thing.

When we were looking to move to the area, everyone seemed friendly, after we got here that all changed, except for our neighbors.

The thing I really hate is lack of a good governmental system. What is it about MD that keeps them from having an actual governmental jurisdiction smaller than county? If there was an actual town of California, Great Mills, etc instead of just the county board to run things, I believe it would be much better.