the power

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Didn't break a "law", just being a total prickly bustard and a total azz and a fick-tard, only just short of being deserving a .38 in the head. A absoloute opportunist. Scum of the earth. Hope he gets lice. Hope he DIES from lice and tick nfestation.

:lmao:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I was in Lowes, when the gennys showed up. I was there for a different reason, I did not need a generator. It was NUTS. One guy bought one and then sold it in the parking lot, for a hefty profit I am sure. What a sleaze ball. Made the buyer (who I don't blame a BIT) go get cash from an ATM. Lowes called the cops but it was done and done before they showed up.

Talked to a manager (I did not need one) and they have sold over 1000 generators! They are shipping them in as fast as they can get their hands on them.

Why were the cops called?

If my power was out, and I bought a generator for say $2500 and on my way out somebody with more money also had power out and offered me $3500 for it I'd have to stop and think if it was worth $1000 to go without power.

I'd probably take the money and run.. Absolutely no reason to call the cops in on a legal PERSONAL transaction.

Hell, I DID buy a generator yesterday, and I would without a second thought sell it right now for an extra $1000, I'd even go as low as a few hundred extra...

Last edited:

ylexot

Super Genius
Why were the cops called?

If my power was out, and I bought a generator for say $2500 and on my way out somebody with more money also had power out and offered me $3500 for it I'd have to stop and think if it was worth $1000 to go without power.

I'd probably take the money and run.. Absolutely no reason to call the cops in on a legal PERSONAL transaction.

Along these lines, Stossel had a show about "defending the indefensible" and one of the topics was price gouging. Basically, the guest was saying that by raising the price on needed items, it gave incentive for people (not just companies) outside the disaster zone to load up supplies and bring them to where they will sell. Thus, there would be more availability of needed supplies and the increased availability would prevent people from charging completely outrageous prices (it would be somewhat self-regulating). But you do have to allow the prices to come up in order to make it worth the effort.

ginwoman

I think we'll wait till this current generator hoop-la has calmed down and then we'll go buy another one. We have two.....we use one for us and take one to my mothers and we have a friend who is a quadriplegic and we could use that one for him. He can't afford one because he doesn't have a pot to piss in. I dunno, we'll see. We recently bought a NICE ONE for my mother and some scum of the earth came and stole it. Now we have to chain the one we took over there for her to us.

E

EmptyTimCup

:yeahthat: and absolutely no one has any for sale, we searched all over SoMD.

we were standing in Line @ TSC in White Plains (below 'dorf) with a Navy Guy, that lives in the Ranch Club, sat afternoon who drove all that way just to get one of the 45 generators coming in that afternoon

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Good, hard working union brothers and sisters at IBEW Local 1718/SMECO!

You're suggesting if they weren't Union they wouldn't work as hard, or be as dedicated?

Because I'd have to throw the :bs: flag on that one.

I'll give Kudos to them for their hard work, and thank them for restoring power, but I think that has more to do with them personally.

I would HOPE that SMECO was allowed and did bring in anyone qualified to do the work and wasn't limited to ONLY bringing in Union workers during the time of emergency.

Be sad to find out that there were two or three times the number of workers available to get our power back on, but SMECO wasn't allowed to use them because they weren't Union.

Be an interesting backstory to research.. Imagine if you were without power for three weeks, then found out SMECO was limited as to who they could hire, and how many they could hire because of the local Union..

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
You're suggesting if they weren't Union they wouldn't work as hard, or be as dedicated?

I'll give Kudos to them for their hard work, and thank them for restoring power, but I think that has more to do with them personally.

I would HOPE that SMECO was allowed and did bring in anyone qualified to do the work and wasn't limited to ONLY bringing in Union workers during the time of emergency.

Be sad to find out that there were two or three times the number of workers available to get our power back on, but SMECO wasn't allowed to use them because they weren't Union.

Be an interesting backstory to research.. Imagine if you were without power for three weeks, then found out SMECO was limited as to who they could hire, and how many they could hire because of the local Union..

PIKE does the lions share of SMECO's emergency work..with about twice as many crews as SMECO has on the job as we speak. I honestly don't know if PIKE is a union shop or not. We took good care of the PIKE guys after Isabel..I know that. Most of em working on the island back then were from Alabama, as it turned out.

ylexot

Super Genius
PIKE does the lions share of SMECO's emergency work..with about twice as many crews as SMECO has on the job as we speak. I honestly don't know if PIKE is a union shop or not. We took good care of the PIKE guys after Isabel..I know that. Most of em working on the island back then were from Alabama, as it turned out.

From what I can find, they are not union.

Pete

Repete
I wish I had power. I want to take a shower and clean up the house but mostly so the neighbor can shut off the generator that has been wailng non stop in his front yard.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I wish I had power. I want to take a shower and clean up the house but mostly so the neighbor can shut off the generator that has been wailng non stop in his front yard.

Psh, my neighbor's generator was music to my ears. Emergency plug in for me!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

I have power & hot water if you need to take a shower.

My neighbors have been good, usually shut down by 10:30pm. But someone fired it up at 3am 2 nights ago... :mad:

SMECO

SMECO’s linemen are IBEW, and they are very dedicated and hard-working employees. However, we have crews from other electric cooperatives and other contracting crews who are not members of the union. We also have SMECO management personnel who are helping us to assess the damage and guide our outside crews in the field who are non-union. Both union and non-union are indistinguishable — they all performing 16–18-hour shifts, working side by side as hard as they can to restore power to all of Southern Maryland. We are all working as one team to get the lights back on for our customer-members.