Speeding Solomons VFD Truck at PRAD

awpitt

Main Streeter
Secondly, I was sitting directly in front of the museum, closer to where you would make the left hand turn to head under the bridge or to the boat ramp. That firetruck was going so fast he practically took that left turn on two wheels!! All for a call that got cancelled within 5 minutes!!!

So now, fire fighters have to to predict the future? How were they to know that the call was going to be cancelled five minutes into the future? If they could know that, they could've just ignored the call in the first place and instead go somewhere to win a bunch of $$s playing Keno.

keepsmiling

Where i was sitting at was right near the crosswalk in front of the museum. The police officer posted in the middle of the road directing pedestrian and vehicle traffic was still allowing people to cross the roadway even though the road had been closed off the vehicle traffic. He had to yell at some people to get across the road quickly when the firetruck came fast approaching. Regardless of what anyone thinks, or how fast he was really going, there were entirely to many people there that day lining the roadway for the firetruck to be driving like he was.

The police officer posted in the middle of the road directing pedestrian and vehicle traffic was still allowing people to cross the roadway even though the road had been closed off the vehicle traffic. He had to yell at some people to get across the road quickly when the firetruck came fast approaching

This is perfect, a police officer witnessed what everyone is saying was basically wreckless driving, then let him handle it instead of all of this. Trust me he will without a doubt in my mind bring this to the right person's attention.

This just bothers me only because when is the last time you saw anyone on this forum come in here and praise the VOLUNTEERS for taking time away from their families, or being puked on, or facing an accident scene with people who are injured or have already passed away and let's not forget the houses they go into while completely on fire trying to save it and everything in it and all the other tragic calls they face everyday.

But amazingly folks can remember a truck that was speeding. And don't come back at me saying they choose to do this. You're damn right they do cuz that's the kind of people they are, and no I'm not a volunteer, I just respect everything they do for my community, without them we'd have noone.

awpitt

Main Streeter
This is perfect, a police officer witnessed what everyone is saying was basically wreckless driving, then let him handle it instead of all of this. Trust me he will without a doubt in my mind bring this to the right person's attention.

This just bothers me only because when is the last time you saw anyone on this forum come in here and praise the VOLUNTEERS for taking time away from their families, or being puked on, or facing an accident scene with people who are injured or have already passed away and let's not forget the houses they go into while completely on fire trying to save it and everything in it and all the other tragic calls they face everyday.

But amazingly folks can remember a truck that was speeding. And don't come back at me saying they choose to do this. You're damn right they do cuz that's the kind of people they are, and no I'm not a volunteer, I just respect everything they do for my community, without them we'd have noone.

:yay:

Not defending or admonishing them, not enough facts presented. I was not there and did not witness the incident. Agree with above that the best course of action is to call the Chief and express your concerns and let him investigate and take action as necessary.

All emergency vehicles are required to use due regard when responding to emergencies. This is a judgement call that would be up to the judge or jury if something bad happens. Now you also have to look at whether the call was a true emergency, this is important in determining the level of acceptable risk that could be taken while responding.

A few things to ponder from the above discussion.
Fire Trucks are big and make a lot of noise so perseption is that they are always flying even though they may not be.
They are also large and take a lot longer to stop than a normal vehicle, so pay attention and give them room.
No one has said what the nature of the emergency was so its possible the call may have been high priority.
What is an acceptable speed for response? If we are concerned that someone could walk in front of or pull in front of maybe all responses should be routine or only at 5, 10, 25 mph. There is always a risk of something or someone pulling or jumping in front of it.
Does a few seconds make a difference? Watch this and decide for yourself. NFPA FIRE GROWTH
Also keep in mind if someone is not breathing brain death starts to occur at 4 minutes, so yes the few seconds could be the difference in life or death.
These are all volunteers and many critical decisions must be made on each and every call, and the operator has to weigh all info and decide what risks they will take and not take on every call, no one is perfect and hopefully the right decision is made.

:clap:

The type of call also dictates the speed I am going to drive the apparatus at;

If it's a dumpster fire in an empty parking lot I am not going to push a Class A pumper to the max. 'Eff that dumpster and the contents...

If it's a subject not breathing or house fire with subjects trapped you can bet your ass I am going to bust my ass to get there.

It also depends where I am driving at as well will dictate my speed...

Bottom line, it all boils down to due regard, of course. :coffee:

gemma_rae

Do you run after the ice cream truck when he rolls past your house?

I bet you sit where the Dalmation should be and bark at all the people as you go by. images[8].jpg