Taco Bell coming to Charlotte Hall

fatratcat

No offense intended here, but Taco Bell is not what this "public wants." I live in the area, make good money, and don't want another fastfood restaurant, bank, funeral home, nail salon, car parts place, or flea market!!!

:killingme

Taco Bell is about as "Mexican" as the "Mexican" Restaurants, I would say the food quality is about on par, Taco Bell has a drive thru and there are no utensils or plates required.

But, while I would agree we don't exactly have diversity, it's what the public wants. Any business plan includes a survey of the potential market. You have to have a potential customer base that will support your business. More people are going to go to a "Chinese" buffet than PF Chang. It's why we got an Aldi's and not some upscale food store. Walmart and not Nordstrom. It's not like Annapolis, build it and they will come. You build anything in Southern Maryland and you are asking people to pass an existing outlet.

fatratcat

Exactly!!! I want SMARTER growth. Interesting that folks fearing Section 8 development are falling to an indisputable ghetto characteristic...a FOOD desert! Meaningful nutrition is damned when dining out on the north end of the county. It shows too! In the last 20+ years, people across the country have gotten profoundly fatter. In the northern end of the county it's almost epidemic. In fact, I can't let my kid play football, because he actually has classmates that are twice his weight. I'm talking about kindergarten kids pushing 70 pounds. Yes, there's more than few of them. It's a damn shame! I actually had to tie one his buddies shoes for him because he was so fat he couldn't reach. There's no way that's acceptable. We DO NOT need any more fastfood in the north end. When kindergartners weigh 70+ pounds, it's time to make crap food a little less accessible. You can argue the parental angle about "choice" all you want, but there is nothing sadder than a 6 year old that is so fat he has to make 2 trips when hauling ass! Food deserts are real AND they have consequences...diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, etc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_desert

What kills me is that all the NIMBY's in the north end get all up in arms when you say the words "public water and sewer" due to visions of "garden apartments" and "section 8 housing". Yet the very sprawl they claim to despise is creeping in and manifesting itself as dining options is greeted with open arms.

Last edited:

fatratcat

I'm suggesting that a place similar to Z-best Cafe would be very successful in CH. I think people forget all of the traffic that passes through there. Also, there is Charlotte Hall Veterans Home. That means a market for delivery, families visiting relatives, dorm residents (who can travel), and the staff that work at the facility. Add to it, several local schools, commuter lots, a healthcare facility, and a sizeable permanent residence, it's a good market in search of somebody that can cook!

Exactly, you know what really does business and has probably the worst food - the all you can eat buffets.
Not a big fan of chain restaurants either, but they do fill a spot (or at least should). They should be reliable in terms of the menu and quality. It's a known or should be.
When you are on the road and want to pull over for something to eat, the Ruby Apple Barrel should be a safe pick.

I'm suggesting that a place similar to Z-best Cafe would be very successful in CH. I think people forget all of the traffic that passes through there. Also, there is Charlotte Hall Veterans Home. That means a market for delivery, families visiting relatives, dorm residents (who can travel), and the staff that work at the facility. Add to it, several local schools, commuter lots, a healthcare facility, and a sizeable permanent residence, it's a good market in search of somebody that can cook!

Does anyone eat at home anymore? It's crazy to blame "fast food" for making you fat. Come on people!!!! Take out a business loan and open what you want.

fatratcat

Does anyone eat at home anymore? It's crazy to blame "fast food" for making you fat. Come on people!!!! Take out a business loan and open what you want.

I would love to but I'm busy having a successful career. BTW- no one eats at home anymore. According to the US Healthful Food Council, "...the average American adult buys a meal or snack from a restaurant 5.8 times a week, and more than 30 percent of children eat fast food on any given day." I'd also add, "In the past 35 years, obesity rates have doubled in adults and tripled in children." Interestingly, in CH, the number of fastfood restaurants grew from 1 McDonalds to a plethora of crappy choices in about the same time span. You're "love it or leave it" approach to this discussion leaves one thing out. I'm a citizen too. My civic sense compels me to advocate for healthier food for my community. What's your agenda and how does it help the community get better food?

http://ushfc.org/about/#fancy-form-delay

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I eat at home :howdy: I go out for dinner or lunch maybe twice or three times a week, depending on my social calendar.

I think of fat food as the ghettoization of a community. The reason they put Taco Bells in a 'hood is because lower income people want it, and it also draws other lower income types. So head up, Charlotte Hall - Section 8 is coming to your town.

We get fast food once a week, on average due to back to back to back scout meetings on Sunday. However, due to daughter #1 having an allergy, our fast food is limited to sub shops, chick-fil-a and taco bell. Anywhere else gives her a migraine. Since chick-fil-a is closed on Sunday, that limits us to subs or taco hell. Sometimes we manage to take a cooler and have cold cuts.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I eat at home :howdy: I go out for dinner or lunch maybe twice or three times a week, depending on my social calendar.

I think of fat food as the ghettoization of a community. The reason they put Taco Bells in a 'hood is because lower income people want it, and it also draws other lower income types. So head up, Charlotte Hall - Section 8 is coming to your town.

Mistake or on purpose? :lol:

belvak

Happy Camper
We eat at home most of the time too, so when we do go out to eat and want to stay close to home, it would really be nice to have something in the North end of the county to eat at that is NOT fast food. Years ago, St. Mary's Landing was good. Not now.

Just wondering Fatracat......do you know what your Cholesterol level is? Another reason why insurance costs are so high is paying for people who make bad choices about what they stuff their faces with.

We eat at home most of the time too, so when we do go out to eat and want to stay close to home, it would really be nice to have something in the North end of the county to eat at that is NOT fast food. Years ago, St. Mary's Landing was good. Not now.

:yeahthat: Other than Bert's (bleh, but better than St. Mary's Landing, on par with fast food), Mexican and seafood, no sit down places in northern St. Mary's.

belvak

Happy Camper
:yeahthat: Other than Bert's (bleh, but better than St. Mary's Landing, on par with fast food), Mexican and seafood, no sit down places in northern St. Mary's.

Went to Bert's about a month ago and it was awful! Food was either microwaved or baked. Tasted like cardboard. Won't be back there again. I would absolutely love to have a good all-around diner in the area. Somewhere you could get breakfast and/or dinner at any time of day. And, NOT a chain diner.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Went to Bert's about a month ago and it was awful! Food was either microwaved or baked. Tasted like cardboard. Won't be back there again. I would absolutely love to have a good all-around diner in the area. Somewhere you could get breakfast and/or dinner at any time of day. And, NOT a chain diner.

Bert's used to have really delicious burgers. Wonder what happened?

We should go to Zee Best, which just opened up not too long ago in Mechville.

https://www.facebook.com/zeebestcafe

Bert's used to have really delicious burgers. Wonder what happened?

We should go to Zee Best, which just opened up not too long ago in Mechville.

https://www.facebook.com/zeebestcafe

We ate at Bert's after youngest son's Confirmation 2 weeks ago. I had a bacon cheese burger and fries. Burger was from a box, better than the 1/4 lb grease bombs, but not as good as a Bubba Burger. Fries were from a box. Eldest boy had a meatball sub. Meatballs were from a bag. Sauce looked like Prego.

May have to give Zee Best a try. Lemme go look at their hours...