Tony Stewart runs over another racer...

CrashTest

This incident has rocked the foundation of one of America's largest, most popular sports.

And this is why I think Stewart will become a pariah to those in racing.

This is the last thing racing needed considering it's struggles in recent years. Many rank and file within the racing industry might view this as a documented hothead taking food off their table because of the fallout.

The drivers within the racing industry might view this as a documented hothead killing one of their own. Far worse then a documented hothead killing a drunk fan.

Tigerlily

Luvin Life !!!
The media has already waged an all out assault on the sport. Like I said, Al Jazeera America, MSNBC and NBC Sports Network are the only outlets that have covered this responsibly.

I am going to try and say this as nice as I can, you need another hobby. Enjoying a sport is one thing, living it and breathing it from your living room is a step up from enjoyment. Honestly had Tony Stewart had not been in the race, I do not believe we would have even seen 25% of the media attention given. For cripes sake they are driving dune buggy like vehicles with some odd looking wind flaps. Personally I don't like it when Big Star drivers race in any other events other than Indy Races (because the cars are so different) because I thinks it takes away from the young ones with talent being seen, earning their dues and moving up. Yeah it may bring in a bunch of money for the track but if I was a young buck working my way up I would be pretty peeved that this middle aged dude feels the need to race in anything he can. To me that seems like a stupid and pathetic way to stroke Tony's ego.

All this debate back and forth reminded me of a race I saw years ago that was Black Flagged. Everyone was told to cut their engines and stay in their cars, But Jimmy Stewart felt those rules did not apply to him and got out twice not just once to pull out the sheet metal that was rubbing his tire while racing. How knew the rules, chose to break them anyway and I believe he was red flagged for it. I feel about the same about both of them, hot heads who are way too old to act like teenagers.

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
I am going to try and say this as nice as I can, you need another hobby. Enjoying a sport is one thing, living it and breathing it from your living room is a step up from enjoyment. Honestly had Tony Stewart had not been in the race, I do not believe we would have even seen 25% of the media attention given. For cripes sake they are driving dune buggy like vehicles with some odd looking wind flaps. Personally I don't like it when Big Star drivers race in any other events other than Indy Races (because the cars are so different) because I thinks it takes away from the young ones with talent being seen, earning their dues and moving up. Yeah it may bring in a bunch of money for the track but if I was a young buck working my way up I would be pretty peeved that this middle aged dude feels the need to race in anything he can. To me that seems like a stupid and pathetic way to stroke Tony's ego.

All this debate back and forth reminded me of a race I saw years ago that was Black Flagged. Everyone was told to cut their engines and stay in their cars, But Jimmy Stewart felt those rules did not apply to him and got out twice not just once to pull out the sheet metal that was rubbing his tire while racing. How knew the rules, chose to break them anyway and I believe he was red flagged for it. I feel about the same about both of them, hot heads who are way too old to act like teenagers.

:confused: :otter:

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
They had to red flag Jimmy cuz even though he was a great actor and WWII pilot, he had no business driving that Sprint buggy. :lol:

And drivers get black flagged while races get red flagged. You had it backwards. This is what happens when people who no nothing about racing give their 2 cents, they get it all wrong. :biggrin:

Attachments

• JS.jpg
    JS.jpg
    4.7 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:

DipStick

They had to red flag Jimmy cuz even though he was a great actor and WWII pilot, he had no business driving that Sprint buggy. :lol:

And drivers get black flagged while races get red flagged. You had it backwards. This is what happens when people who no nothing about racing give their 2 cents, they get it all wrong. :biggrin:

:roflmao:

And it Sterling Marlin, "Jimmy Stewart" or Tony Stewart or whoever she's trying to think of. LOL.

Last edited:

DipStick

True story. I was covering a race at Myrtle Beach Speedway in South Carolina last year. They have this dude come in to announce the race. Dude asks me what the yellow and white flags are for. Then, he spoke over the PA about how "that Haley Moody guy" (who won the race) was pretty good. Um..... Haley Moody is a girl.

Hilarity often ensues when people who know nothing about racing comment about racing.

mamatutu

mama to two

:fixed just for you: And, yes, you would know all about that 2 cents thing, even when you are wrong! :biggrin:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The father of Kevin Ward hasn't read that yet.

Maybe he never will. I wouldn't want to guess what my response would be, as a father, either.

And...haters will do what haters always do. There will always be drivers that fans hate. Always has been. A strikingly large portion of our population cannot separate sport from real life. But ya know what?..its even worse in other countries, where people get killed for how badly they missed hitting, or blocking, a stupid black and white kick ball.

Carry on.

Last edited:

MMDad

Lem Putt
The father of Kevin Ward hasn't read that yet. He wonders why Stewart, the best driver on the track, was so high on the track when passing the crash scene while other drivers were low.

Since Ward intentionally turned toward Stewart, would it have mattered? Ward probably would have just walked even lower to confront him.

Maybe someone should ask Ward's dad why he didn't teach him to look both ways before crossing the street, or to only cross in crosswalks, or to stay out of traffic because it will kill you.

CrashTest

Since Ward intentionally turned toward Stewart, would it have mattered? Ward probably would have just walked even lower to confront him.

Maybe someone should ask Ward's dad why he didn't teach him to look both ways before crossing the street, or to only cross in crosswalks, or to stay out of traffic because it will kill you.

Suppose Ward (or any other driver for that matter) is dazed, injured, and wandering around. Have to be ready. That's why they call it a "caution".

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Suppose Ward (or any other driver for that matter) is dazed, injured, and wandering around. Have to be ready. That's why they call it a "caution".

WTF??? Anyone..and I do mean anyone... watching the videos can see that Ward is very aggressively proceeding to "confront" Stewart from the moment he extricated himself from his car. There isn't any "wandering" involved whatsoever. We can argue the stupidity of trying to confront a moving vehicle whilst on foot, but the obvious fact that that is exactly what he did is beyond question.

You've lost it. Hate does that...but how do you end up "hating" a sports figure??

Last edited:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member

Yet able to unhook his safety gear, climb out and charge the driver he thought had wronged him. Maybe you should suppose about what actually took place. Oh, the caution on that track is 40MPH, in a vehicle without a speedometer, on a wet dirt track, in I believe what was a 360 CI class vehicle making 700 HP when the "accident" happened.

CrashTest

WTF??? Anyone..and I do mean anyone... watching the videos can see that Ward is very aggressively proceeding to "confront" Stewart from the moment he extricated himself from his car. There isn't any "wandering" involved whatsoever. We can argue the stupidity of trying to confront a moving vehicle whilst on foot, but the obvious fact that that is exactly what he did is beyond question.

You've lost it. Hate does that...but how do you end up "hating" a sports figure??

You're missing the point. As a driver passing a crash, you have to ready for anything. Suppose Ward is not confronting Stewart. Suppose Ward is laying injured in the track. Passing drivers have to be ready. Someone like Steward would have learned that early in his career.

No doubt in my mind that Stewart attempted to buzz that guy and it went wrong. Just look how much higher he is on the track versus the other cars that passed.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
You're missing the point. As a driver passing a crash, you have to ready for anything. Suppose .

You lost me completely at "suppose"

I raced dirt track courses for 7 fricking years. Might still be if I hadn't broken my back doing it. You??

Carry on.