Student Member on the Board of Education

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Personally, as an adult, I could care less that we have an SMOB. That kid is there purely for Public Relations. It "looks" good that we have a kid who is a "member" of the board. No doubt that he is a nice kid, and probably a good student. But, the position doesn't amount to a hill of beans. (Which is basically what you are stating.) SMOB is just an extra agenda item for the school board meeting. And as someone else put it, you don't let the inmates run the asylum anyway.

No apologies - it's all about public relations.

Now, with that said, let one of these kids grow up, work in the real world, and pay taxes. Then, put them on the ballot and let him run for the elected seat. I promise you this much, smcdem. If one of the SMOBs ever runs for the elected position, I will vote for them because they will have the experience and real-world understanding that they are lacking right now, to handle the position.

The system should produce aspiring politicians, not create seats for them.

smcdem

Most counties have an appointed board. I'm sure you all know until 96 ours was still appointed. The school board should not be a starting point for any politican. Personally I do like an elected school board, but the arguements aganist it are pretty valid. If we want our system to be the likes of MoCo we need to make changes. One of them is allowing the student voting rights. This county needs to be more progressive about public education.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Bluto, you're new here so maybe you didn't see the forum rules. One of them is we don't jump on, call people names and flame them. Behave or beat it.

B

Bruzilla

Originally posted by smcdem
The school system says that a SMOB isn't "smart" enough to vote. The same system that has been educated him/her since they were 5 and yet say they aren't smart? That sure tells you how THEY think about their own school system.

Once again... you're failing to notice that there is a difference between school smart and real-World smart.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Originally posted by smcdem
Most counties have an appointed board. I'm sure you all know until 96 ours was still appointed. The school board should not be a starting point for any politican. Personally I do like an elected school board, but the arguements aganist it are pretty valid. If we want our system to be the likes of MoCo we need to make changes. One of them is allowing the student voting rights. This county needs to be more progressive about public education.

As a taxpayer, I only care that the School Board has oversight of the system, and that the administrators are doing their job. If the school board members want input from students, that's fine. But, as a middle-school parent, I don't really care what the kids think about the system. If I perceive a problem, then I would respond accordingly. But, these kids should spend their time doing their homework, so they are prepared to make a difference in the real world.