Tesla

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Ford F-150 Lightning pre-orders hit 100K
The full-size, all-electric pickup truck starts at $39,974 and comes with standard all-wheel drive and a range of 230 miles per charge

glhs837

Power with Control
The full-size, all-electric pickup truck starts at $39,974 and comes with standard all-wheel drive and a range of 230 miles per charge

The issue is, and this might not matter if you are #blueovalfortlyfeyo, is that the only thing it brings that the CT of the same price doesn't is AWD. Payload, towing and range are all better with the steel truck. Oh, and on the fly adjustable air suspension that self adjusts for payload and towed items. And a computer system also calculates weight and drag, and applies that to range. If you use the nav, it will even correct for altitude changes on your trip. Heading up to the Blue Ridge parkway, it would subtract range since you would be going uphill, and add when you come back down. Also dynamically adjusts suspension and braking according to loads.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
All that is nice, but I'm still a 'drive by the seat of my pants' driver. One of the reasons I like the Slingshot, it's a frame with a motor and some plastic shell. Speedo and gas gauge is all I need.

Used to be if you had a truck, you had some knowledge of mechanics, of driving, when and how to manually engage the locking hubs, carried 'survival' hardware in the back. Now it's just turn the key and drive, and the truck figures it all out. Used to carry bottled water. Anyone is now a 'truck driver'.

That all said..... I'm looking forward to owning an all-electric truck when the time is right. All the bells and whistles just happen to come with it.

glhs837

Power with Control
All that is nice, but I'm still a 'drive by the seat of my pants' driver. One of the reasons I like the Slingshot, it's a frame with a motor and some plastic shell. Speedo and gas gauge is all I need.

Used to be if you had a truck, you had some knowledge of mechanics, of driving, when and how to manually engage the locking hubs, carried 'survival' hardware in the back. Now it's just turn the key and drive, and the truck figures it all out. Used to carry bottled water. Anyone is now a 'truck driver'.

That all said..... I'm looking forward to owning an all-electric truck when the time is right. All the bells and whistles just happen to come with it.

Thats why I'm keeping at least one of the late 90s BMW 3 series convertibles around, all analog, manual trans. Very much seat of the pants. But vehicles the wifes drives, safety systems everywhere. Not that she's unsafe, but her training for SHTF moments isnt awesome.

glhs837

Power with Control
If I was gonna keep something for SHTF it would be something pre-1974.

I mean traffic SHTF. Those aw crap moments when you lock panic down and keep driving til theres no crash after all or all motion has ceased, or just jam down on the brake, lock your arms straight ahead and wait for the crash to be over.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
For that... Early 70s cadillac fleetwood.

It'll plow through everything short of a dumptruck.

Grumpy

Or this....Saw one last weekend, I had forgotten how huge they were

glhs837

Power with Control

Well, of course it will, you have no choice since steering was like using a rudder and braking was notional :) But, its not really a good choice upon impact. Crumple zones nor airbags not a thing. There's a reason traffic deaths have continually declined and it isnt that people drive better :)

PeoplesElbow

That range is severely understated also, they list the range assuming you are towing.

PeoplesElbow

I had read that that range was with a 1,000lb payload, not towing, but I cant find anything definitive showing that.
That may have been what I read payload. It was some reviewer getting 400mi from the 300 mi model or something like that.

AnthonyJames

R.I.P. My Brother Rick
Or this....Saw one last weekend, I had forgotten how huge they were
View attachment 157503
In the first half of 1979 I was 18 years old and worked in a gas station, I drove a 1975 Pontiac Catalina. One of the regular customers came in driving a brand new Lincoln Mach VI and remarked about how long it was. With his permission of course, I pulled my Catalina along side his Mach VI and the Catalina was a foot longer. With the bench seat in the front I could fit eight people in it easily.:lol:

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I had a Pontiac Catalina. Huge motor 4BBL 4-speed automatic. I called it a boat, because if you quickly rocked the steering wheel side to side, the car would rock side-to-side without veering from it's forward track. Felt just like a boat in choppy water.