Southern MD: The Best and the Worst

SmallTown

Football season!
Why is it the developers that come in down here focus on the "slash and build" method? When they go to develop an area, they completely wipe out any trees or greenery which may be in the area, then pave everything over and start building.. One of the things that really amazed me about areas like NoVa is that sure, there are tons of people, tons of buildings and shopping.. But drive through some of the areas in Fairfax.. You would be amazed by how green everything is, even around and in the middle of the commercial and retail areas.. How many park areas there are in the different areas.. Tree lined streets, jogging trails, etc. Just a lot of "greenery". I think people see the development here and think "My god, if there is this much concrete down here, I couldn't imagine how bad it must be up in NoVa"
First Colony was supposed to be the first planned area to keep such "natural" things within their development.. But the next thing you know, EVERYTHING is gone.. You people really need to get with the commissioners to see to it the the builders do not do this anymore, or you will end up with one big parking lot down here (and aside from not being pleasing to the eye, it is terrible for the environment)..

I have heard of some of the plans to revamp lexington park, which included adding little park areas and just more "greenery", but the budget apparantly doesn't seem adequate.. You need to keep putting pressure on them .. Show them this is what the people want.. The people know there is a need for most of the businesses here now and ones in the future, but make it more appealing both to the eye and the environment.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Are we saying that yes the people are nice, but only the ones I work with because we are in the same line of work and can relate to one another?
People tend to say "every one" when what they really mean is "the one I had". Just the way people do.

H

Heretic

SmallTown you make a good point. I tend to judge a place by how I am treated at the buisnesses that I visit. Besides at work the most people I interact with is while patronizing resturants and stores in the area, as well as driving down the road. I guess its only newcommers that are doing the complaining about the rude drivers, service industry folks and the gas stations popping up on every corner.

Most of the better resturants have friendly service but since its usually kids doing all the waitressing etc the service competancy reflects it (hey what can you expect from a 16 yo) but fast food joints are another story, Its rare that you hear a thank you on the rare occasion I've gone through the MdDonalds drive through on Great Mills road the person at the drive in window didnt say a word to me, didnt ask what kinda sauce I wanted with my Chicken McNuggets just threw 2 of every kind in the bag (6 tubs of sauce for 6 nuggets). The McDonalds on base is a different story the people almost always say thank you and its even cleaner.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Why is it the developers that come in down here focus on the "slash and build" method?
Now you're talking - I've never understood the "stupid growth" method myself. There's so much potential with the natural beauty of the area - why not capitalize on that?

G

giggles04

Originally posted by blueeyes76
There are a lot of things I like about Southern Maryland, I'd have to choose the scenery as what I like best.

The worst has nothing to do with Southern Maryland. I don't like how the people (NOT ALL OF THEM) who aren't from around here look down on the locals. I hate when people use the term SMIB so freely and they don't even know what it means.

I grew up here. I remember when there wasn't even a mall in Waldorf, so I'm used to having to travel long distances for shopping. That doesn't bother me at all.

I would have to agree on that:)

K

Kizzy

Most of the better resturants have friendly service but since its usually kids doing all the waitressing etc the service competancy reflects it (hey what can you expect from a 16 yo) but fast food joints are another story, Its rare that you hear a thank you on the rare occasion I've gone through the MdDonalds drive through on Great Mills road the person at the drive in window didnt say a word to me, didnt ask what kinda sauce I wanted with my Chicken McNuggets just threw 2 of every kind in the bag (6 tubs of sauce for 6 nuggets). The McDonalds on base is a different story the people almost always say thank you and its even cleaner.

Sounds like management has the problem for letting this behavior exist. My biggest complaint, at the drive thru, is not getting a straw. Now, my son had a huge fit over the summer when we left a drive thru. He didn't get any ketchup with his fries and BLASTED the workers there as we went down the road and we (the hubby & I) had to stop at 7-11 to pick up ketchup to calm him down. Even the hubby and I had different opinions on the issue. I said just eat the fries without ketchup and the hubby said they should have asked and should always ask so your son has every right to get upset. Made me think of John Getz in the Lethal Weapon movies. You always get *&%k!d at the drive thru

Last edited by a moderator:

pilot

SmallTown:

You bring up an excellent point about "slash and build" growth. I don't know much about the local politics, but somebody is making some really poor decisions! The latest I heard is that they want to put a Home Depot right in the middle of Wildewood! With all the empty fields around here (not to mention vacant real estate), I can't help but to think that they could have picked a better location.

The area's beautiful, but I just hope it stays that way!

Let me ask another question:

Is ANYBODY here (either local or newcomer) really happy with the way the development is going? Can anybody give me some insight into the local politics, and why our county commissioners make the decisions that they do?

SmallTown

Football season!
developers have very deep pockets. Can be the only explanation I can think of.

Or maybe the developers are somehow able to convince the local government this is the way it is done everywhere. They then look around and see that wow, this really isn't how it is done elsewhere and try to stop it.. But by then the approvals have gone through and then the developers dangle the money carrot in front of them and they forget all about the problems..

Have NOTHING that actually backs this up.. Just my little conspiracy theory :biggrin:

In general, I don't trust developers.. Thus the basis for this theory..

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
the developers dangle the money carrot in front of them and they forget all about the problems
Now you understand why so many people won't be voting for Julie Randall on Tuesday.

H

Heretic

Julie Randall

I dont know about some circles but where I work on base there was a rumor floating arround that the base is going to be closing, no doubt the rumor was started from the Julie Randall commercial that eludes to the fact that she can keep that from happening. I don't see this base ever closing due to the sheer economic impact that it would have (they take that into consideration supposedly).

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
As long as Steny Hoyer is the Congressman for Southern Maryland, that base isn't going anywhere. Julie Randall has absolutely, positively no say-so as far as base closures go, no matter what her advertising says.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by SmallTown
First Colony was supposed to be the first planned area to keep such "natural" things within their development..

Huh? Ever driven through Wildewood, SmallT? Can't see the houses for the trees and natural preservation... They build around hard-wood trees which would make First Colony about 20 years late to the party.

J

justhangn

Originally posted by blueeyes76
I don't like how the people (NOT ALL OF THEM) who aren't from around here look down on the locals. I hate when people use the term SMIB so freely and they don't even know what it means.

I'm from here and still look down on most of the locals. :biggrin:

I love the quietness and the scenery.

I hate all of the development.

Delilah903

Originally posted by Darlene
Heretic....If that is the way you feel, then the best thing I can tell you is...there are two ways in to St. Mary's County and two ways OUT. So...don't let the county hit you on the ### on your way OUT.

Yes.....!!!! You go Darlene!! I could not agree more!!!!!

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Nodnarb

Huh? Ever driven through Wildewood, SmallT? Can't see the houses for the trees and natural preservation... They build around hard-wood trees which would make First Colony about 20 years late to the party.

To me, it is a given to have a subdivision look that way.. The many new ones that are not like that I just laugh at and move on (when we were looking at buying a new house here).

I'm talking about commercial and retail areas..
Anyone who actually think this area isn't full of slash and build development really are looking through SOMD colored glasses. This type of development is what has both the locals and newbies are complaining about.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Having lived here 22 years, I haven't run into anti-newcomer feeling since I graduated high school. Maybe that's because I was still new here myself, or maybe it was because some of the local kids hadn't yet grown up enough not to stereotype.

Here's a great analogy for complaints about Southern Maryland:

For years, people have moved to Phoenix and Tuscon for relief from sinus allergies. The pollen counts in these cities have risen so much that sometimes they're worse than in many of America's non-desert cities. Why? Well, the newcomers bring many non-desert plants with them to remind them of home. But many times, these plants are the ones causing their allergies, and these people don't know it!

Sounds like the people who move to Southern Maryland to get away from the city, but complain about the lack of nightlife and shopping. A Nordstrom's or a 9:30 Club can only survive in an area with lots of single people with disposable income.

And no one is "forced" to move here for employment, except if they're in uniform. When the Crystal City workers came here, they had the option of finding another job if they wanted to stay in the D.C. area. They had to decide what was more important: their job or their neighborhood. A difficult choice, of course, but they at least had a choice.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Darlene
Heretic....If that is the way you feel, then the best thing I can tell you is...there are two ways in to St. Mary's County and two ways OUT. So...don't let the county hit you on the ### on your way OUT.

Oh, come on Ken.. You had comments towards me when I mentioned two ways in and two ways out, who not jump in on this one as well?? Darn double standards.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by SmallTown

Oh, come on Ken.. You had comments towards me when I mentioned two ways in and two ways out, who not jump in on this one as well?? Darn double standards.

Should I repeat myself every time someone make this statement? I think not, but there are a lot more then two ways out. I hope you are happy now and have dried your tears.

SmallTown

Football season!
Re: Re: Southern MD: The Best and the Worst

Originally posted by Tonio
A Nordstrom's or a 9:30 Club can only survive in an area with lots of single people with disposable income.

Nordstrom is only for singles?? Damn, guess my wife and I will have to stop shopping there..

One thing I always find interesting.. You have people complaining about the "sprawl" in this area.. Yea, they always fight for the MANY mom and pop stores to litter the landscape. People think big stores are bad, but the big stores can actually allow for LESS land being used.. Take for instance the liquor store we have on every block... Consolidate some of those and make a few larger ones.. Take all the bingo halls.. make two giant ones and be done.. save a lot of land.. take the pitiful JCPenneys and Belk out that we have here and put in a larger sized Hechts or something similar, thus it would take up less retail space and less need for future development. I just think this notion of build build build is a waste.. Take what we have, manipulate it around a little bit and we could have some decent retail and recreational facilities while using only a minimal amount of land.. But I guess we just really enjoy the current eyesores called "the square" and millison plaza

K

Kain99

But....... without a liqour store on every corner we'd all have to drive for our fix! We cannot allow bad ideas like this to infiltrate our happy paradise. (when'd ya say you were moving?)