Special needs and mainstreaming

mainstream

• They have every right to attend, regardless of disruption

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • No, if they cant keep up, they should find alternatives

Votes: 8 22.2%
  • They should be allowed to attend, until disruption is proven.

Votes: 24 66.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

bcp

In My Opinion
I see nothing wrong with your question, and I am a parent of an autistic child, now adult. They tried to mainstream my son in school at one point, he was disruptive to the other students and was getting nothing out of the classes. I had him put back in Special Ed. Best move I ever made because he learned more at his own pace. Today he reads, writes, does math, etc. and probably better spelling than some of the posters I've seen around here. :lol: He'll never be absolutely normal, but then who the hell is. As far as a tennis program or some sport? If I'm paying for lessons in whatever sport, my son deserves as much time as yours, no more or less. If he needs extra time, I should pay for it and so should the person that wants more for their child normal or handicapped.
At least someone understands.
you sure you dont want to tell me what a bad person I am for asking this question that was brought up because of complaints from OTHER PARENTS...

some people just run around graspin at any straw they can that can bring them the pleasure of being offended or picked on.

What they think is not important. What I know, and what others have real knowledge of me with regards to Autistic or, handicap children is a bit different that ms. Pickedons impression.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I see nothing wrong with your question, and I am a parent of an autistic child, now adult. They tried to mainstream my son in school at one point, he was disruptive to the other students and was getting nothing out of the classes. I had him put back in Special Ed. Best move I ever made because he learned more at his own pace. Today he reads, writes, does math, etc. and probably better spelling than some of the posters I've seen around here. :lol: He'll never be absolutely normal, but then who the hell is. As far as a tennis program or some sport? If I'm paying for lessons in whatever sport, my son deserves as much time as yours, no more or less. If he needs extra time, I should pay for it and so should the person that wants more for their child normal or handicapped.

You're being way too sensible about this. Stop it. I mean it. :nono:

blitz10

The question is this.
If you were to spend money to put your child in a tennis, or dance etc... class, and when you got there you discovered that the class had a special education student ex.. autistic, mentally challenged, whatever, would you be upset?
If that child is going to need more attention, and more time to learn, its going to detract from what your child gets as far as instruction.
Since you paid good money for the class, do you expect that those in the class be able to keep up with the course all the way through, or is it perfectly ok for your child to have less of a learning experience while the teacher and shadows deal with the child in question.

same for school, is it fair to the other children to be slowed down by the challenged child.

no need to get nasty, Im just curious.

I think your child will than learn two lessons, dance and how to relate to others in society with special needs.

maybe you should do private lessons

bcp

In My Opinion
I think your child will than learn two lessons, dance and how to relate to others in society with special needs.

maybe you should do private lessons
I think you should read through again, this time try to use a bit of comprehension.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I think you're going overboard.
I am just calling it how I see it. I don't want your "autistic" kid being around my "normal" kid because he needs more help. The thread doesn't say that I don't want to be in a class with the clumsy normal kid that whines and cries and demands extra attention. So we are discriminating over what is "normal" and what is abnormal, and to what extent we can shun another human being from society. Am I not correct? My daughter has autism. I spend/lose at least 40K on her education every year. She has an above average IQ and amazes me everyday on her talents. I want her to learn to be a part of society, but if society is always saying "no, you can’t be in our club because you have a disability" then she will never be a part of society. What many of you fail to understand is that most of these children are still segregated in the schools away from the "typical" kids. These children NEED to be around typically developing kids to help them learn social skills. The only way some parents feel they can provide typically developing kids is to join a ball team or play group. I am sure it is that parent’s worst fear that once again her child is being pushed away by other parents or places because her child has autism and needs additional help. The kid has a shadow/aide. What is the big deal? I can understand totally if your child was being physically harmed, but it doesn't sound like that is the case. Having a child with autism has taught me a lot about life. The biggest thing it has taught me is how other parents take their children's progress for granted and worry about petty things all of the time.
YouTube - Can you spot autism?

I think it's sad that this is the biggest thing you've learned about life, while having a child with special needs. It sounds like you have a chip on your shoulder.

Bann

PREMO Member
Walk in someone else's shoes for a mile. Take a look at Sadie's video. Put yourself in her shoes. Then, perhaps, if you are really lucky and open your mind a tiny bit, you will understand what she is rambling about.

I wouldn't be so fast to throw stones. You never know when you will be forced to walk in the shoes of the person at whom you threw the stones.

With all due respect, bcp wasn't throwing any stones at anyone. He was asking a question based on concerns of other parents. I understand bcp asking the question. I understand the other parents' having the concern. [I personally feel sorry for them if it is more important to them to worry that their precious Susie or Johnny isn't getting all the attention they feel they should.] I just think it is crass to tell someone to walk a mile in someone else's shoes when you don't even know the shoes they're walking in. Bcp didn't say these were HIS feelings. He was asking about other parents' concerns.

As I've said before, I have a kid with special needs. At times, he's had to face a gamut of slurs, being shunned and mistreated by ignorant kids, being taken for granted or being ignored/written off as some kind of dolt by totally ignorant adults. But that is not by the majority of people in his life, thank God. And it's because I, as his mother, have made certain that people who are in his life have his best interests at heart.

I have never - not even once in his life - forced him upon anyone or any group whether I paid money for him to join or not, if they didn't want him around. I have demanded that they accept him not matter what - just because he has "right" to be there, I've never used activities for babysitting services, nor did I even put him in paid daycare, after school care, etc.- because I always felt it was MY responsibility to raise him and not others'. That meant I didn't work outside of the home for most of his life and it meant that my life has been a whole lot more complicated than it might have otherwise been. But it's my charge to keep, the hand I was dealt, etc. I don't hold that against other people and I don't blame them for my situation, and I don't expect special favors for it.

devinej

bcp - your poll is legitimate, but what you have said really takes slashes at parents of kids with special needs...at what they work so hard to get for their children. you are really just sticking in a knife and twisting it with your words. the emotions that go along with having a kid with special needs may be beyond what you can comprehend.

just because mainstreaming is the law doesn't mean its easy to get for the kids. how much parents have to fight...the emotional battle of it all.... and here you go....coming across as saying they shouldn't have it, whether that's exactly what you meant or not. ouch. really.

it sounds like you are here saying this for other parents?? why don't you just let them say it themselves....you could just stay out of it........

and as for the situation with the tennis lessons....sounds like the instructor has her hands too full, the kid needs an aid/shadow. that's my opinion on the matter. i think that if an instructor could potentially have special needs kids in her classes, she should be prepared with a class or two on the matter. also, if the kid needs more attention than can be expended on him or her, then the kid should have an aid,

oh, BTW: "autistic kids" is not PC, just so you know. Child with autism is. Some use the term autist. don't know how i feel about that. I bet you know more than just 2 kids with autism...you just don't know it! you'd be surprised at how well therapies are working these days. they are kids too, just like your daughter in more ways than you are aware of.

bcp

In My Opinion
bcp - your poll is legitimate, but what you have said really takes slashes at parents of kids with special needs...at what they work so hard to get for their children. you are really just sticking in a knife and twisting it with your words. the emotions that go along with having a kid with special needs may be beyond what you can comprehend.

just because mainstreaming is the law doesn't mean its easy to get for the kids. how much parents have to fight...the emotional battle of it all.... and here you go....coming across as saying they shouldn't have it, whether that's exactly what you meant or not. ouch. really.

it sounds like you are here saying this for other parents?? why don't you just let them say it themselves....you could just stay out of it........

and as for the situation with the tennis lessons....sounds like the instructor has her hands too full, the kid needs an aid/shadow. that's my opinion on the matter. i think that if an instructor could potentially have special needs kids in her classes, she should be prepared with a class or two on the matter. also, if the kid needs more attention than can be expended on him or her, then the kid should have an aid,

oh, BTW: "autistic kids" is not PC, just so you know. Child with autism is. Some use the term autist. don't know how i feel about that. I bet you know more than just 2 kids with autism...you just don't know it! you'd be surprised at how well therapies are working these days. they are kids too, just like your daughter in more ways than you are aware of.

personally, I think the horse poop is getting to you all in the bin.
now run on back and send someone else to try an misquote me.

Bann

PREMO Member
personally, I think the horse poop is getting to you all in the bin.
now run on back and send someone else to try an misquote me.

:lol:

I noticed there were several of the posters from the horse forum, too. I've hardly seen postings from them where I frequently hang out.

And who's ever accused you of being PC? I'm just sayin'. :biggrin:

devinej

bcp - i didn't misquote you
I think you need to spend a little time in the horse poop yourself. or maybe ignorance is bliss for you.........

bcp

In My Opinion
:lol:

I noticed there were several of the posters from the horse forum, too. I've hardly seen postings from them where I frequently hang out.

And who's ever accused you of being PC? I'm just sayin'. :biggrin:
Im not PC at all. Never have been, dont expect I ever will be.
Im just saying that maybe the poop leaves one unable to understand what they read.

shouldnt be long before the next pooper comes in .

blitz10

I think you're going overboard.

I am just calling it how I see it. I don't want your "autistic" kid being around my "normal" kid because he needs more help. The thread doesn't say that I don't want to be in a class with the clumsy normal kid that whines and cries and demands extra attention. So we are discriminating over what is "normal" and what is abnormal, and to what extent we can shun another human being from society. Am I not correct? My daughter has autism. I spend/lose at least 40K on her education every year. She has an above average IQ and amazes me everyday on her talents. I want her to learn to be a part of society, but if society is always saying "no, you can’t be in our club because you have a disability" then she will never be a part of society. What many of you fail to understand is that most of these children are still segregated in the schools away from the "typical" kids. These children NEED to be around typically developing kids to help them learn social skills. The only way some parents feel they can provide typically developing kids is to join a ball team or play group. I am sure it is that parent’s worst fear that once again her child is being pushed away by other parents or places because her child has autism and needs additional help. The kid has a shadow/aide. What is the big deal? I can understand totally if your child was being physically harmed, but it doesn't sound like that is the case. Having a child with autism has taught me a lot about life. The biggest thing it has taught me is how other parents take their children's progress for granted and worry about petty things all of the time.
YouTube - Can you spot autism?

:buddies:

devinej

Im not PC at all. Never have been, dont expect I ever will be.
Im just saying that maybe the poop leaves one unable to understand what they read.

shouldnt be long before the next pooper comes in .

waiting for another person to reply so you can respond before even trying to understand their point of view? it seems to me that you didn't read or understand my response.
perhaps you are unable to imagine what its like to be in another's shoes. stretch yourself. :love:

bcp

In My Opinion
waiting for another person to reply so you can respond before even trying to understand their point of view? it seems to me that you didn't read or understand my response.
perhaps you are unable to imagine what its like to be in another's shoes. stretch yourself. :love:
still having a problem with comprehension I see.

keep trying, get a tutor if needed.

FrmGrl

Get some!
still having a problem with comprehension I see.

keep trying, get a tutor if needed.
Devine has a quite an education, I dont think she needs a tutor. Your poll is fine, however I dont understand why you cant see how your words could be hurtful to someone like Sadie who has been fighting one hell of a battle for this same reason?? I have met her daughter. Super bright and not disruptive, yet people like you want to keep her out. Autism is on the rise, and maybe you will never have a child with it, but be careful, your child just might and lets see if your thinking changes then. My mom was a teacher for 30 years. Many kids with disabilities came through her door. She made sure that there were aids for those kids and you know what? Everyone did just fine. Now physically abusive children are different. Any child that poses a physical danger should be removed. But if we all were exposed to what we call "normal" every day what kind of people would we be? Is that how we want our kids to grow up??? JMO

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I dont understand why you cant see how your words could be hurtful to someone like Sadie who has been fighting one hell of a battle for this same reason??

Explain it, please, because I don't understand why BCP's words would be considered hurtful?

Status
Not open for further replies.