The winner of the "Your name must be Richard, cause ....

BernieP

Resident PIA
1. I understand this and it furthers my disdain for this State.
2. This is true as well. However, common sense and consideration would usually dictate that you move out of they way as opposed to holding up traffic that wishes to travel at a higher rate of speed than you.

If you can't be considerate of that, I am not sympathetic your positions in #1 and #2 and will usually demonstrate my annoyance via other unsafe driving acts and hand signals.

In all seriousness, people simply need to move over if someone is behind them wishing to go faster. Why hold up traffic flow? Let them (me) mosey on by and fly right into the waiting speed trap. I will (not) learn my lesson.
again, I am sympathetic, but what you will find out is that the law is not on your side.
Further, based on the behaviour of a fair number of drivers, I would say this state has an excessive number of constipated grumps who have nothing better to do than be vigilantes for the rules of the road.
It's their sworn duty to make driving as miserable an experience as they can.

Im_Me

Well by your own account he went from 59 to 70 (not that drastic) not 50 to 70 (kind of drastic).
Or might there be some embellishment going on here to make it a better story?

OK 59 to 70 We do want to run a very accurate forum here

You didn't think he was going to let some girl pass him, did you?

Well. Yes.

P.s. to the other poster, I didn't pass him earlier because there was intermittent traffic on the right lane that didn't allow me to pass. Then when I could pass him he sped up. I really could have lived with him going slow...that's normal enough on rt 4. I just think he was wrong to speed up when passed. he had open road in front of him for plenty of time before I tried to pass.

Im_Me

Yeah, I know. If I'm not overtaking the car to my right, I am not in the left lane. I usually drive in the right center lane on the beltway at 60-65 MPH. Fast enough to overtake the right lane and not hold up the cars behind me, yet not fast enough to run over the cars in front of me.

Today, it's 55 in the left lane in honor of Im_Me.

Thanks. have fun.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I'm calling you DICK" prize for the day goes to:.... the guy in the black Heavy Duty Ford truck with the orange buckets in the back, who was driving in the left lane for several miles on Rt 4 this morning doing 59 MPH. Our winner continued at that speed right up until I tried to pass him on the right; at which time he suddenly figured out how to work the accelerator peddle and sped up to 70 MPH, trapping me in the right lane behind someone (legitimately) going slow.

Have a nice day Azzhat! :smack:
You need a faster car.. one that can accelerate faster than #######s like him can.. bikes are great for this..

Im_Me

You need a faster car.. one that can accelerate faster than #######s like him can.. bikes are great for this..

I would like me a muscle car. I would look good in a muscle car. I would hurt myself driving a motorcycle. I fall down walking.

I really don't drive all that fast. I just want to go the speed I want to go. Also, I believe in the sanctity of the "rules of the road". Don't hold me up in the left lane and don't tailgate me in the right lane.

Simple as that.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I would like me a muscle car. I would look good in a muscle car. I would hurt myself driving a motorcycle. I fall down walking.

I really don't drive all that fast. I just want to go the speed I want to go. Also, I believe in the sanctity of the "rules of the road". Don't hold me up in the left lane and don't tailgate me in the right lane.

Simple as that.

Cars are pointless because, regardless of speed or acceleration, there's no room. Bikes, there is room.

BOP

in most civilized states this is the law, however you will soon be told 2 things by the road nazis
1. there is no stay right except to pass law in Maryland
2. the speed limit is the same in the left lane as it is the right.

Not that I am not sympathetic to your point or the OP. More to the OP's point, there are people, regardless of the lane they are in, who just don't like being passed.
I've had the cruise control set, found myself closing on a car in the right lane, put the blinker on and moved left. Then for some reason I find I am no longer closing, but merely pacing as the driver in the right lane has decided to accelerate. Since I don't want to tailgate NOR do I want to be part of a rolling block, I accelerate to complete the pass only to have the driver again match my speed.

You're not doing it correctly. You're supposed to speed up, cut in front of them without using your turn signals, then lock up your brakes and come to a dead stop on the road way. It's better if you do it in a pickup or a larger, heavy car.

BernieP

Resident PIA
You're not doing it correctly. You're supposed to speed up, cut in front of them without using your turn signals, then lock up your brakes and come to a dead stop on the road way. It's better if you do it in a pickup or a larger, heavy car.

LOL I hear you. Never ride with your cruise control set. It will drive you crazy or should I say the other drivers will drive you crazy. In addition to the "no passing me" drivers there are the "I'm asleep at the wheel drivers". The scenario starts the same way, you overtake, excute the lane change and pass. Only this time they are now falling off the view in your rear view mirror. Minutes later that same vehicle comes flying past you. Deja vu all over agian, next thing you know they are six inches off your front bumper as they have cut back in and slowed down..
And people wonder why when I pass I want to go as fast as I can for as long as I can to escape the lunacy.

Rain yesterday screwed up traffic. I was finally able to get to 55 after Ritchie Marlboro Rd.

Today = no rain = it's on. 55 in the left lane for Im_Me.

PeoplesElbow

Couple all of the stoplights, left turns and the fact that people do not maintain a safe following distance so it is pretty hard to safely change lanes without cutting someone off you get more left lane loiterers.

Dead Eye

T.P.F.er
I drive about a thousand mile a month, 300 mile one way trip every two weeks so I see this stuff all the time. For the most part its a lesser form of road rage and should be prosecuted accordingly.

Here is a prime axample of two drivers making the roads unsafe.

Driver A is doing 59 in a 55 zone and staying in the left lane (after all he IS speeding and not wanting to impede the slower right lane). This in itself is a safe enough practice. Now driver B comes along also in the left lane and wants to go 70 but is held back by driver A doing 59. Driver B is now TAILGATING Driver A. Two things SHOULD happen at this point but don't, A should notice B tailgating and let the impatient fool have the lane as this is the safest thing to do after all B tailgating could cause you to be in a accident, heck just signal and merge left letting the fool go on up the road. Thing two that should have happened is that B should back off the tailgate and realize A won't change lane and merge left to pass or just be patent as after all you are ALREADY speeding.
But no it didn't go down that way instead A gets pissed off that B is Tailgating him and he is Already speeding and will be damned if he going to move over for him. B might even flash his lights at A as he too gets rage up.
Now things can get scary as B try's to pass A when both are in a state of rage and not rationalising properly. A great many things can and do happen such as punching the accelerator or locking up the brakes.

Both could and should have avoided this.

acommondisaster

I think I may have said this before - I drive pretty fast and use the left lane a lot - and I do try to get over for faster vehicles, when there is one. But if a large pickup or SUV comes up on me fast and tailgates while I can't move to the right, then I can't see around them in my Miata if they're too close, to see if it's safe to get into the slower lane. One of a couple of things is going to happen. They're going to get mighty pissed off (and so am I), or I'm going to ease off the gas slowly so that they finally pass me on the right, or they're going to pass me on the shoulder (yeah, that's happened a few times). I don't feel entitled to the left lane and I know I'm never going to win an argument with a big vehicle, but if a large vehicle won't back off, then they're stuck behind me.

mamatutu

mama to two
Even though I get pissed off at drivers and their shenanigans, I stay away from tailgaters, speeders, racers, weavers, pacers, road hogs, etc. When they start making it a contest, I just hang back and give them room. If they have a death wish, they are not taking them with me. I am not in that much of a hurry. If I'm late, I'm late. I usually see them at the next light anyway, and wave a friendly hello, and smile. :smile: :howdy:

Last edited:

BernieP

Resident PIA
new nominee - Southbound Rt 235. They cut to the right lane at Wildewood Blvd before they were thru the interesction; when they caught up to traffic in the right most lane, they used the turn lane. They continued to weave in an out, using the right lane and turn lane to pass. White Chevy Traverse with a Stoolers license plate bracket -

Im_Me

New week/ New nominee

This week's prime example of poor driving is the maroon explorer that pulled on the right shoulder to turn right, and then sped up enough to overtake me driving the speed limit in the right lane.

Hope you used those milliseconds you saved wisely!

Rt235

FYI: In Maryland the right lane is a traveling lane, left land, a passing lane, not a "dick" lane. either go with the flow or pull over and let the car behind you pass. Simple!

glhs837

Power with Control
FYI: In Maryland the right lane is a traveling lane, left land, a passing lane, not a "dick" lane. either go with the flow or pull over and let the car behind you pass. Simple!

I think you are dconfusing custom with law. Sadly, there is no law in MD that requires azzho.... I mean slower drivers in the left lane, to show some freakin courtesy.

Im_Me

I agree it's simple. Makes you wonder why so many people find such creative ways to screw it up!!!

Passing traffic on the shoulder, just so you can turn a millisecond sooner is a classic!