Tell me it is not true..

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
As many times as I have observed Yogi in his travels, I have never seen him "walking in the road, swaying drunk. I've never smelled liquor/beer on him when I've talked to him on several different occasions either...but people are people and they will talk, that, unfortunately, is St. Marys Co for ya.

Makes you wonder how he got hit...

annemayer

I just saw him last week riding down Merval Dean Rd, maybe it was a ghost?

HIs name was Eddie Blackistone. He was a sweet person,who had a hard lot in life. And yes,he did drown at PL.

About this elderly gentleman-one thing that needs to be said is that 1. I have NEVER seen him drunk,swaying in the road,or anywhere near the flow of traffic,same as everyone else on here. 2.If he was drinking,thats none of our business-he earned that right. and 3.I would speculate that this trooper was most likely speeding as most all of them do,and his tracks are covered,so we'll never know the truth. Had it been one of us,we would be up for vehicular manslaughter. It is always possible at his age he was having a medical emergency that caused him to have deviated into the road,and if doing the speed limit the person who hit him may have been able to stop. But fortunately for them they have the law on their side. Its a shame for the victim and that is exactly what he is in this situation. I promise you if someone were in the middle of the road raving mad,and I ran them over,I would be jail right now.

annemayer

A person doesn't have to be in the "road" to get hit. We don't know the story and who knows if we will. Either way Yogi deserves the benefit of the doubt and let him rest in peace...

I took the comment to mean wonder why and how the driver hit him,not as a dig on Yogi.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Whenever I would see him he would be on the "side" of the road.... Unless he's crossing he never walked in the road all the years I've seen him... I really hope he wasn't hit while walking on the side of the road..

RIP Yogi:buddies:

Daughter and I looked at each other last night and said he is never in the road..neither her nor I in all our years seeing him ever saw him do anything dangerous to himself...Still so sad..RIP Yogi...

deino2002

~LEGS FOR DAYS~
Makes you wonder how he got hit...

No matter how it happened, he was a man who fought for our country in 2 different wars. He lived a hard life but was the type of person that wouldn't hurt a fly. And no matter how or why it happened, he nor anyone else deserves to die this way. He was just carrying on his normal daily routine like we all do. May he Rest in Peace.

I know his obit says that services are private, but I am wondering with the fact that so many of us want to contribute to his service, that we can do something more for him then just putting him in the ground/cremating him.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
HIs name was Eddie Blackistone. He was a sweet person,who had a hard lot in life. And yes,he did drown at PL.

About this elderly gentleman-one thing that needs to be said is that 1. I have NEVER seen him drunk,swaying in the road,or anywhere near the flow of traffic,same as everyone else on here. 2.If he was drinking,thats none of our business-he earned that right. and 3.I would speculate that this trooper was most likely speeding as most all of them do,and his tracks are covered,so we'll never know the truth. Had it been one of us,we would be up for vehicular manslaughter. It is always possible at his age he was having a medical emergency that caused him to have deviated into the road,and if doing the speed limit the person who hit him may have been able to stop. But fortunately for them they have the law on their side. Its a shame for the victim and that is exactly what he is in this situation. I promise you if someone were in the middle of the road raving mad,and I ran them over,I would be jail right now.

I disagree with that. I have only seen them speeding when they have their lights activated. They heavily patrol Mervell Dean Road for speeders, often running radar in that area.

annemayer

I disagree with that. I have only seen them speeding when they have their lights activated. They heavily patrol Mervell Dean Road for speeders, often running radar in that area.

If you really believe that,then you are blessed to live in that version of reality.

annemayer

Why so snotty about my opinion?

I wasn't trying to be snotty - I was being completely serious. I think people who believe the police are the good guys and that they follow the rules they enforce are in a fantasy world. I'd bet anything that the person who hit him was 100% in the wrong,and that even if all the evidence supported it,they would not face a consequence. I'll put it this way - when someone abuses a child or kills one,they are caught,eventually,they go to jail for awhile,they get bailed out. Then they get their trial,and get a little time. When someone so much as punches a cop,let alone kills one,they are balls out looking and the person winds up "committing suicide" or dies of "natural causes" in custody. It's a fact. You are better off killing an entire elementary school than a cop. I'm not going to debate with anyone on this,it's off topic,and a disrespect to the real reason this thread was made. I've said what I think,and nothing changes that. I hope Yogi is in a good place now and he deserves a huge amount of respect.

nomoney

I wasn't trying to be snotty - I was being completely serious. I think people who believe the police are the good guys and that they follow the rules they enforce are in a fantasy world. I'd bet anything that the person who hit him was 100% in the wrong,and that even if all the evidence supported it,they would not face a consequence. I'll put it this way - when someone abuses a child or kills one,they are caught,eventually,they go to jail for awhile,they get bailed out. Then they get their trial,and get a little time. When someone so much as punches a cop,let alone kills one,they are balls out looking and the person winds up "committing suicide" or dies of "natural causes" in custody. It's a fact. You are better off killing an entire elementary school than a cop. I'm not going to debate with anyone on this,it's off topic,and a disrespect to the real reason this thread was made. I've said what I think,and nothing changes that. I hope Yogi is in a good place now and he deserves a huge amount of respect.

I think it it was a joe smith that hit him you wouldn't have so much animosity. Someone already stated they had seen him early in the evening and he was wearing all black pretty much. If he was on the side of the road there's a possiblity that no one is at fault. #### happens

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out

I would say the speed limit on that road is somewhere around 35-40 mph.. and right there should have a little more light than other places because its next to a bank, right across the st is an elderly center with ALL lights on and has street lights... oh and not to mention it was a full moon last night

I was thinking about this on the way to work this AM... and even on a dark RD.. with just headlights... I could see a great deal in front of me :shrug:

and thats is a straight part of rd right there also

millertc

I would see him almost everyday on my way home from work. He would always be on the shoulder. Everytime I would see him I would wonder about his story. I am sad to learn of it in this way. I always thought that I should stop and talk to him when I would see him at Burchmart. RIP Yogi.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I wasn't trying to be snotty - I was being completely serious. I think people who believe the police are the good guys and that they follow the rules they enforce are in a fantasy world.

Questioning my perception of reality and speculating that I live in a fantasy world isn't being snotty? Got it. :yay:

Where did I state that I thought all cops are good guys? I referenced Mervell Dean Road and that general area only, nothing more.

TurboK9

Yeah. There are no 'good' cops. Yeah.

Wish someone had told me that when I was doing the job... would have been easier had I stopped prending to be there to help people. Yeah.

:lmao:

There are bad cops, no doubt... but there ARE good ones, and a lot of them, who do it for the right reasons.

deino2002

~LEGS FOR DAYS~
I would say the speed limit on that road is somewhere around 35-40 mph.. and right there should have a little more light than other places because its next to a bank, right across the st is an elderly center with ALL lights on and has street lights... oh and not to mention it was a full moon last night

I was thinking about this on the way to work this AM... and even on a dark RD.. with just headlights... I could see a great deal in front of me :shrug:

and thats is a straight part of rd right there also

:yeahthat:

I was thinking the same thing, officer or not, you still wonder what the circumstances were that caused him to hit Yogi. Was he talking/texting on a cell phone? Looking over to change a radio station, or just plain not paying attention. It's hard to say, and unless we witnessed it we can only go by what the official police/press release states.

Last edited:

deino2002

~LEGS FOR DAYS~
Just spoke with a lady @ Mattinglys and she stated that Yogi had previously made arrangements and he chose for them to be private. She also stated she has received several phone calls on his behalf. Due to privacy, she could only give that bit of info. She stated she knew him for 20+ yrs, so I asked her if he had mentioned any organizations that he would like ppl to contribute to on his behalf, but none were mentioned.