Southern MD: The Best and the Worst

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Re: Re: Re: Southern MD: The Best and the Worst

Originally posted by SmallTown
Nordstrom is only for singles?? Damn, guess my wife and I will have to stop shopping there..

Of course married people shop at Nordstrom's too. But most of the people I know who go there are either single, or married people with no children.

I agree with you about the overabundance of liquor stores and empty stores.

Last edited:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Where do married couples with children shop?

From my own experience, Sears, Target, JC Penney and Wal-Mart. Nordstrom's is more like Saks Fifth Avenue. As for Nordstrom's supposedly "top-notch" customer service--my wife went there to buy shoes a few years ago and encountered nothing but snooty rude clerks.

SxyPrincess

Where do married couples with children shop?

I'm not married but I have a child. For her, I shop at the Children's place, Old Navy, Gymboree and Gap kids. Sometimes I can find good deals at Walmart and Target.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by SxyPrincess
I'm not married but I have a child. For her, I shop at the Children's place, Old Navy, Gymboree and Gap kids. Sometimes I can find good deals at Walmart and Target.
I am married, but I shop at all the same places for my daughter.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Tonio

Nordstrom's is more like Saks Fifth Avenue. As for Nordstrom's supposedly "top-notch" customer service--my wife went there to buy shoes a few years ago and encountered nothing but snooty rude clerks.

Saks? Not quite, but we like it.

We haven't seen snooty clerks when we have gone, sorry to hear you had a bad experience. Its a nice place because you can pretty much find anything you want, in just about any price range.

SmallTown

Football season!
Buying clothes for kids is a little different since they outgrow them in like 2-3 months it seems.. Getting decent clothes for a reasonable price is what you have to do.

Delilah903

Re: Re: Southern MD: The Best and the Worst

And no one is "forced" to move here for employment, except if they're in uniform. When the Crystal City workers came here, they had the option of finding another job if they wanted to stay in the D.C. area. They had to decide what was more important: their job or their neighborhood. A difficult choice, of course, but they at least had a choice.

When the people from Pax River had to commute to Crystal City, how much sympathy did we get from the folks in Crystal City?

If they wanted the bright lights and fast pace of the big city, why didn't they just commute like we did for years and years? You are right Tonio, no one was forced to move here to retain their employment. We, here in St. Mary's County, enjoy our laid back way of life and for those who don't, Oh Well!!!

Jameo

What?!
Re: Re: Re: Re: Southern MD: The Best and the Worst

I agree with you about the overabundance of liquor stores

Can there really be such a thing?:cheers: :lmao:

Erin

Best of Southern Maryland - the locals
Worst - the newcommers

Just kidding, I try to judge people based on their character, not the area they were born in.

People that do not enjoy the area or being stuck here because they are in the service need to change their perspective. It is what you make of it.

Erin

I've Made it

and although I am a 'local,' it never had significance until now - because after 50 posts I am now "one of the gang."

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by Ken King

Should I repeat myself every time someone make this statement? I think not, but there are a lot more then two ways out. I hope you are happy now and have dried your tears.

Well, there's Route 4, Route 5, Route 6 and Route 234...

Did I miss any?

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
SmallT - I think I'm figuring out why people say that if you don't like St. Mary's, you should just leave... Relentless negative attitude probably draws the responses you have received...

SmallTown

Football season!
Nod,

I'm not sure which messages you are refering to. The last thing we were discussing was shopping and there was nothing negative there.

And, we heard the notion of "Just leave" back when we first started living here and trying to enjoy it. It started out when we first moved here and asked where the headquarters library was after going to the one in LP and finding it rather limited. (back home, we have several small "neighborhood libraries", then one central or headquarters library which is larger). Instead of just stating that is the only local library that we have, they go off saying if its not good enough then we should just leave.. Sheesh. All we were looking for was a library. It would have been nicer if they would have pointed us to the library at the college which is more of what we were looking for.. But nooooo. They had to get an attitude..

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Nod,

I'm not sure which messages you are refering to. The last thing we were discussing was shopping and there was nothing negative there.

And, we heard the notion of "Just leave" back when we first started living here and trying to enjoy it. It started out when we first moved here and asked where the headquarters library was after going to the one in LP and finding it rather limited. (back home, we have several small "neighborhood libraries", then one central or headquarters library which is larger). Instead of just stating that is the only local library that we have, they go off saying if its not good enough then we should just leave.. Sheesh. All we were looking for was a library. It would have been nicer if they would have pointed us to the library at the college which is more of what we were looking for.. But nooooo. They had to get an attitude..

Maybe I'm getting you confused with Heretic. But, it is frustrating hearing your negative stories. It's frustrating that you guys come back at me with disbelief and more negative stories. I'm sure it's equally frustrating being the recipient of these experiences, which has soured your attitude towards the people here.

For what it's worth (and my frustration is that it apparently isn't worth much to you guys,) I still believe that your negative experiences reflect a small minority of the local population, and went so far as to give examples of farming families who have embraced the opportunity that Pax River has brought to Southern Maryland.

That's too bad about the library. We now have a regional library in Mechanicsville off of Route 6.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Nodnarb

Well, there's Route 4, Route 5, Route 6 and Route 234...

Did I miss any?

Well you’ve got all the numbered routes covered. However, in terms of exiting St. Mary’s County you can accomplish it by using Mount Wolf Road or Golden Beach Road to Mount Wolf Road in Mechanicsville to tie into Carrico Mill Road. Also up that way you can use Whalen Road and Beethoven Road to get you out of the county but not much farther. As you move west across the northern boundary you can use Dixie Lyon Road off of RT. 236 as well as Ryceville Road. All of these can get you out of the county as well as the ones you mentioned.