Speeding Solomons VFD Truck at PRAD

onel0126

Bead mumbler
I will also not donate to some places because driving to Wendy's in the firetruck for lunch on my tax dollar is not appropriate. Or is speeding to Chilis with the lights and sirens on to get take out is considered an emergency? I highly doubt it.

Just an FYI--if you are in southern MD, it is not your tax dollars paying for these apparatus. Again, these firehouses are private organizations.

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
Just an FYI--if you are in southern MD, it is not your tax dollars paying for these apparatus. Again, these firehouses are private organizations.

We still get fire tax, so yes, some of your tax dollars come to us..

Mdbtyhtr

The fact of the matter is that lights and sirens actually impede your progress. I have driven emergency equipment for years, although not in the last few years, and it is amazing what you observe. The majority of the people when they finally realize that you are approaching them, hit the brakes! I believe there was a study circulating about 10 years ago from UNC Charlotte to this effect.

We were always trained to never trade a life for a life. If you don't get there, no good can come of the effort. Consider a patient already in distress in the back of a loud and bouncing ambulance, would a nice and easy priority 2 transport not get them there less stressed than they already are? Every driver should be back boarded and driven to the hospital as part of their training. When you experience the anxiety with no injuries, it provides an entirely different outlook on piloting an emergency vehicle.

G1G4

The fact of the matter is that lights and sirens actually impede your progress. I have driven emergency equipment for years, although not in the last few years, and it is amazing what you observe. The majority of the people when they finally realize that you are approaching them, hit the brakes! I believe there was a study circulating about 10 years ago from UNC Charlotte to this effect.

We were always trained to never trade a life for a life. If you don't get there, no good can come of the effort. Consider a patient already in distress in the back of a loud and bouncing ambulance, would a nice and easy priority 2 transport not get them there less stressed than they already are? Every driver should be back boarded and driven to the hospital as part of their training. When you experience the anxiety with no injuries, it provides an entirely different outlook on piloting an emergency vehicle.

:yay:

OldHillcrestGuy

I will also not donate to some places because driving to Wendy's in the firetruck for lunch on my tax dollar is not appropriate.

So you want them to drive their personal vehicles to get food, taking away a crew member at the firehouse to get the truck out quickly. When you see a firetruck out at a fast food place or resturant, I'll bet 99% it will have a crew on it, to respond if a call comes out while they are there.

TurboK9

I will also not donate to some places because driving to Wendy's in the firetruck for lunch on my tax dollar is not appropriate. Or is speeding to Chilis with the lights and sirens on to get take out is considered an emergency? I highly doubt it.

Your tax dollars aren't pating for their time, 12 hours a duty day, hundreds of calls a month, because they do it for free. So if they want to drive to Wendy's on your tax... wait... hmmmm yeah that's right. You should be buying them lunch.

Last edited:

keepsmiling

I hope the candidates running for Commissioners make it happen. Let's have paid firefighters and EMTs which would require a Union which means raise them taxes.:sarcasm:

Just saying

Your tax dollars aren't pating for their time, 12 hours a duty day, hundreds of calls a month, because they do it for free. So if they want to drive to Wendy's on your tax... wait... hmmmm yeah that's right. You should be buying them lunch.

It's their choice to volunteer! I do not owe them anything

awpitt

Main Streeter

Folks. This is an example of a very self-centered attitude.

Too bad the VFD/Rescue Squad can't find a way to put your address on the do not respond list. Then again, even if they did have a way, I doubt they would do it because that's not the type of folks they are.

Too bad the VFD/Rescue Squad can't find a way to put your address on the do not respond list. Then again, even if they did have a way, I doubt they would do it because that's not the type of folks they are.

Wow quite the contradiction....."Do not respond list"???? and then...oh wait they wouldn't have them. The folks they are?? That's a sterotype. There are plenty of volunteer firefighters/ems that aren't "good/perfect/godly" people like everyone makes them out to be. I was only judging what I saw last Sunday and it automatically becomes an invitation for people to condemn me for what I observed.

thurley42

HY;FR

:yay:

G1G4

Wow quite the contradiction....."Do not respond list"???? and then...oh wait they wouldn't have them. The folks they are?? That's a sterotype. There are plenty of volunteer firefighters/ems that aren't "good/perfect/godly" people like everyone makes them out to be. I was only judging what I saw last Sunday and it automatically becomes an invitation for people to condemn me for what I observed.

People are condemning you not for what you observed, but for the way you've acted after the fact. To say 'they volunteered, I don't owe them squat' is crap. When you have an accident somewhere down the line and you're about to pass out and you have that EMT come from nowhere to throw oxygen on you and start working to SAVE your ass, what will you owe them? Nothing again?

People are condemning you not for what you observed, but for the way you've acted after the fact. To say 'they volunteered, I don't owe them squat' is crap. When you have an accident somewhere down the line and you're about to pass out and you have that EMT come from nowhere to throw oxygen on you and start working to SAVE your ass, what will you owe them? Nothing again?

Why is it that in today's society "everybody owes everybody"?? GEEZE! That mentality is scary, I would hate to wake up every morning thinking that, hmm who do I owe today?

awpitt

Main Streeter
Why is it that in today's society "everybody owes everybody"?? GEEZE! That mentality is scary, I would hate to wake up every morning thinking that, hmm who do I owe today?

Folks! We have another example of a self-centered attitude.

There's nothing wronge with saying "thanks" ro feeling you owe someone. I have people do nice things or go out of their way for me all the time and I always try to find ways to repay their kindness. I see what these VFD/RS folks do and it's nothing short of amazing. The time and effort they devote to something beyond their own self interest is nothing to laugh at. I know families who have been involved in these organizations for multiple generations. I know some who go on calls during their "day job" and have to either make up the time or take leave. Then tto find people with attitudes like yours is unfortunate.

Folks! We have another example of a self-centered attitude.

There's nothing wronge with saying "thanks" ro feeling you owe someone. I have people do nice things or go out of their way for me all the time and I always try to find ways to repay their kindness. I see what these VFD/RS folks do and it's nothing short of amazing. The time and effort they devote to something beyond their own self interest is nothing to laugh at. I know families who have been involved in these organizations for multiple generations. I know some who go on calls during their "day job" and have to either make up the time or take leave. Then tto find people with attitudes like yours is unfortunate.

I'm soooo sorry. Please take this time to return to the land of "overblown egos". If you volunteer, THAT'S GREAT! You are providing a community service at the expense of your time, which I find no problem with. The vfd is a great organization, but similar to other organizations, you do have your bad apples. The vfd in such a high position in the somd area should also take special precautions to weed out said "bad apples" who are ruining their reputation! All companies/organizations strive to keep a good image, but with speeding/wreckless fire trucks, people are noticing!

awpitt

Main Streeter
I'm soooo sorry. Please take this time to return to the land of "overblown egos". If you volunteer, THAT'S GREAT! You are providing a community service at the expense of your time, which I find no problem with. The vfd is a great organization, but similar to other organizations, you do have your bad apples. The vfd in such a high position in the somd area should also take special precautions to weed out said "bad apples" who are ruining their reputation! All companies/organizations strive to keep a good image, but with speeding/wreckless fire trucks, people are noticing!

I'm not disputing that there are some bad apples within those organizations as is the case in pretty much all organizations.

The problem I'm haveing is your b*ll sh*t attitude you expressed earlier. That would be this one...

This attitude puts you at a level below the "bad apples" in the VFDs. At least they're giving their time and effort to the community.