Tony Stewart runs over another racer...

MMDad

Lem Putt
Is that normal, to jump out of your car and start a bar fight in the middle of a race? That's a real question because I don't follow racing. I know the names but nothing really about the drivers. Why isn't there a rule against pedestrians on the track during a race? You'd think they wouldn't allow that sort of thing.

Yes it is. And Tony Stewart is one of the biggest offenders. His temper is why people are turning a stupid move on the kid's part into murder.

The only culpability I see on the part of Stewart is that he is one of the people who, by example, taught the younger drivers that getting out of your car to retaliate against a moving car is appropriate.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Personally I'm of the mindset that Ward's estate should compensate Tony for mental anguish and destorying his ability to continue in his career...:shrug:

Okay, so what I understand to be the situation is indeed the situation. :yay:

I never thought of racing as a bastion of crybabies and bubble daddies. When did that happen? On another note, remember when Jetmonkey and Tater almost came to blows because Jet wasn't properly reverential of Dale Earnhardt's death and Tater was still in mourning? Fun times!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The only culpability I see on the part of Stewart is that he is one of the people who, by example, taught the younger drivers that getting out of your car to retaliate against a moving car is appropriate.

So if Tony Stewart jumps out in front of a moving car, that means everyone should do it? What kind of idiot wants to fist fight a moving race car?

Like I said, I don't know anything about Tony Stewart other than that he's a race car driver and apparently a pretty good one. But if he'd been nailed while running across the track to beat up one of the other cars, would that driver be considered a murderer? Or would it be Stewart's own fault for doing something so dumb?

MMM_donuts

Yes it is. And Tony Stewart is one of the biggest offenders. His temper is why people are turning a stupid move on the kid's part into murder.

Yes. This.

The kid got out of his car because he was a testosterone fueled 20 year old competing in an adrenaline rich environment that thrives off of that type of behavior. And Tony Stewart is known to be emotionally reckless and vindictive on the race track.

We can speculate all we want. It could have been avoided had the kid stayed in his car. Or wore a brighter suit. It also could have been avoided if Tony Stewart stayed towards the bottom of the track. Or slowed down. Or if there was better lighting on the track. There's plenty of blame to pass around and none of us can definitively say that either driver is solely to blame or totally innocent of any wrongdoings.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We can speculate all we want. It could have been avoided had the kid stayed in his car. Or wore a brighter suit. It also could have been avoided if Tony Stewart stayed towards the bottom of the track. Or slowed down. Or if there was better lighting on the track. There's plenty of blame to pass around and none of us can definitively say that either driver is solely to blame or totally innocent of any wrongdoings.

Or if Tony had just let him win. Then Ward wouldn't have gotten mad and jumped out of his car into oncoming traffic. I mean, is winning a car race worth someone's life??? Just let the young guy win next time if he's going to get all pissed off and commit suicide.

Right?

MMDad

Lem Putt
So if Tony Stewart jumps out in front of a moving car, that means everyone should do it? What kind of idiot wants to fist fight a moving race car?
He's one of the biggest names. He was was successful in Indy cars before going to NASCAR. He's what young drivers envision themselves becoming. Of course following the example set by someone who does something stupid is stupid. But this is a "sport" where testosterone driven agression pleases the fans, which pleases the sponsors, which makes money.

Like I said, I don't know anything about Tony Stewart other than that he's a race car driver and apparently a pretty good one. But if he'd been nailed while running across the track to beat up one of the other cars, would that driver be considered a murderer? Or would it be Stewart's own fault for doing something so dumb?
To fans, it depends on who it was. If a Busch or Bodine did it, it would be the drivers fault. If a Waltrip or Jarret did it, it would be Stewarts fault.

Earnhart Sr. was killed in a crash with Sterling Marlin that Earnhart caused. Marlin got death threats over it. Makes no sense, but that's the mindset of so many of these fans.

Don't try to apply logic to this. It won't work. It's essentially WWE at high speed.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Or if Tony had just let him win. Then Ward wouldn't have gotten mad and jumped out of his car into oncoming traffic. I mean, is winning a car race worth someone's life??? Just let the young guy win next time if he's going to get all pissed off and commit suicide.

Right?
That's not Tony. He wasn't in this race because he needed the money. He was only doing it because he enjoyed it. He loved that type of racing, and he loved winning. "Letting" someone else win is like saying that you should just let your spouse sleep with whoever they want.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Yo, Mr. know it all there was a race car driver named Jimmy Stewart, ..... It does not change that that azzhole still got out his car when he shouldn't have and yanked the fender away from his tire and ended up getting in trouble.

Are you saying that you saw him pull the fender away from the tire on an open wheel car?

terbear1225

Okay, so what I understand to be the situation is indeed the situation. :yay:

I never thought of racing as a bastion of crybabies and bubble daddies. When did that happen? On another note, remember when Jetmonkey and Tater almost came to blows because Jet wasn't properly reverential of Dale Earnhardt's death and Tater was still in mourning? Fun times!

what the heck is a bubble daddy? I don't think I've ever heard that term before.

MMM_donuts

Maybe we should up the participation age to 25 so we can ensure maximum prefrontal cortex growth prior to allowing them to participate in such emotional events. That would've prevented at least one death from occurring this year.

:sarcasm:

MMDad

Lem Putt
Maybe we should up the participation age to 25 so we can ensure maximum prefrontal cortex growth prior to allowing them to participate in such emotional events. That would've prevented at least one death from occurring this year.

:sarcasm:

Geoff Bodine did his dumbest crap in his 50's.

MMM_donuts

Geoff Bodine did his dumbest crap in his 50's.

I imagine this experience will change the habit of drivers getting out of their cars, not because of any rule changes but because someone actually died from it. That's a pretty powerful message.

Yeah, many drivers have done it and nothing happened but this one died. DIED.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I imagine this experience will change the habit of drivers getting out of their cars, not because of any rule changes but because someone actually died from it. That's a pretty powerful message.

Yeah, many drivers have done it and nothing happened but this one died. DIED.

There is already a new rule issued prohibiting drivers from leaving their vehicles while on teh track, except in extenuating circumstances like fire. Saw that reported just today. Not sure if it only covers that one race track..the class..or what.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
There is already a new rule issued prohibiting drivers from leaving their vehicles while on teh track, except in extenuating circumstances like fire. Saw that reported just today. Not sure if it only covers that one race track..the class..or what.

NASCAR rule, all races from now on. Don't know how NASCAR rules relate to non-NASCAR events.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
To fans, it depends on who it was.

That's what I figured.

Don't try to apply logic to this.

There is no logic to it, that I can see. I thought maybe I missed something and could change my mind with more information.

"Letting" someone else win is like saying that you should just let your spouse sleep with whoever they want.

Well, it would keep your spouse from cheating on you, right?

I guess I always thought of racing as the last truly "manly" mainstream sport, since the NFL decided to penalize taunting and excessive celebration. It's sad to see that it's gone this way. What should have happened is that Ward jumped out with his dukes up, got killed, and everyone chalked it up to stupid human tricks. Fans ruin every sport with their nonsense.