Special needs and mainstreaming

mainstream

• They have every right to attend, regardless of disruption

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • No, if they cant keep up, they should find alternatives

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • They should be allowed to attend, until disruption is proven.

Votes: 24 66.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bcp

In My Opinion
Im impressed with the results of this poll so far.

more people are for inclusion in this case than against it.

however, I do still see a strong point being made by the parents that did the complaining.
as far as autistic goes, I have only known two autistic kids. Both of them are great kids and a lot of fun to be around. The will both tire you out pretty quick, but with all the problems that they may have, they both certainly use their brain to the fullest, and I would go as far to say that they push their brains further than most non-autistic children do.

yet, Im not too sure I would hop in the car with either one behind the wheel, as great as they are, you have to realize that there are going to be some limitations, and some things that they just may not be doing in their life.
One of them I speak of, I would really love to see him playing tennis or something, I have a funny feeling that with enough intense instruction, He might just be able to hold his own pretty quick.

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
I think you're going overboard.

I am just calling it how I see it. I don't want your "autistic" kid being around my "normal" kid because he needs more help. The thread doesn't say that I don't want to be in a class with the clumsy normal kid that whines and cries and demands extra attention. So we are discriminating over what is "normal" and what is abnormal, and to what extent we can shun another human being from society. Am I not correct? My daughter has autism. I spend/lose at least 40K on her education every year. She has an above average IQ and amazes me everyday on her talents. I want her to learn to be a part of society, but if society is always saying "no, you can’t be in our club because you have a disability" then she will never be a part of society. What many of you fail to understand is that most of these children are still segregated in the schools away from the "typical" kids. These children NEED to be around typically developing kids to help them learn social skills. The only way some parents feel they can provide typically developing kids is to join a ball team or play group. I am sure it is that parent’s worst fear that once again her child is being pushed away by other parents or places because her child has autism and needs additional help. The kid has a shadow/aide. What is the big deal? I can understand totally if your child was being physically harmed, but it doesn't sound like that is the case. Having a child with autism has taught me a lot about life. The biggest thing it has taught me is how other parents take their children's progress for granted and worry about petty things all of the time.
YouTube - Can you spot autism?

bcp

In My Opinion
I think you're going overboard.

I am just calling it how I see it. I don't want your "autistic" kid being around my "normal" kid because he needs more help. The thread doesn't say that I don't want to be in a class with the clumsy normal kid that whines and cries and demands extra attention. So we are discriminating over what is "normal" and what is abnormal, and to what extent we can shun another human being from society. Am I not correct? My daughter has autism. I spend/lose at least 40K on her education every year. She has an above average IQ and amazes me everyday on her talents. I want her to learn to be a part of society, but if society is always saying "no, you can’t be in our club because you have a disability" then she will never be a part of society. What many of you fail to understand is that most of these children are still segregated in the schools away from the "typical" kids. These children NEED to be around typically developing kids to help them learn social skills. The only way some parents feel they can provide typically developing kids is to join a ball team or play group. I am sure it is that parent’s worst fear that once again her child is being pushed away by other parents or places because her child has autism and needs additional help. The kid has a shadow/aide. What is the big deal? I can understand totally if your child was being physically harmed, but it doesn't sound like that is the case. Having a child with autism has taught me a lot about life. The biggest thing it has taught me is how other parents take their children's progress for granted and worry about petty things all of the time.
YouTube - Can you spot autism?
WTF are you rambling on about?

Cowgirl

some people see it differently.
personally, I refuse to be tied to any sport that requires me to be around weekends.

My family definitely wasn't in to sports. I played t-ball one year, and my sister played softball one year. My parents wanted us to at least try something. We were both in band though. I just don't understand how/why parents get so caught up in their kids' sports. :shrug: Different strokes for different folks I guess. I guess it's really no different than some of those band parents though. :lol:

bcp

In My Opinion
My family definitely wasn't in to sports. I played t-ball one year, and my sister played softball one year. My parents wanted us to at least try something. We were both in band though. I just don't understand how/why parents get so caught up in their kids' sports. :shrug: Different strokes for different folks I guess. I guess it's really no different than some of those band parents though. :lol:
yes, but honestly, how often have you seen band parents fighting with other band parents over a bad note or something?:killingme
NERD FIGHT :duel:

p.s.
I was in the band

Sadielady

Ahhhh Florida!
yes, but honestly, how often have you seen band parents fighting with other band parents over a bad note or something?:killingme
NERD FIGHT :duel:

p.s.
I was in the band

Somehow that doesn't suprise me. I guess I am just rambling again.:whistle:

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
WTF are you rambling on about?

Walk in someone else's shoes for a mile. Take a look at Sadie's video. Put yourself in her shoes. Then, perhaps, if you are really lucky and open your mind a tiny bit, you will understand what she is rambling about.

I wouldn't be so fast to throw stones. You never know when you will be forced to walk in the shoes of the person at whom you threw the stones.

bcp

In My Opinion
Walk in someone else's shoes for a mile. Take a look at Sadie's video. Put yourself in her shoes. Then, perhaps, if you are really lucky and open your mind a tiny bit, you will understand what she is rambling about.

I wouldn't be so fast to throw stones. You never know when you will be forced to walk in the shoes of the person at whom you threw the stones.
You people are F-ing nuts.

where did I throw stones?

now if you want me to, Im sure arguments could be made.

bcp

In My Opinion
I suppose I can now expect the gratuitus attack for my poll, followed up by the progression of a-holes following me around trying to make every issue into an I hate the handicap?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I am just calling it how I see it. I don't want your "autistic" kid being around my "normal" kid because he needs more help. The thread doesn't say that I don't want to be in a class with the clumsy normal kid that whines and cries and demands extra attention.

You're all bent out of shape simply because the question was asked???

Seriously???

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

The question was asked, it was discussed. What's the problem? I didn't see any stones being thrown - maybe some expressed reservation about the situation, somd got an education, and I think this has gone rather well considering the turn it could have taken.

Vince

The question is this.
If you were to spend money to put your child in a tennis, or dance etc... class, and when you got there you discovered that the class had a special education student ex.. autistic, mentally challenged, whatever, would you be upset?
If that child is going to need more attention, and more time to learn, its going to detract from what your child gets as far as instruction. Since you paid good money for the class, do you expect that those in the class be able to keep up with the course all the way through, or is it perfectly ok for your child to have less of a learning experience while the teacher and shadows deal with the child in question.

same for school, is it fair to the other children to be slowed down by the challenged child.

no need to get nasty, Im just curious.
I see nothing wrong with your question, and I am a parent of an autistic child, now adult. They tried to mainstream my son in school at one point, he was disruptive to the other students and was getting nothing out of the classes. I had him put back in Special Ed. Best move I ever made because he learned more at his own pace. Today he reads, writes, does math, etc. and probably better spelling than some of the posters I've seen around here. :lol: He'll never be absolutely normal, but then who the hell is. As far as a tennis program or some sport? If I'm paying for lessons in whatever sport, my son deserves as much time as yours, no more or less. If he needs extra time, I should pay for it and so should the person that wants more for their child normal or handicapped.

Status
Not open for further replies.