That's it. I'm moving to Colorado

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
vraiblonde said:
I agree. BUT many times I'll switch to the left lane when I'm approaching an on-ramp so the cars trying to get on the highway can access easier. If there is a series on on-ramps, I'll stay in the left lane until I'm past them. Since I typically drive the speed limit (maybe 5 miles over), the speed demons behind me get irritated and make rude gestures. I have to restrain myself from slowing down.

Just to put it all in perspective:

If you have a 20 mile drive and the speed limit is 60, it will take you 20 minutes to get there if you consistently drive the speed limit. If you drop down to 40mph, it will take you 30 minutes to reach your destination. Now, 10 minutes might mean a lot to some people but, to me, it's hardly worth getting upset about.
AMEN, SISTAH!!!!

somdcrab

vraiblonde said:
Let's explore this. Why does someone driving slow in the hammer lane upset you so much and ruin your day?
good question Dr vrai :confused:

think they have underlying issues?????? let me get the DSM manuals out

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Railroad said:
Really? Mind telling that to all the folks using 235 between the base and Rte 4? All lanes are used full-time as rights of way. The only passing lanes I know of are the far right lane, and any lane with an opening big enough to accommodate passing. North or south of the area I'm referring to, the passing lane is apparently the shoulder.

You may want to consider reading the thread I linked to in the second post of this thread. I think we all pretty much agree with the original articles that this isn't always possible, especially during rush hour in congested area's.

And I wasn't talking about passing on the shoulder. :rolleyes:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
vraiblonde said:
Let's explore this. Why does someone driving slow in the hammer lane upset you so much and ruin your day?

I'll answer that. I have a car that I like to drive. Please move out of my way so I can at least appreciate my car at the posted speed limit.

Mikeinsmd

vraiblonde said:
I honestly do not know. I do know I am fine until I approach someone on a Sunday drive in the fast lane. Happened to me yesterday matter of fact. Man was doing a full 10mph below the posted. I was on a 2 lane road and had to wait for passing lines to pass but until I could, I did a slow burn. When I came around him, I about spun his slowazz around.

And no I do not have any issues. It just irritates me and that's all.

Toxick

Splat
vraiblonde said:

Same reason people gabbing away on the cell-phone instead of paying attetion upsets me.

Same reason that people who drive too fast upset me.

Same reason that people who ignore all the ">>>" signs and drive all the way up to the merge-point before forcing their way into congestion upset me.

Lack of common courtesy and blatent display of ignorance.

Honestly, does it matter why this behavior upsets people? The simple fact of the matter is that it DOES upset people. And therefore exascerbates tension and makes the roads that much more dangerous.

The police are there to nab me if I'm driving too fast. It's not Joe Slow's job, nor his prerogotive to monitor my speed. If someone's blocking traffic - for whatever reason - it pisses me off.

I hope Colorado sets a national trend with this.

Mikeinsmd

Toxick said:
Same reason people gabbing away on the cell-phone instead of paying attetion upsets me.
Same reason that people who drive too fast upset me.
Same reason that people who ignore all the ">>>" signs and drive all the way up to the merge-point before forcing their way into congestion upset me.
Honestly, does it matter why this behavior upsets people? The simple fact of the matter is that it DOES upset people. And therefore exascerbates tension and makes the roads that much more dangerous.
The police are there to nab me if I'm driving too fast. It's not Joe Slow's job, nor his prerogotive to monitor my speed. If someone's blocking traffic - for whatever reason - it pisses me off.
I hope Colorado sets a national trend with this.
Well put!! :clap: :banana: :yay: :high5:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
elaine said:
I'll answer that. I have a car that I like to drive. Please move out of my way so I can at least appreciate my car at the posted speed limit.
I was out with Mrs. Railroad all day today, appreciating our car at the posted speed limit +5 mph (typically 60). People wanting to do 65 mph+ passed me on the right, on the left, and anyplace else that looked good at the time. People that came screaming up on our bumper didn't give me time to get out of their way - they usually don't. So I ignore things behind the car anymore - toting a wheelchair that blocks most of the back window helps. I can't tell how close people are back there, and that's fine, because if I have to stop suddenly, they'll have an opportunity to hone their reaction time. :lmao:

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
Toxick said:
Toxic is a very appropriate name if you enjoy exceeding the speed limit and don't like it when fellow drivers tell you they don't like your speeding. Exceeding the posted limit causes accidents and nobody wants to be your next victim.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Toxick said:
But the other scenarios you described are a safety hazard that can cause an accident. Someone driving 55 in a 65 isn't dangerous. The only accident that can be caused by that is when Mikeinsmd whips past him and spins him out.

I've shared the road with people who got pissed because I didn't run over a pedestrian, people who shudder at the thought of stopping for a red light, people who think their rightful place in traffic is in front of everyone else, people who can't stand the thought of someone else beating them off the light, people who think their missed exit is your problem - why aren't THOSE people being ticketed and fined? Why go after the guy who's simply going a little slower than the rest of the cars?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Railroad said:
Toxic is a very appropriate name if you enjoy exceeding the speed limit and don't like it when fellow drivers tell you they don't like your speeding. Exceeding the posted limit causes accidents and nobody wants to be your next victim.

Wait a minute, you just said you were exceeding the speed limit today. Isn't that a double standard? Okay for you, but not anyone else?

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
elaine said:
Wait a minute, you just said you were exceeding the speed limit today. Isn't that a double standard? Okay for you, but not anyone else?
You know what I meant.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
elaine said:
What he's saying is that he was going 5 over and cars were STILL zooming past him and bent because he was going "too slow".

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Railroad said:
You know what I meant.

No, I don't. Why is it okay to exceed the speed limit by 5 miles per hour than it is to exceed the speed limit by 6 or 7 mph? Do you make the rules on how much the speed limit can be exceeded by? If so, please let me know so I'll know how fast I'm really allowed to go.

Mikeinsmd

vraiblonde said:
Someone driving 55 in a 65 isn't dangerous. The only accident that can be caused by that is when Mikeinsmd whips past him and spins him out.
If he'd do the speed limit, I wouldn't have to pass him and there'd be no accident. And if there were, it would be HIS fault (under the new laws) because I was the law abiding driver. :diva:

Toxick

Splat
Railroad said:
Toxic is a very appropriate name if you enjoy exceeding the speed limit and don't like it when fellow drivers tell you they don't like your speeding.

Please quote me from the post where I mentioned that I enjoy exceeding the speed limit.

Go ahead - I'll wait.

Railroad said:
Exceeding the posted limit causes accidents and nobody wants to be your next victim.

Please then, justify this:

I was out with Mrs. Railroad all day today, appreciating our car at the posted speed limit +5 mph (typically 60).

mAlice

professional daydreamer
vraiblonde said:
What he's saying is that he was going 5 over and cars were STILL zooming past him and bent because he was going "too slow".

And he also said they were passing him on the right. :rolleyes: And I understood his statement to mean he was out enjoying a nice ride in his car.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
elaine said:
If so, please let me know so I'll know how fast I'm really allowed to go.
Typically there are signs on the road that tell you how fast you're allowed to go. :yay: