Tony Stewart runs over another racer...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
That makes a lot of sense to me (raced 4x4 MX trucks for 7 years). If/when I had to turn, it required throttle and a lot of it. Turning the wheel without the gas applied, or worse, decelerating, resulted in no change of direction at all..the front end would "push" and the vehicle wouldn't change direction in the slightest. Anyone who has has not raced vehicles that behave like that on dirt tracks would think that makes no sense. They expect a vehicle's direction to be responsive to the steering wheel alone.

Now of course I realize we are talking about rear-wheel-drive racers here...but it is on dirt and they are extremely short wheel-base, so throttle controls direction more than steering (or only in close coordination with steering) with those too.

Yup.

Looks to me like the kid got closer and closer and Tony reacted as per what it takes to avoid. The alternative, that this long seasoned of a guy, in a race he was running for fun, suffered an instant blind rage and hit the kid. It's possible. Normally, when I put people into the wall, I expect them to be pissed at me. :shrug:

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I'm not agreeing or disagreeing, but I know a number of people that still call Sterling Marlin, "Murdering Marlin".

Like I said, if this was #3, the kid would have never done it because he'd KNOW he'd be run over AND the fans would say "Rubin's racin'" And, as I say, we, people, do mean and crazy ####. It's not impossible to me that Stewart, in a flash went "Oh, yeah?" Just doesn't seem likely to me. And, again, that kid went WAY out of his way to be in position to get killed.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Paul Kinney who passed by in his racecar right before Stewart - “I seen Kevin clear as day. Nobody else ran into him, either.”
He wasn't as low on the track at that time nor was he running right at their car like he was Tonys.

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
who was the rock star, completely drunk - killed someone in a VW Beetle with his Ferrari - did 30 days

Boy this one actually made me so some searching. Vince Neal killed a passenger driving drunk to a liquor store. in 1984 while driving a Lamborghini he did kill his passenger and two others in the back of the car suffered brain damage he did receive a 30 day jail sentence but only served 15 days. He was later arrested for DUI in a Ferrari in 20007. No mention of a VW in what I found.

Leif Garret paralyzed his best friend for life while driving high and drunk in a Porsche in 1979.

Still looking for more on this.

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
The mainstream media coverage of this has been dreadful. When MSNBC is the responsible adult in the room, we have a problem.

The only networks that were responsible with their coverage were Al Jazeera America, MSNBC and NBC Sports Network. And nobody watches either of those three. :ohwell:

ABC News, CBS News, CNN, ESPN, Fox News, FOX Sports and The Washington Post, all driven by an agenda, did serious damage to the credibility of the sport of auto racing.

PeoplesElbow

The mainstream media coverage of this has been dreadful. When MSNBC is the responsible adult in the room, we have a problem.

The only networks that were responsible with their coverage were Al Jazeera America, MSNBC and NBC Sports Network. And nobody watches either of those three. :ohwell:

ABC News, CBS News, CNN, ESPN, Fox News, FOX Sports and The Washington Post, all driven by an agenda, did serious damage to the credibility of the sport of auto racing.

A couple years ago after a string of air show accidents I read several articles where people wanted to ban airshows. I can't imagine the assault auto racing will receive, there will be another death soon and I can almost guarantee that it will be plastered all over the media. I think the best we can hope for is that it is not a spectator.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Boy this one actually made me so some searching. Vince Neal killed a passenger driving drunk to a liquor store. in 1984 while driving a Lamborghini he did kill his passenger and two others in the back of the car suffered brain damage he did receive a 30 day jail sentence but only served 15 days. He was later arrested for DUI in a Ferrari in 20007. No mention of a VW in what I found.

Leif Garret paralyzed his best friend for life while driving high and drunk in a Porsche in 1979.

Still looking for more on this.

naa I it was Vince Neal ... the 30 sentence fits ...

... I am not sure where the VW came from, a vague recollection of a tv story yrs ago ... now if I could only remember the TV show

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
A couple years ago after a string of air show accidents I read several articles where people wanted to ban airshows.

because people are stupid .. they want to ban things

... accidents happen, Space Shuttles explode, Russia shoots down a civilian air liner ... HAMAS rockets fall on Gaza, not Israel

the racing organizations certainly could change the rules as Tilted and Larry pointed out .... get out of your car sure, get off the track, if yo dumb ass runs out into traffic you will be fined and suspended - no appeals, no question

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
When MSNBC is the responsible adult in the room, we have a problem.

The only networks that were responsible with their coverage were Al Jazeera America, MSNBC and NBC Sports Network.

what no opinion from Russia Today ..
... no Tweets from ISIS ? the are tweeting about Robin Williams after all

it is not news, it is sensationalism ... it it bleeds it leads

DipStick

what no opinion from Russia Today ..
... no Tweets from ISIS ? the are tweeting about Robin Williams after all

it is not news, it is sensationalism ... it it bleeds it leads

This incident has rocked the foundation of one of America's largest, most popular sports. How is that not news? :shrug:

I just wish they could've covered AJ Allmendinger's win. It was a bright moment during a very dark time for the sport.

DipStick

A couple years ago after a string of air show accidents I read several articles where people wanted to ban airshows. I can't imagine the assault auto racing will receive, there will be another death soon and I can almost guarantee that it will be plastered all over the media. I think the best we can hope for is that it is not a spectator.

The media has already waged an all out assault on the sport. Like I said, Al Jazeera America, MSNBC and NBC Sports Network are the only outlets that have covered this responsibly.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The media has already waged an all out assault on the sport. .

I bet it fades out just as quickly as every other story that the media decides to sensationalize, if no charges are ever brought against Stewart. The MSM has a very short attention span if a story does not have enough glitter to keep the attention of the low-info types...

DipStick

I bet it fades out just as quickly as every other story that the media decides to sensationalize, if no charges are ever brought against Stewart. The MSM has a very short attention span if a story does not have enough glitter to keep the attention of the low-info types...

Until someone tries to run over track officials, photographers and other drivers causing a brawl at Bowman Gray Stadium again. That place is a cancer to the sport.

That's the track ABC News used to disparage the entire sport.

They get 15,000-20,000 people in the stands every week because of these antics. Now, it's being used as a weapon against the entire sport.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Until someone tries to run over track officials, photographers and other drivers causing a brawl at Bowman Gray Stadium again. That place is a cancer to the sport.

They get 15,000-20,000 people in the stands every week because of these antics. Now, it's being used as a weapon against the entire sport.

You must be "real close" to those stories..because I never see any reference to them. All the "NASCAR nuts" that hand around here watching races on a Sunday never mention any of that.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Now, it's being used as a weapon against the entire sport.

come on Andrew, every progressive living on both coasts in large cities, knows NASCAR is full of knuckle dragging rubes