Three Catagories

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
You're absolutely right about the people having hangups or excess baggage...but that applies to both younger and older. I've seen it both ways. The younger ones are a lot of fun, but not always responsible. The older ones I have dated are usually set in their ways and pretty much home bodies...LOL
I generally find a lot of single men in Northern VA....hell of a drive to meet someone, but all worth the time...young and old!
Absolutely! I worked for the phone company in northern Va for 24 years. Talk about striking gold! I had boatloads of women's names, addresses and phone numbers and the right to go into their homes or work places just because I was the "phone man".:lmao: Life was good back then!
As far as "baggage" goes, I meant "head" issues, not kids. Many of the ladies I dated with kids were cool but too reserved and family oriented for me. I guess they had to be though.
I look for the ones who are really outgoing and fun but not reckless and I really don't want to date "homebodies" either.
I got phone numbers from 3 younger gals at 2 restaurants in the last 3 weeks but they each work 2 jobs so our time is very limited. So I'm still looking because, I've found that they're not ready for a stable longterm relationship but are looking for some fun (Harley fun):yay: Sadly, I find that many gals have NO personality at all but once in a great while I find ones that really know how to hold up their side of the conversation AND are available too! Y'all need to come out and advertize yourselves more!!!:razz:

Black-Francis

Absolutely! I worked for the phone company in northern Va for 24 years. Talk about striking gold! I had boatloads of women's names, addresses and phone numbers and the right to go into their homes or work places just because I was the "phone man".:lmao: Life was good back then!
As far as "baggage" goes, I meant "head" issues, not kids. Many of the ladies I dated with kids were cool but too reserved and family oriented for me. I guess they had to be though.
I look for the ones who are really outgoing and fun but not reckless and I really don't want to date "homebodies" either.
I got phone numbers from 3 younger gals at 2 restaurants in the last 3 weeks but they each work 2 jobs so our time is very limited. So I'm still looking because, I've found that they're not ready for a stable longterm relationship but are looking for some fun (Harley fun):yay: Sadly, I find that many gals have NO personality at all but once in a great while I find ones that really know how to hold up their side of the conversation AND are available too! Y'all need to come out and advertize yourselves more!!!:razz:

Sound like a stalker!

dn0121

u hit it on the head. the other issue is that if you dont work on base, live in the area, and younger your screwed in meeting people (male or female) all together.

godsbutterfly

Free to Fly
I came here as a divorcee completely not looking for anyone. I met my new husband when I went to get insurance! I'm glad I don't have the whole "Dating Game" scenario to deal with because it can be hard to meet people for sure! Don't give up - you never know where you might find somebody.

A female friend (married) suggested that the problem with the singles situation down here in SoMd is that there effectively three distinct groups of 30s and 40s professional singles.

1) Technical folks on base (majority men)
2) Teachers and staff in the schools (majority women)
3) medical folks at the hospitals (majority women)

4) folks who work for the county & state

T

toppick08

A female friend (married) suggested that the problem with the singles situation down here in SoMd is that there effectively three distinct groups of 30s and 40s professional singles.

She says she knows single folks in all three groups that complain that the dating pool is pretty shallow.

How can we integrate these groups better? I'm in the first group. Obviously I know lots of folks from the base and have plenty of friends to socialize with, but I don't know where the teachers and medical folks hang out. I know they're out there and have seen some of my friend's teacher buddies out now and then, but where are they the rest of the time?

Thoughts?

The problem is putting people into "groups", basing thoughts on what they perceive are traits of each, and not getting to know the actual person.(s).............

Roberta

OLD WISE ONE
The problem is putting people into "groups", basing thoughts on what they perceive are traits of each, and not getting to know the actual person.(s).............

OMFG, Did you just say something that made sense?????

It's the big one Elizbeth.........................

Last edited:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I'm in the first category and I am a divorcee. I have found that the techies are a lot younger than me (not that is a problem for me...their story is wanting a woman that is on the cover of Cosmitpolitan). I have also discovered that no matter what or how you categorize a person, there's not very many single intelligent men who want to date divorced woman with bratty kids. Just my personal observation and opinion.
:fixed:

Queenofdenile1

Love is Blind

She says she knows single folks in all three groups that complain that the dating pool is pretty shallow.

How can we integrate these groups better? I'm in the first group. Obviously I know lots of folks from the base and have plenty of friends to socialize with, but I don't know where the teachers and medical folks hang out. I know they're out there and have seen some of my friend's teacher buddies out now and then, but where are they the rest of the time?

Thoughts?

There is a million dollar question. I'm single, very few people to date. I work uptown. Do what everyone tells me "Go online". I haven't, but that is what people tell me. Join one of those dating sites like MATCH.com or E-Harmony. The idea of having to pay to meet someone just doesn't do it for me.

Queenofdenile1

Love is Blind
Again, with guys, it is mostly a physical thing, so Cosmo girls work for us but it depends what they're after too. I'm not after marriage right now so I go out with anyone who I feel an attraction towards. I go out for fun and companionship. If it gets serious, fine but, lately, I find myself going out with younger gals because they are so much fun and they're not coming in with the hangups (issues) of the older ones. But, as jetmonkey said, we really don't have much choice. I can count, on one hand, the women I've dated who have never been married and are without kids (as I am). I can't count the number that I've been with that have been divorced.

I'm married w/o kids. If I meet a guy, he's generally too young for me (Think Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher), too old for me (15+ years) or has serious issues.

I've come to the realization that it will either happen when it's supposed to or I'm destined to be alone the rest of my life. I'm starting to think the latter.

united

There is a million dollar question. I'm single, very few people to date. I work uptown. Do what everyone tells me "Go online". I haven't, but that is what people tell me. Join one of those dating sites like MATCH.com or E-Harmony. The idea of having to pay to meet someone just doesn't do it for me.

I agree with that. It doesn't make sense. I am lost on where I should be hanging out to meet someone. I am not big into the bar scene and not sure where else to go.

belvak

Happy Camper
my guess is the medical folks are at the hospital the teachers are at school and the base retards are out fishing or something. its just better to come here and ask"Who wants to get laid?" :jerry:

:roflmao:

funny cause I only date married women. Then you do not have to worry about all the commitment crap:whistle:

:smack: Butthead!!

I'm married w/o kids. If I meet a guy, he's generally too young for me (Think Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher), too old for me (15+ years) or has serious issues. I've come to the realization that it will either happen when it's supposed to or I'm destined to be alone the rest of my life. I'm starting to think the latter.

:huggy: I know it seems like it will never work out, but just let life take care of itself!!!

ItalianScallion

Harley Rider
I'm married w/o kids. If I meet a guy, he's generally too young for me (Think Demi Moore and Ashton Kutcher), too old for me (15+ years) or has serious issues.
I've come to the realization that it will either happen when it's supposed to or I'm destined to be alone the rest of my life. I'm starting to think the latter.
Did you say you're married w/o kids and yet looking???? Typo I hope....
I heard that the best way to meet someone is by having a mutual friend set you up. When I ask my friends if they know any single ladies, they say NO. (Sounds like a Rodney Dangerfield joke).
I am lost on where I should be hanging out to meet someone. I am not big into the bar scene and not sure where else to go.
I gave up the bar scene many years ago but once in a while I hang out at Gilligans because I know the owner and a few of the waitresses. It seems that 90% are couples and the rest are the typical "bar flies".
The problem is what there is to choose from down here (and I mean both genders). Just my observation and not to degrade anyone but the way some dress, carry themselves and talk really speaks volumes about the attitude of many people in this country.
Online dating isn't much different. The faces are all different but the bio's read like they were cut & pasted from each other. As I've said before, you available people need to get out and advertise yourselves more!:evil:

sockgirl77

I think there are way more categories of people than the OP listed. But, maybe that's what he is only looking for. IMO the list goes at least something like this.

1) Base employees
2) Educators
3) Health field
4) Local govt.
5) Bar & Restaurant
6) Retail
7) Self-employed
8) Commuters
9) College students
10) Retired or Unemployed

Those are the ones I can come up with. You have singles of all reasons in all of those categories down here. Where you fit in has nothing to do with who you can meet if you have an open mind.

What has affected my dating life when looking to meet men locally is that I only run into the same categories of men. Married, shacking, in a relationship, have their own circle of friends that they have no problem finding someone to be involved in. So, excluding these here are the top killers as to why I'm single.

A lot of the black men down here are not interested in only black women which poses and imbalance (Ex. 10 black men, 10 black women, 5 any other race women). This goes for the 20-30y/o and the ones on base. Fine, they know what they like.

Most of the white men are not interested in dating black women for whatever reason. I have seen dating profiles where every race/ethnicity category will be checked except black as a preference of white men. Whatever, at least they know what they don't like.

The other ethnicities (non-black) tend to be phantoms and you only see them in their place of business or maybe shopping with their families. And, usually there is a culture/language barrier that has to be broken through.

For what it's worth, I'm not bitter about the imbalance because my preference is black men so why shouldn't someone else prefer their own. And, I think there are enough white women down here for all the white men down here so white men really have no need to date outside of their race.

I have befriended a lot of black women down here via online sites and have asked them where do they go to meet men, it's always up the road (Waldorf, PG, DC). No clue why they don't meet men locally (too recycled?). It's at least a plan but I wonder how the gas prices will affect it as most men up the road don't look down the road because the women up the road are plenty.

Ok, I'm done. :flowers:

Ummmm...we're in St. Mary's and you failed to list

11. Blue colar.

:howdy: