These kids are in for a rude awakening...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
First... I'm not going to banter with you over westward expansions impact on the natives. I believe they were treated abysmally when not being slaughtered, but it's done, History, gone, can't be changed, not my doing and any other caveat I failed to put in this sentence.

That said, the hardiness of those living in those times FAR surpasses any living today, OURSELVES included. Its the nature of our society... As we improve things, life gets easier for the next Generation, they get lazier or more complacent. As long as each generation keeps the cycle going, it gets worse... Until something comes along to toughen them up... Like WWII or worse.

Was that the question, the hardiness of prior generations compared to today? Is THAT the measure?

"Well, sure, we murdered countless natives but, damn, it's not like they were gonna kill themselves! That ####s hard work, man! In all weather! Poor food! No health care, no air support!"

Is THAT the argument????

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That said, the hardiness of those living in those times FAR surpasses any living today, OURSELVES included. Its the nature of our society... As we improve things, life gets easier for the next Generation, they get lazier or more complacent. As long as each generation keeps the cycle going, it gets worse... Until something comes along to toughen them up... Like WWII or worse.

And that's wrong, too. The VAST majority of civil war casualties were due to exposure, malnutrition and simply marched to death. There was a saying at the time that you needed to get through a winter with the troops you had and then, the ones that didn't die off, NOW you had an army. This romantic notion of the 'good old' days is just that; romanticized. Kids today would suffer worse in that sense because they are softer in some ways. They'd also not have a civil war over slavery.

Wishbone

Was that the question, the hardiness of prior generations compared to today? Is THAT the measure?

"Well, sure, we murdered countless natives but, damn, it's not like they were gonna kill themselves! That ####s hard work, man! In all weather! Poor food! No health care, no air support!"

Is THAT the argument????

Larry... Not gonna play.

Go back to your Buchanan books and conspiracies how swell the Nazis and Hitler really were and how much of an ####### England and the United States were for picking on the poor Axis.

:cheers:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That said... I for one don't believe the current crop could step up as others have because they've become much more immature as adults.

Step up???? The Greatest Generation didn't gather around and say "We gotta go save them Jews!" They were drafted.

Maybe todays kids would have made deals with Nazi Germany LONG before the first shots were fired and the holocaust never happens? Maybe they would have been busy trying to bring Stalin to justice for his holocaust against 20 some odd million of his own people instead of praising him as a good leader?

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Larry... Not gonna play.

Go back to your Buchanan books and conspiracies how swell the Nazis and Hitler really were and how much of an ####### England and the United States were for picking on the poor Axis.

:cheers:

The Nazi's were NOT swell. They just were not as awful as the communists.

Wishbone

Step up???? The Greatest Generation didn't gather around and say "We gotta go save them Jews!" They were drafted.

Maybe todays kids would have made deals with Nazi Germany LONG before the first shots were fired and the holocaust never happens? Maybe they would have been busy trying to bring Stalin to justice for his holocaust against 20 some odd million of his own people instead of praising him as a good leader?

Actually you'd find that many of them eagerly enlisted.

And talk to your fellow Democrats about that last part.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Via a Reset button or a pallet of cash, Fonzie?

You're just grumpy.

Look it. The US had decent ties to Germany. EVERYONE hated and feared the Commies, including Good Sir Winston of Megadeth. Germany was a democracy. It would have made FAR more sense for world peace AND the holocaust never happens, if we followed the advice of Ford and Kennedy and others who saw a continuation of the path of Western civilization WITH Germany. Instead, we helped destroy it and over half the globe has been suffering the joys of communism ever since.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Yeah? let's see who link first to what 'many' looks like. And I disagree with the 'eager' bit. That's crap. Eager. Horse####.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

Yeah? Fair enough. If it's in the past, then, who is praising the bear these day, ####o? Yup, that would be the GOP who just love them some Vlad the Shirtless.

And I used to be a GOP'er. So, there. At least I know who are NOT friends are.

Wishbone

Yeah? Fair enough. If it's in the past, then, who is praising the bear these day, ####o? Yup, that would be the GOP who just love them some Vlad the Shirtless.

And I used to be a GOP'er. So, there. At least I know who are NOT friends are.
Neither of the two primaries are my party so I don't have an investment...

What I do see is the GOP trying to find a way to build a relationship with Russia, not as a friend, but hopefully not as a overt and active enemy.

I don't think that we can expect something like that with Putin, but perhaps some future event might change with whom were dealing. Allies and Enemies change over time. Also, Putin isn't what I would call a devout Communist. Thats' the part that Dems love, and likely why they dislike Putin so vehemently as opposed to their history with Stalin, Khrushchev, Brezhnev or Gorbachev.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Neither of the two primaries are my party so I don't have an investment...

What I do see is the GOP trying to find a way to build a relationship with Russia, not as a friend, but hopefully not as a overt and active enemy.

I don't think that we can expect something like that with Putin, but perhaps some future event might change with whom were dealing. Allies and Enemies change over time. Also, Putin isn't what I would call a devout Communist. Thats' the part that Dems love, and likely why they dislike Putin so vehemently as opposed to their history with Stalin, Khrushchev, Brezhnev or Gorbachev.

I'm ALL for getting along with Russia. We share a common enemy. That said, we shared a common enemy with Germany, too, back in the day.

luvmygdaughters

Uh, just a note there bright guy...my father enlisted and changed his birth certificate to do so. He as 17 years of age when he joined.

Wishbone

hqdefault.jpg

Get Off My Lawn!

This_person

Larry, some if not most of the kids are ok. Many of the kids are not.

Just because people openly prefer one thing about the past, that does NOT in any way mean they like everything about the past. I loved my kids as babies, and I love my kids as adults. I miss when they were babies, but that does not mean that I wish they weren't adults now. I am not the biggest fan of my ex-wife, but I do not wish I never met her because then I would not have my kids - I can love my kids without still being in love with my ex-wife.

Your assertion that one must love everything about the past to love a part of it is simply invalid. I've shown you many ways it is invalid. You need to read this with the goal of understanding, not with the goal of responding.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Just because people openly prefer one thing about the past, that does NOT in any way mean they like everything about the past.

According to the Left (and that would be Larry's new gang), if you reminisce fondly about a cartoon you watched when you were a kid, you are longing for the days of slavery, Jim Crow, and women being considered property.

Yes, it's stupid.